• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll need more than coffee to push that gear ratio up Chappies :blush:

48/16....good climbing ratio but run out of gear quickly downhill....

6:10 I parked at Bloemendal.  This was to be my FIRST ever ride of Upper Bloemies, and the Traverse, also my first ride of the Protea Hotel corridor ....

LONG shadows in the very empty parking lot.  

post-110956-0-50126500-1545405563_thumb.jpg

But what a beautiful morning !!!

post-110956-0-13545300-1545405597_thumb.jpg

Fine and dandy to plan a route from a "map" .... eary to head out onto a brand new route all on your own.  Across the road and follow the boards.  And then a sharp left and an impressive little climb.  Route is WELL marked and I soon have to decide between right or left .... Traverse is to the right, followed by yet another little climb.  And suddenly you realise just how high you have climbed in that first kilometer .... WHAT a nice morning !

post-110956-0-67893000-1545405796_thumb.jpg

The board points to the left, yes another little uphill .... BUT, all the bike tracks comes through the gate straight ahead of me ..... okay, maybe I should follow the tracks .... Uhm, NO !!  Patrick actually DID mark the track properly .... and B-Gum forest does not exactly "flow" in reverse ....

post-110956-0-31269400-1545405912_thumb.jpg

Not to worry, this links back to the trail soon enough, and I am heading to the Traverse.  The trail is level, even a slight downhill .... okay, seems like a nice contour line to the Traverse .... NO WAY !!  Left and UP !  Grab a granny and idle up and up .... 

BUT, each up section is just short enough that you actually get to the top before you red-line.  Enough contour to catch your breath, lower your heart rate, and then it is time for the granny to work again .... and again ... and again .... Now I am starting to worry ... am I heading to the mast or to the Traverse .... o-well, just keep those pedals turning and lets see ....

post-110956-0-82285100-1545406202_thumb.jpg

Did I mention it was a breathtakingly beautiful morning ?  The vineyards .... The animals ....

post-110956-0-41584800-1545406261_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-31568700-1545406315_thumb.jpg

Gradually more and more people were doing the route, and coming from the front.  Had a few nice chats, while taking pics ... not once did I have to stop to recover from these hills, but I simply could not pass up on the repeated photo opportunities - thats my story and I am sticking to it !!

From St John Road to De Bron is over all to quick ....  Now for the corridor.  Back at Bloemendal I had a bit of heat-stroke ... turned UP the hill and headed up to the eskom towers ....  Actually surprized that my legs was still co-operative at this stage, well sort off .... my ego is having a tough time with the young lady that breezed past me on that monsterous hill - I was just too late to grab a photo-opportunity ....

Time for some pics at the top.

post-110956-0-56370600-1545406696_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-58231800-1545406723_thumb.jpg

I took a few minutes to make sure I was awake and alert and ready .... Then did Lombards Terra.  At the bottom I took a sharp left and headed up a ways, and did the full length of Home Run.

The coffee at the Bloemendal stand tasted GOOD !!

post-110956-0-31053700-1545406353_thumb.jpg

PS - for the REGULARS - okay, I know this is just a warm up lap for the experienced riders ...

For the NEWBIES - the extra detail was added so that you may KNOW:

- the trails are WELL marked !!  The odd board is partially obscured by vineyards or weeds ... so be alert.

- the uphills are steep, but short !!  Hey, even if you walk a couple of these, so what !!  You will ride the full section in no time at all.

- even if you start on your own, there are MANY people out on the trails !!  Each time I was next to my bike (taking photos of course), riders slowed down to check if I was okay ... just one grumpy old lady that did not greet me.

- The full route was 15,5km.  Cutting out B-Gum, and the extras at Bloemendal you can do this for just more than 12km.  HOWEVER - just make sure you are okay for the 323m elevation, again not so much if you leave out the extras at Bloemendal .... so really do-able, even for newbies.  

- NOTE the limited time on the corridors !!  We must be OFF these by early afternoon !!!

- I took my first ride extra slow, and looking at a couple of the sharp turns, and ruts it is a good idea to first get to know the route before pushing for better times ...

- If you want to do "fun-rides", this route is an excellent training ground !!  Just enough climbs to keep you honost and to prepare you properly for those "later climbs" in the fun rides ....

Edited by ChrisF

6:10 I parked at Bloemendal. This was to be my FIRST ever ride of Upper Bloemies, and the Traverse, also my first ride of the Protea Hotel corridor ....

LONG shadows in the very empty parking lot.

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-1.jpg

But what a beautiful morning !!!

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-2.jpg

Fine and dandy to plan a route from a "map" .... eary to head out onto a brand new route all on your own. Across the road and follow the boards. And then a sharp left and an impressive little climb. Route is WELL marked and I soon have to decide between right or left .... Traverse is to the right, followed by yet another little climb. And suddenly you realise just how high you have climbed in that first kilometer .... WHAT a nice morning !

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-4.jpg

The board points to the left, yes another little uphill .... BUT, all the bike tracks comes through the gate straight ahead of me ..... okay, maybe I should follow the tracks .... Uhm, NO !! Patrick actually DID mark the track properly .... and B-Gum forest does not exactly "flow" in reverse ....

