Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

Some more post-work Elands Valley goodness with the Slade.

elandsvalley.jpg

I'm seriously considering that bike as an upgrade to my current bike. What were your previous bikes, and did they include a 100mm HT XC bike?

If so, how does this bike relate in terms of comfort on the trail and climbing?

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

you defo need a new bike...look at the wobbly wheels, bent frame and there is a whole section missing from the chainring up front.  :ph34r: 

Any excuse is a good excuse for a new bike! :thumbup:  (Panoramic failure even :blush: )

I'm seriously considering that bike as an upgrade to my current bike. What were your previous bikes, and did they include a 100mm HT XC bike?

If so, how does this bike relate in terms of comfort on the trail and climbing?

My previous bike was a Specialized Chisel (XC bike with Reba 100mm fork), and the bike before that was a Momsen STR single speed with rigid fork.

I was not sure how the Slade would handle the climbs around the Boven area (pretty hilly around here), but I was pleasantly surprised. It climbs really well, so much so that I'm not seeing any difference in my times and average speeds per se (I use a Garmin watch for tracking).

With regards to comfort the Slade wins hands down. I can spend pretty much all day in the mountain without experiencing the same fatigue (especially lower back) I would on for example the Chisel.

The Slade is a very capable trail bike. I am riding trails and clearing obstacles with confidence that were very sketchy on the previous bikes. I can't recommend it highly enough if trail riding is your thing.

Note1:  I made a few changes to the stock setup:

- SADDLE: Specialized Phenom Expert 155mm

- GRIPS: Rapidé Isolator Lock On Grips with KCNC 'Outta My Face' Bar End Plugs

- HANDLEBARS: Rapidé SkyRize-R 780 Bars, Dia:31.8mm, Backsweep: 9°, Upsweep: 5°; W: 780mm

- PEDALS: Shimano Saint Flat Pedals (PD-M828)

Note2:  The dropper post (1st time I've ridden with one) is such a great addition. I'll never ride without one again. What a blast!

Edited by henningvr

Bike shop does it SB. Something with the BB.

How do you deal with a dropped belt ?

Asking because I kinda like the idea and have a frame that could be used for this

How do you deal with a dropped belt ?

Asking because I kinda like the idea and have a frame that could be used for this

All that gets dropped is me out the back of a slow bunch.

But I checked last night.

Put the belt on the rear pulley and then as far as possible on front ring then turn the crank arm. Goes on easy.

Edited by Vetseun

First ride, today, where the ride distance has been in triple figures (before the decimal point), since the Maluti Double90 in April. It’s been a lazy, but active, late-Autumn and Winter for me.

Some previous rides, although only 80-odd or 90-odd, felt like 100.