Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

3 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I was unsure what constituted a Gran Fondo, so I Googled it:

The Italian Cycling Federation defines Gran Fondo as

• at least 120km long (75 miles)
• chip timed from start to finish

So, genuinely curious, does anything over100km constitute a Gran Fondo, in S.A.?
Cheers

Chris

Nope not only in SA rather it's a Strava thing. It used to be 120km no idea what changed... Might be another thing worth Google 'ing

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Zebra said:

So, genuinely curious, does anything over100km constitute a Gran Fondo, in S.A.?
Cheers

Chris

Quick googling shows this:

Gran Fondo means 'big ride' in Italian.
Typically, they are between 75 miles to 150 miles long but can vary depending on the event. Many longer ones exist that range up to 150 miles or more, but the majority of Gran Fondos cover about 100 miles (160 km) and most include some significant climbing along the way.

Wiki describes is quite nicely:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Fondo

Taking all this into account, a "Gran Fondo" then is a 1)  Big ride) that is 2) Timed.
Take that to Strava and that is where you get the "I have completed my Gan Fondo for the month" challenge.  Big ride that is timed.  In the Strava instance, it is usually 100km.

Strava normally does 120km in the summer months of a country for a "gran fondo" ride and 100km over winter.
During the past few years I have noticed they have just reverted to a "standard" 100km every month a bench mark.

Edited by Spinnekop

The One-6-One
(Timed by Strava, so it counts as a Gran Fondo 😎    😂)
Our 100 Mile charity ride for a mate with 2 coffee stops in Scarborough and then finish with some Lagerchinos in Rondebosch. We were so lucky with the weather yesterday!

image.png.3b16e0a6aeaa43cb27345a74d6e03141.png

Edited by splat

14 hours ago, Zebra said:

Cheers

Chris

I know this is Wikipedia, but as the Argus is listed, it's official... a gran fondo is a timed, mass participation fun ride. Important to read my post in comic sans font. 😊

A century is a 100Km ride, and Gran Fondo is a race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Fondo

17 hours ago, ChrisF said:

CONGRATS to @KB280DT :clap:

Saturday night we made the call on a Philladelphia coffee ride.  This is roughly a 50km ride for @KB280DT .... 

At Philladelphia he jokes about a bit of detour on the way home, after already adding 10km enroute to coffee ..... one joke leads to the next .... :eek:

He just completed his first 100km ride.   WELL DONE !!!

2,7 degrees on the way out of Durbanville.  Dit was KOUD ...

image.jpeg.600bb8d6c22a0124f8c5835467b5c4b0.jpeg

Old Malmesbury road .... what a gem for cyclists.

A-8.jpg.6750c09284f1411285f12e341c6cae96.jpg

one broken man at 100km ... but he made it ....  :clap:

A-9.jpg.9d7c68a00c4f43ae1fae5416044a1faf.jpg

Screenshot_20230528_164319_Connect.jpg.5dd14ead0a18629ea329ac45a6691a64.jpg

Dankie @ChrisF, dit was nou n lekker trap. KOUD, en 💩seer aan die einde, but made it. Is bly ek het daai teelepel sement in my koffie gesit in Philadelphia 🤪

Edited by KB280DT

1 hour ago, splat said:

The One-6-One
(Timed by Strava, so it counts as a Gran Fondo 😎    😂)
Our 100 Mile charity ride for a mate with 2 coffee stops in Scarborough and then finish with some Lagerchinos in Rondebosch. We were so lucky with the weather yesterday!

image.png.3b16e0a6aeaa43cb27345a74d6e03141.png

Managed 62% of your elevation gain in 12% of your distance covered yesterday. Now I don't feel so bad anymore 😁

49 minutes ago, KB280DT said:

Dankie Chris, dit was nou n lekker trap. KOUD, en 💩seer aan die einde, but made it. Is bly ek het daai teelepel sement in my koffie gesit in Philadelphia 🤪

Daars niks so lekker soos om 'n mylpaal te bereik wat jy nie gedink het jy kan nie.......
Well done!

1 hour ago, KB280DT said:

Dankie @Spinnekop ek en my saal gaan iewers tot n vergelyk moet kom voor ek weer so n rit aanpak 🤣

I do believe it was 

@Long Wheel Base or @NotSoBigBen that commented on another thread where I was asking for advise on seat and bib types .... the gest of the comment was I needed T.I.T.S., ie more time in the saddle.

As my training ramped up for Augrabies my "old saddle" and "old bibs" suddenly became nicer .... 😏

I am of the opinion that this is a challenge for weekend riders .... you need 3 to 4 rides per week for your behind and saddle to get ready for these long sessions.

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I am of the opinion that this is a challenge for weekend riders .... you need 3 to 4 rides per week for your behind and saddle to get ready for these long sessions.

Look, I am not going to be the one riding without a chamois between my bum and the saddle, but I have consistently been riding only on weekends the last two years, and on the odd occasion that I do manage a long ride (~60km + ), I seem to be able to keep up. My legs give up the fight way before my bum does.

But for pure fitness' sake, more regular rides are definitely the answer for sure.

I have a bit of a cold (or sinus, or whatevs) and told @RobertWhitehead I’d probably only really ride my new bike on Tues or Weds.

But I woke up thinking about it, and after getting some work done this morning, decided to take it for a short, slow ride up and down the road, just to get a feel of gears and brakes and such, and give my boy Seeker a bit of a leg stretch.  

Needless to say sticking to the path was quickly forgotten and we went to hang out in our natural habitat - which is the bike’s natural habitat as well 😁 *happy dance*

What a fantastic waste of time. 

IMG_6313.jpeg.7a9d9131e6f001c5a5f07b4ecf9c6e44.jpegIMG_6314.jpeg.703669f322aea62305a538b68ed0048e.jpegIMG_6318.jpeg.5759a6b57da2e5024119a9b9b350a0fa.jpegIMG_6316.jpeg.e3ae69bc28e3d717e8f73fc8a71b9893.jpeg