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-5.jpg

Not to worry, this links back to the trail soon enough, and I am heading to the Traverse. The trail is level, even a slight downhill .... okay, seems like a nice contour line to the Traverse .... NO WAY !! Left and UP ! Grab a granny and idle up and up ....

BUT, each up section is just short enough that you actually get to the top before you red-line. Enough contour to catch your breath, lower your heart rate, and then it is time for the granny to work again .... and again ... and again .... Now I am starting to worry ... am I heading to the mast or to the Traverse .... o-well, just keep those pedals turning and lets see ....

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-7.jpg

Did I mention it was a breathtakingly beautiful morning ? The vineyards .... The animals ....

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-10.jpg

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-12.jpg

Gradually more and more people were doing the route, and coming from the front. Had a few nice chats, while taking pics ... not once did I have to stop to recover from these hills, but I simply could not pass up on the repeated photo opportunities - thats my story and I am sticking to it !!

From St John Road to De Bron is over all to quick .... Now for the corridor. Back at Bloemendal I had a bit of heat-stroke ... turned UP the hill and headed up to the eskom towers .... Actually surprized that my legs was still co-operative at this stage, well sort off .... my ego is having a tough time with the young lady that breezed past me on that monsterous hill - I was just too late to grab a photo-opportunity ....

Time for some pics at the top.

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-15.jpg

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-16.jpg

I took a few minutes to make sure I was awake and alert and ready .... Then did Lombards Terra. At the bottom I took a sharp left and headed up a ways, and did the full length of Home Run.

The coffee at the Bloemendal stand tasted GOOD !!

attachicon.gifUpper Bloemies-3.jpg

PS - for the REGULARS - okay, I know this is just a warm up lap for the experienced riders ...

For the NEWBIES - the extra detail was added so that you may KNOW:

- the trails are WELL marked !! The odd board is partially obscured by vineyards or weeds ... so be alert.

- the uphills are steep, but short !! Hey, even if you walk a couple of these, so what !! You will ride the full section in no time at all.

- even if you start on your own, there are MANY people out on the trails !! Each time I was next to my bike (taking photos of course), riders slowed down to check if I was okay ... just one grumpy old lady that did not greet me.

- The full route was 15,5km. Cutting out B-Gum, and the extras at Bloemendal you can do this for just more than 12km. HOWEVER - just make sure you are okay for the 323m elevation, again not so much if you leave out the extras at Bloemendal .... so really do-able, even for newbies.

- NOTE the limited time on the corridors !! We must be OFF these by early afternoon !!!

- I took my first ride extra slow, and looking at a couple of the sharp turns, and ruts it is a good idea to first get to know the route before pushing for better times ...

- If you want to do "fun-rides", this route is an excellent training ground !! Just enough climbs to keep you honost and to prepare you properly for those "later climbs" in the fun rides ....

Got to work the climbing legs to do proper upper bloemies via hill crest

Got to work the climbing legs to do proper upper bloemies via hill crest

Thats for sure !!

Looking at my progress over the last 25 months I am super stoked about this ride !!!!

The hard reality is that I can not cycle with my friends ... my knees are to messed up to keep up with my friends.....  But the Garmin stats show consistent progress !!  And YES, tonight it is my "leg muscles" that ache, not my knees - the benefit of knowing when to use the granny gear and to protect my knees ....

Nice recovery ride tomorrow .... Monday I will see if I can shave a bit of time off my first ride.

Took a drive out to the otherside of the boerewors curtain with the missus, made sure we had our passports.

post-24416-0-88883600-1545472050_thumb.jpeg

First time out at Buffelsdrift, and the place does not disapoint. Had great aspirations of doing the full red route, but ran out of legs and water, so when the "shortcut home" board came up, we hightailed it back.

All in, a great route, work on the climbs to be rewarded with fast, flowy technical downs. post-24416-0-38540700-1545472165_thumb.jpeg

Will go back soon to ride the 13km we missed.post-24416-0-53912600-1545472456_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RocknRolla

Bloemendal for a relaxing recovery ride.

Two laps of B Spot and some coffee.

Then got the bright idea to take a very relaxing ride up to the start of Home Run .... got there and turned left .... UP and up and up ....  Go to the very top and decided to see what the XCO track is all about - knowing that I surely wont be "grabbing air", just a slow scouting ride ....

post-110956-0-83556200-1545577186_thumb.jpg

The start was pretty much what I expected .... did NOT expect the 180 degree turn taking me back up the hill !

The second down section has the very visible jump, followed by yet another 180 degree turn .. but just a short climb.  Though riding up those steps are "interesting" !!  Happy that I did manage most of them.

The third climb took some concentration, up those terraces ..... 

post-110956-0-56134500-1545577384_thumb.jpg

DONT be fooled !!  The chicken run is more trying than most other trails !!  Nice sections with rocks ...

Actually a NICE route !  But be very careful !!  If you come around a corner too fast you may not have enough time plan your options for what awaits you ....

Surely want to be up there with a camera when the serious riders have their fun ....