• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

My bike got me home after dropping my car in George for some mechanical stuff - But I thought I'd share a story

I'm an average rider and set reasonable targets - one being to try and better @PureSavage up a hill really near my house.  From all accounts he's not an average rider but he's only been up the hill once, I live here.

Today was my 6th attempt and I was on track, felt strong and was powering - it's not an easy hill and there's no hiding.  Now you can see the bike and I had on a yellow US postal service shirt with yellow socks, looking the business (or so I thought) and within striking distance of the time.

Guy drives past me and shouts, "hey Lance, whats wrong?, not enough EPO last night?"  I laughed hard.  Laughing and climbing don't go together.  Cost me the 2 mins and 4 seconds I needed.

That said, not sure I'll ever get there and still managed a PB

post-81229-0-19383300-1555061753_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waynemol

My bike got me home after dropping my car in George for some mechanical stuff - But I thought I'd share a story

I'm an average rider and set reasonable targets - one being to try and better @PureSavage up a hill really near my house.  From all accounts he's not an average rider but he's only been up the hill once, I live here.

Today was my 6th attempt and I was on track, felt strong and was powering - it's not an easy hill and there's no hiding.  Now you can see the bike and I had on a yellow US postal service shirt with yellow socks, looking the business (or so I thought) and within striking distance of the time.

Guy drives past me and shouts, "hey Lance, whats wrong?, not enough EPO last night?"  I laughed hard.  Laughing and climbing don't go together.  Cost me the 2 mins and 4 seconds I needed.

That's some of the funniest **** I've read on this here Hub in an age!!

Thanks for brightening my Friday :)

What year is the Trek?

Single Speed & Vegan Junkfood

Destination: Rook Cycles

The plan was simple - rent single speed and have fun around town! First impressions of the shop were very good, definitely a cool vibe rocking, single speed/fixie theme with friendly staff. The transaction was as easy as pie without wasting time - just type in your details on the iPad plus a photo of your ID which they take and payment. Only one person needs to fill in the details, so don't stress if your friend forgot his at home or in the car. Pricing is R450 in total which includes the R150 full day and R300 refundable deposit which they pay you back in cash. Afterwards, they help you with the seatpost height before taking off.

OK starting off, it felt weird being in tekkies and on flat pedals compared to my clipless system on my road bike. Got the hang of it quickly we made our way up the street. It was like we were those single-speed cyclists in New York, squeezing through the traffic. Then we turned right at the robots and then it went south, well for me...

Segment name: Orange Climb - 0.8km @ 11%.

Goeie donkie dag! Daaso breek ek af soos 'n ou motor. Started using muscles I never knew I had as you need to actually pull on the handlebars to lay down the watts. My lower back got sore and ended up walking the last 100m or so, I just could not continue to pedal. After the horrendous climb, we manoeuvred our way through the rich neighbourhood. I say rich because those houses looked like hotels, with some even having their own lifts! We got to the middle part of Kloofnek and made our way safely down via the sidewalk. The plan was to get to Seapoint/Waterfront for flatter road. The traffic in Cape Town is hectic, something I am really not used to. We rode most of the parts on the sidewalks but going down Somerset Rd I had a close encounter with a car. I honestly did not see the guy but did brake in time but the driver went bonkers on the hooter. I did raise my hand to apologise for almost going into his way. Anyways, we went through Sea Point Park - always nice to see the massive green park, something we don't see here often in Durbanville. We stopped in the Waterfront near the Cape Town Helicopters for our first picture.

KHx7pd4.jpg

At this point, we were getting hungry. What will be a unique place to visit? Lekker Vegan! We made our way back into the CBD and boy was there people. Super crowded! And one-way pathways which were meant for cars which we were totally unaware of, we just saw the cars coming our way. Like I said to my friend, Cape Town is literally a different country, in terms of the culture you get, people that stay there and all extraordinary restaurants. We arrived at the Lekker Vegan, a small beautiful restaurant in the corner of the building. Very colourful and relaxing atmosphere. The waiter greeted us and told us we are welcome to park our bikes inside.

We ordered the Lekker Beefy Gatsby: Smokey Vegan Beef Strips, Crispy Chips, Vegan Cheddar Cheese, Lekker Spicy Sauce, Lekker Lettuce & Tomato, Red Onions and Jalapeños. Finishing it off with a can of Bashews Raspberry. Like always, as stated by other customers, we could not finish the whole Gatsby. I emphasise the word massive because you get a lot of food for your money! R155 (R77 per person by splitting the bill via SnapScan). Even tourist passing by could not believe the size of the Gatsby.

LuNXBJ6.jpg

kmTXdVs.jpg

wlDBq01.jpg

Could not ask to spend my off day in a better way - riding bikes and eating delicious food! Had a complete blast on the Rook One bike and definitely consider getting one for commuting, although with easier gears for the climbs.

For more details on the route: https://www.strava.c...343477/overview

Cool story Bro, although you nearly lost me at Vegan...

I would flag that @PureSavage ride ..... he was most likely on an e-bike :P

Yo yo yo ..... we saw you and your tchjommie on the orange commuters while we were also cycling through the city!

Lekker write up, thanks for this.

Oh .... who in their right mind eats a gatsby with a knife and fork :P

Riding in the city is awesome ... you missed highlights such as Bo-Kaap, the old District Six and the Company Gardens just to name a few.

If you do this again, please pop a thread up before hand!

