• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw that Pikey has been up there so went to take a look ... I wonder how many remember the old 'pool downhill'. My first introduction to XC racing around 2003/4, fell there a few times over the years till they closed it. A pretty cool new trail they've put together up there, had fun [emoji3]927386c5d3b84f418edff960fd17f6fd.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

where is this Big Ben?

Saw that Pikey has been up there so went to take a look ... I wonder how many remember the old 'pool downhill'. My first introduction to XC racing around 2003/4, fell there a few times over the years till they closed it. A pretty cool new trail they've put together up there, had fun [emoji3]927386c5d3b84f418edff960fd17f6fd.jpg

The new trails are pretty cool . Not as difficult as they used to be but lots of fun. It's all completely rideable now.

They have done some good stuff at RV .

Rietvlei near Alberhoughton

you have no idea how that pic brings back a flood of emotions and memories!

In the early 80's that used to be the swimming pool we walked up the hill to from what used to be dormitories down the hill. During the school holidays they had "camps" at the farm run by the municipality.

The bus would pick us up in town at the back of the civic hall I think it was, then two hours later we arrived at this farm in the middle of no where. They had loads of game moving to and from the zoo in quarantine. Also had a fully functional milking facility.

Used to run from a monday to a friday. They had a shooting range for pellet guns, trampoline park, hiking trails, flip it was amazing. Could go fishing early in the morning at a dam nearby. I imagine the dam is gone now (look when you are 10 any dam is huge - but I suspect it was more a pond). If I recall there is a river running through the farm?

EDIT: I was 12 when they had a competition for swimming laps underwater in that pool. I set the record that year at 4 lengths under water. The prize at the end of the camp for the record..... a pink fizzer! So worth it for the hero status.

Durbanville Hillz

15:30, 14 on the mercury, chilly northerly breeze

attachicon.gifIMG_1155.JPG

Nice pic and selection of font

Edited by Hairy

The new trails are pretty cool . Not as difficult as they used to be but lots of fun. It's all completely rideable now.

They have done some good stuff at RV .

The correct terms is: it has always been completely rideable, but now rideable by more people. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have no idea how that pic brings back a flood of emotions and memories!

In the early 80's that used to be the swimming pool we walked up the hill to from what used to be dormitories down the hill. During the school holidays they had "camps" at the farm run by the municipality.

The bus would pick us up in town at the back of the civic hall I think it was, then two hours later we arrived at this farm in the middle of no where. They had loads of game moving to and from the zoo in quarantine. Also had a fully functional milking facility.

Used to run from a monday to a friday. They had a shooting range for pellet guns, trampoline park, hiking trails, flip it was amazing. Could go fishing early in the morning at a dam nearby. I imagine the dam is gone now (look when you are 10 any dam is huge - but I suspect it was more a pond). If I recall there is a river running through the farm?

EDIT: I was 12 when they had a competition for swimming laps underwater in that pool. I set the record that year at 4 lengths under water. The prize at the end of the camp for the record..... a pink fizzer! So worth it for the hero status.

There is still a dam (pond) at nearby that ppl go fishing in.

The correct terms is: it has always been completely rideable, but now rideable by more people. [emoji16]

my bad ...that was rideable ???????? clearly my lack of skills and ️???? Failed me on 2 sections .

Took a drive on Wednesday, with the bikes on the rack ... just in case ....   :whistling:   :w00t:

Kwaggaskloof dam outside Worcester offers a nice short ride with Maritz ... though the pebbled are just a tad large and loose for a comfortable ride.  Maritz learnt a lot about reading the line and hung in there despite the wheels stepping out often deu to the pebbled.  RESPECT to him for hanging in there and enjoying the ride

post-110956-0-12684300-1502385148_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-73258300-1502385311_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-81380300-1502385369_thumb.jpg

my bad ...that was rideable [emoji51][emoji51] clearly my lack of skills and ️[emoji464] Failed me on 2 sections .

I was in the same until I had a one-on-one with a very skilled downhill rider. Sections I would normally get off and push through suddenly became flowing (single track).

Wendel offered an intermediate skills course, and I was initially one of three people that attended. Two beginner riders (friends) pitched up, one crashed on a very basic bump and ended up in hospital. Their misfortune became my fortune.