Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

And so my trip to the Northern Cape came to a close .....

This is where we stayed while I worked next to the Orange River -

attachicon.gifend of trip-1.jpg

]

if there was pic of the year on bike hub....this ^^

• Replies 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

So often we get up look out the window and decide it's not a good day for a ride, weather looks dodgy for example ... But go out and in almost all cases it turns out an absolute cracker ride!

Tokai. Sunday 24th September. I had a wedding to attend that morning. Which as it turned out, would take a chunk out of my afternoon as well. A bit of rain was predicted that day. But it turned out to be an overcast morning followed by some midday sunshine. So much for the rain...I remember thinking.

When we left the wedding some family tagged along back to our place.

It wasn't long before a few sugared up toddlers would start impressing each other with some domestic parkour, which I may have been partaking in for a short while. This meant that the tea and trivial banter happening in the kitchen would be interrupted but at least everyone was entertained. I had to get outta there.

It was about 2 pm. Tokai closes at 5...mmh, might as well smash out a quicky. 

There was some early talk in the groups about who was gonna ride where and it seems I missed out on most of the morning fun. But I don't mind riding alone. As a courtesy I left a message in the group anyways in case anyone wanted to join.

By the time I checked my fone again I was already at Tokai.

At which point I saw a response. Eddy was keen to join. His road ride was a bit uneventful that morning. Wait for me he said. **** that Eddy. I got the big bike. I need as much of a head start as I can get. I was just gonna head up to DH3 and session the jumps anyways. I'll see you up there.

As I set off it started to drizzle. I could pedal to the old parking area. But at the foot of the first jeep track I would need to start pushing. At which point some proper rain started falling. Thunder too. This is gonna be good I thought. Moist grippy terrain. Then halfway through my slog up there the wind started howling. The rain went sideways quickly and I could feel the hail rattling on my lid. Two riders would pass me on my way up. They would also pass me again a few minutes later. They decided to head back down since the weather wasn't playing nice. It was bad. I was soaked. And the wind cut right though me and my wet clothes.

But I soldiered on.

The phone rang just as I reached the top of the first jeep. It was Eddy. 

While I was talking to him I noticed that the weather had actually cleared up nicely.

Stiek uit my bru. I'll wait here. I need a breather anyways. That bike weighs 17kg.

I had a red velvet cupcake in my backpack that I didn't have to share it with Eddy.

A stump to sit on, and quite a view to take in... 

gWRyhOu.jpg

Tokai. Sunday 24th September. I had a wedding to attend that morning. Which as it turned out, would take a chunk out of my afternoon as well. A bit of rain was predicted that day. But it turned out to be an overcast morning followed by some midday sunshine. So much for the rain...I remember thinking.

When we left the wedding some family tagged along back to our place.

It wasn't long before a few sugared up toddlers would start impressing each other with some domestic parkour, which I may have been partaking in for a short while. This meant that the tea and trivial banter happening in the kitchen would be interrupted but at least everyone was entertained. I had to get outta there.

It was about 2 pm. Tokai closes at 5...mmh, might as well smash out a quicky. 

There was some early talk in the groups about who was gonna ride where and it seems I missed out on most of the morning fun. But I don't mind riding alone. As a courtesy I left a message in the group anyways in case anyone wanted to join.

By the time I checked my fone again I was already at Tokai.

At which point I saw a response. Eddy was keen to join. His road ride was a bit uneventful that morning. Wait for me he said. **** that Eddy. I got the big bike. I need as much of a head start as I can get. I was just gonna head up to DH3 and session the jumps anyways. I'll see you up there.

As I set off it started to drizzle. I could pedal to the old parking area. But at the foot of the first jeep track I would need to start pushing. At which point some proper rain started falling. Thunder too. This is gonna be good I thought. Moist grippy terrain. Then halfway through my slog up there the wind started howling. The rain went sideways quickly and I could feel the hail rattling on my lid. Two riders would pass me on my way up. They would also pass me again a few minutes later. They decided to head back down since the weather wasn't playing nice. It was bad. I was soaked. And the wind cut right though me and my wet clothes.

But I soldiered on.

The phone rang just as I reached the top of the first jeep. It was Eddy. 

While I was talking to him I noticed that the weather had actually cleared up nicely.

Stiek uit my bru. I'll wait here. I need a breather anyways. That bike weighs 17kg.

I had a red velvet cupcake in my backpack that I didn't have to share it with Eddy.

A stump to sit on, and quite a view to take in... 

gWRyhOu.jpg

HAHAHAHAHHAHA, it was the public holiday - Monday 25 Sep- check the pic properties :whistling:

and this is where I was hiding from that first shower

Only spot not affected by the rain!!

Lots of people turned around, I waited it out. 5 or so minutes later I proceeded.

Top of Vasbyt/DH3

We were in for a treat!!

In the end the rain did get us. 

Spent a bit of time cleaning up the dragon!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHA, it was the public holiday - Monday 25 Sep- check the pic properties :whistling:

Haha. You're right. I remember that now. There were actually 3 weddings that weekend and I remember telling the wife. Who the hell gets married on public holidays anyways? It was a lekker weekend actually despite all the hustle. Sunday the 24th I managed to squeeze in a surf just before sunset.

That 2nd pic is very cool dale looks like an old oil painting ????

Edited by Pikey

I needed time in the saddle, I've got a ride planned and need to be fit enough to ride it, which is very lacking. Took the steel beast for a trundle into the mountain

View of The Hogs from the Dontsa loop of the Amatola Hiking Trail

post-2975-0-87047000-1507116767_thumb.jpg

High up in the mountain overlooking Gubu Dam and the AFC forests to Mt Kemp

post-2975-0-84078800-1507116772_thumb.jpg

Keiskammahoek in the distance

post-2975-0-95945400-1507116777_thumb.jpg

Stutterheim to the other side

post-2975-0-14688400-1507116782_thumb.jpg

and the obligatory bike pic in the forest near the bottom

post-2975-0-19723400-1507116787_thumb.jpg