• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhodes Memorial to Constantia Neck with C. On a loaner Specialized Levo - my oh my, what an  interesting experience to ride a route I know so well on an e-bike in stead of the Trance. It was set up to only add 37 Watts, and even that made the big climbs a pleasure. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well it rode the single track and the rougher rocky bits. Don't knock it until you have tried it. I can well see the day I'm going to need one....... Thanks C!

post-17716-0-93139300-1519557369_thumb.jpg

Capediver, are you based in Dubai? I ride these tracks most weeks I'm here.......just like Mars that's for sure, and you don't want to fall much....very sharp and unforgiving.

Have offices in Saudi, Abu Dhabi and Doha so pretty much flit between them....great to get out there...only a coupla weeks riding weather left tho.....!

Looks very nice but, if you have a fall there those rocks will surely hurt one a lot.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh yes.....freeze frame 1:53....einnnaaa...dodgy gap 1: rider 0!!

Playing bikes on the West Side of town. Followed by a few cold ones, buffet breakfast and good company.

The "old" R72

61a410f99150d85cbb9c11e73c1ee5e3.jpg

Rain makes for muddy rides and nice pics

75765410a1fe6f3366af7801510ed45f.jpg

Owner of this property is in the process of building a coffee shoppe I see some more rides in the area in the near future

151993e32b5b98d1338ecbac749960c5.jpg

2480196dc00a9495f7645f66638e3ee8.jpg

Our first outing to Contermanskloof.

Really enjoyed the vibe.  The regulars were very friendly and showed as the route.

post-110956-0-33950500-1519576387_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-10550300-1519576413_thumb.jpg

Maritz rode most of the route.  He walked a couple of the steep sections through the vineyard.

Then we had some fun on the little downhill section behind the barn. 

post-110956-0-74174100-1519576440_thumb.jpg

On the first run he had a small slip in the pit when he ran out of momentum for the table top to the end of the run.  Got right up and wanted to try it again !!  At first I tried to talk him out of it ... nope !  Right back to the top and completed the run !  Well DONE !!

post-110956-0-64056200-1519576465_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

Our first outing to Contermanskloof.

Really enjoyed the vibe. The regulars were very friendly and showed as the route.

attachicon.gifContermanskloof Februarie 2018.Movie_Snapshot.jpg

attachicon.gifContermanskloof Februarie 2018 (2).Movie_Snapshot.jpg

Maritz rode most of the route. He walked a couple of the steep sections through the vineyard.

Then we had some fun on the little downhill section behind the barn.

attachicon.gifContermanskloof Februarie 2018 (4).Movie_Snapshot.jpg

On the first run he had a small slip in the pit when he ran out of momentum for the table top to the end of the run. Got right up and wanted to try it again !! At first I tried to talk him out of it ... nope ! Right back to the top and completed the run ! Well DONE !!

attachicon.gifContermanskloof Februarie 2018 (3).Movie_Snapshot.jpg

Leaker man, I haven’t been here yet as I thought it is a steep, difficult place to visit.

Leaker man, I haven’t been here yet as I thought it is a steep, difficult place to visit.

I thought so as well .... was then told that it is "more gradual" than Meerendal.

Thought we will give it a try .....

It starts with a climb - not as long, nor as steep, as the first section at Meerendal.

If you want climbing, then you can take the black loop.  If not, you turn back down the koppie and have a nice relaxing ride to the bottom of the farm.  Not too steep, never dangerous.

THEN I got a bit worried !!  I remember the long drive in and UP with the car, and we are now down at the entrance to the farm ..... nothing to do but follow the track.  Basically a countour line for the next killometer until you are on the otherside of the dam.  Now the climb start ....  Interesting climb - 5m UP, then 10m level, again and again and again ....  You climb higher than "stairway-to-heaven" at Meerendal, yet you get to the top "easier" ....  It was only the last 30m that was consistently too steep for Maritz to cycle up.

We LOVE Meerendal .... but we certainly will be visiting Contermanskloof again, and again ... :)

EDIT - some climbing stats:

- Contermanskloof short loop - 5km : 98m climb

- Meerendal short loop (excluding Dorstberg) - 8km : 126m climb

- Meerendal full loop - 15,4km : 350m climbing

Edited by ChrisF

Short clip of our ride at Contermanskloof

PS - would appreciate some guidance on settings for videos for upload to YouTube and other sites.  The original is decent quality .... disapointed in the uploaded quality ...

I thought so as well .... was then told that it is "more gradual" than Meerendal.

Thought we will give it a try .....

It starts with a climb - not as long, nor as steep, as the first section at Meerendal.

If you want climbing, then you can take the black loop. If not, you turn back down the koppie and have a nice relaxing ride to the bottom of the farm. Not too steep, never dangerous.

THEN I got a bit worried !! I remember the long drive in and UP with the car, and we are now down at the entrance to the farm ..... nothing to do but follow the track. Basically a countour line for the next killometer until you are on the otherside of the dam. Now the climb start .... Interesting climb - 5m UP, then 10m level, again and again and again .... You climb higher than "stairway-to-heaven" at Meerendal, yet you get to the top "easier" .... It was only the last 30m that was consistently too steep for Maritz to cycle up.

We LOVE Meerendal .... but we certainly will be visiting Contermanskloof again, and again ... :)

EDIT - some climbing stats:

- Contermanskloof short loop - 5km : 98m climb

- Meerendal short loop (excluding Dorstberg) - 8km : 126m climb

- Meerendal full loop - 15,4km : 350m climbing

Thanks for this !