Single Speed & Vegan Junkfood

Destination: Rook Cycles

The plan was simple - rent single speed and have fun around town! First impressions of the shop were very good, definitely a cool vibe rocking, single speed/fixie theme with friendly staff. The transaction was as easy as pie without wasting time - just type in your details on the iPad plus a photo of your ID which they take and payment. Only one person needs to fill in the details, so don't stress if your friend forgot his at home or in the car. Pricing is R450 in total which includes the R150 full day and R300 refundable deposit which they pay you back in cash. Afterwards, they help you with the seatpost height before taking off.

OK starting off, it felt weird being in tekkies and on flat pedals compared to my clipless system on my road bike. Got the hang of it quickly we made our way up the street. It was like we were those single-speed cyclists in New York, squeezing through the traffic. Then we turned right at the robots and then it went south, well for me...

Segment name: Orange Climb - 0.8km @ 11%.

Goeie donkie dag! Daaso breek ek af soos 'n ou motor. Started using muscles I never knew I had as you need to actually pull on the handlebars to lay down the watts. My lower back got sore and ended up walking the last 100m or so, I just could not continue to pedal. After the horrendous climb, we manoeuvred our way through the rich neighbourhood. I say rich because those houses looked like hotels, with some even having their own lifts! We got to the middle part of Kloofnek and made our way safely down via the sidewalk. The plan was to get to Seapoint/Waterfront for flatter road. The traffic in Cape Town is hectic, something I am really not used to. We rode most of the parts on the sidewalks but going down Somerset Rd I had a close encounter with a car. I honestly did not see the guy but did brake in time but the driver went bonkers on the hooter. I did raise my hand to apologise for almost going into his way. Anyways, we went through Sea Point Park - always nice to see the massive green park, something we don't see here often in Durbanville. We stopped in the Waterfront near the Cape Town Helicopters for our first picture.

KHx7pd4.jpg

At this point, we were getting hungry. What will be a unique place to visit? Lekker Vegan! We made our way back into the CBD and boy was there people. Super crowded! And one-way pathways which were meant for cars which we were totally unaware of, we just saw the cars coming our way. Like I said to my friend, Cape Town is literally a different country, in terms of the culture you get, people that stay there and all extraordinary restaurants. We arrived at the Lekker Vegan, a small beautiful restaurant in the corner of the building. Very colourful and relaxing atmosphere. The waiter greeted us and told us we are welcome to park our bikes inside. 

We ordered the Lekker Beefy Gatsby: Smokey Vegan Beef Strips, Crispy Chips, Vegan Cheddar Cheese, Lekker Spicy Sauce, Lekker Lettuce & Tomato, Red Onions and Jalapeños. Finishing it off with a can of Bashews Raspberry. Like always, as stated by other customers, we could not finish the whole Gatsby. I emphasise the word massive because you get a lot of food for your money! R155 (R77 per person by splitting the bill via SnapScan). Even tourist passing by could not believe the size of the Gatsby. 

LuNXBJ6.jpg

kmTXdVs.jpg

wlDBq01.jpg

Could not ask to spend my off day in a better way - riding bikes and eating delicious food! Had a complete blast on the Rook One bike and definitely consider getting one for commuting, although with easier gears for the climbs.

For more details on the route: https://www.strava.c...343477/overview

Just to add ... when I was a student I spent a holiday riding as a cycle courier in town ... was doing 80-120km per day in the city and surrounds ... what a life it was!

Hairy

Is there a company running bike courier services in Cape Town? Asking for one of the young Ds' who wants a student / holiday job. Or how would a student find a job like that?

City sprint are still doing bike deliveries ... they are now based in P-Island though ... then the riders orbit around the CBD.

When I got mine I walked in and asked for a job and they said they had nothing ... then one of the couriers was struggling with his bike at the back, and I could not bear to watch him %^#&^$ up the fix like that and asked if I could sort it out....fixed the bike and started work the very next day :P

You may need to consult google as I think there is another company too.....don't expect great pay.

Hairy

Is there a company running bike courier services in Cape Town? Asking for one of the young Ds' who wants a student / holiday job. Or how would a student find a job like that?

My friend is a vegan and I don't mind enjoying a meal with him. In all honesty, the vegan beef did not taste bad at all.

Cool story Bro, although you nearly lost me at Vegan...

Yo yo yo ..... we saw you and your tchjommie on the orange commuters while we were also cycling through the city!

Lekker write up, thanks for this.

Oh .... who in their right mind eats a gatsby with a knife and fork :P

Riding in the city is awesome ... you missed highlights such as Bo-Kaap, the old District Six and the Company Gardens just to name a few.

If you do this again, please pop a thread up before hand!

That was us! In fairness, there was a group of ladies in the restaurant, hence following the fork & knife route.

We went without planning a route... Which was a mistake our side. Also, we don't know Cape Town that good being from Durbanville, so we just smashed up the first climb.

Our next trip would be the night ride with the shop. Looks really awesome! And will only cost you R60!

Edited by Andrew_Smith

What year is the Trek?

Bit underrated my much maligned trek

The right year, 1999 - quite a historically significant bike in that it was the first non European bike to finish the TDF first* and seriously nice to ride - it weighs 8kgs dead and that 10 speed veloce not the lightest groupset - another piece of useless info is that the frame at 912g was revolutionary and consumers got the same frame as the team

Edited by Waynemol

My friend is a vegan and I don't mind enjoying a meal with him. In all honesty, the vegan beef did not taste bad at all.

That was us! In fairness, there was a group of ladies in the restaurant, hence following the fork & knife route.

We went without planning a route... Which was a mistake our side. Also, we don't know Cape Town that good being from Durbanville, so we just smashed up the first climb.

Our next trip would be the night ride with the shop. Looks really awesome! And will only cost you R60!

Consider doing a Moonlight Mass ride - great night time fun through the city, end with beer on Green Marker square.