From full suspension to hard tail?

matthewproctor

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

The smile can easily be resuscitated when you catch a glance of that wonderful pony just waiting in the stable to be ridden. 

The is the one. 👆 All other things don't matter and are incidental. Just like the only test of a surfboard you need is to put it under your arm and rock it one or twice and either chuck it on the floor and happily state it's a lemon or throw money at the seller and run laughing manically. 

I previously had a carbon hardtail, absolutely enjoyed it before it got stolen.

Since then, been on a boost dual suspension with excellent fork, carbon wheels and groupset.

I have always thought of going back to the hardtail, since it is far more fun to ride. I have been thinking of getting a boost hardtail frame, swapping my components over and keeping the dual suspension frame for stage / adventure races.

Where does one find boost hardtail frames? Only one i can find is the Trek Procalibre on their website. however, the frame is priced at the cost of the full hardtail bike 🙃

38 minutes ago, ct_rider said:

Since then, been on a boost dual suspension with excellent fork, carbon wheels and groupset.

I have always thought of going back to the hardtail, since it is far more fun to ride. I have been thinking of getting a boost hardtail frame, swapping my components over and keeping the dual suspension frame for stage / adventure races.

Where does one find boost hardtail frames? Only one i can find is the Trek Procalibre on their website. however, the frame is priced at the cost of the full hardtail bike 🙃

Lynskey titanium. Last frame you will ever buy.

9 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Yours is a  "SoftTail" Carbon frame by Silverback.

There's a couple of frames out there with a similar flex stay design. Cannondale has the SAVE and Scott has SDS. 

It's difficult to say which is better both my Scale and FSI was on 30mm aluminum wheels where the Superspeed is on 30mm carbon. Superspeed definitely has the best tyre clearance up to 2.5. 

57 minutes ago, ct_rider said:

Spez Chisel is boost and is mighty fine and just lovely 💗

1 hour ago, ct_rider said:

Classifieds? If you're after alu / steel then there is a nice Nukeproof that should be boost, some 'steel' momsen's that might be but they aren't real steel (reynolds / columbus) and then I'm guessing this little Banshee Paradox is a beauty. https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bike-frames/662731/banshee-paradox-v3 an the is one of the nicest alu frames and won't rattle the fillings or scare you on the fun downs. Carbon? Not too sure have no really ideas about plastic frame. 😏

55 minutes ago, Lynskey said:

Lynskey titanium. Last frame you will ever buy.

Who is the dealer in SA, where I can view the frames, or does it have to be imported? I see it’s for frames of 130-140mm forks, mine is 100mm 💆‍♂️

1 hour ago, ct_rider said:

Who is the dealer in SA, where I can view the frames, or does it have to be imported? I see it’s for frames of 130-140mm forks, mine is 100mm 💆‍♂️

Gravel and tour comes up. Think I got mine there. I was lucky as I got old stock but brand new at a hell of a deal. Yes probably you will need a new fork. I can tell you one thing that you will not regret it. I absolutely love my bike and pretty sure it is the last one I will ever buy. 

2 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Classifieds? If you're after alu / steel then there is a nice Nukeproof that should be boost, some 'steel' momsen's that might be but they aren't real steel (reynolds / columbus) and then I'm guessing this little Banshee Paradox is a beauty. https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bike-frames/662731/banshee-paradox-v3 an the is one of the nicest alu frames and won't rattle the fillings or scare you on the fun downs. Carbon? Not too sure have no really ideas about plastic frame. 😏

I’m into XC racing, so the geometry unfortunately does play a role and limits the choice of frame. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2023 at 1:08 PM, Dirt Tracker said:

I've just got a 853 steel hard tail which is fantastic. I'm coming off a 160mm / 150mm dual and I love it. It's got a nice slack 64 degree head angle, is nicely long and rolls on 35mm, 29'r wheels and 2.8 tyres. I can honestly say it's a great bit of kit and does most of Tokai with ease (the top DH line next to Cobra aside). Pedals great up hill, comes down awesome. I'm not going to be a disciple for everyone running out and getting one but it's a lot of fun, super capable, you can pedal it around easily and I don't feel I'm losing too much. I hadn't realise how much my big travel bike had numbed out everything and made it pretty boring. 

Last thing I'd say is that is for a steel HT. A very different beast to an alu' frame and with less refined geo. I'm yet to really find the limits of my steely's capabilities after going most of the TB, Tokai and Jonkers trails but I think I might have a very, very, different view on a lot of other alu' HTs that haven't been thought out. 

Which one did you get? 😉

On 9/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, ct_rider said:

Speak to @droo at Stoke in Woodstock, Cape Town about a Banshee (they are the official importer). 

Everyone should own a HT imo. Build it up with whatever stuff you have lying around…or go crazy. Either way…they are the embodiment of silly, no fuss - fun on bicycles. I love mine more every time i choose it over my mattress bike…which I decide on a whim the morning i walk into the garage. I did a jonkers enduro on my 140mm paradox and thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Edited by MORNE

55 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Everyone should own a HT imo. Build it up with whatever stuff you have lying around…or go crazy. Either way…they are the embodiment of silly, no fuss - fun on bicycles. I love mine more every time i choose it over my mattress bike…which I decide on a whim the morning i walk into the garage. I did a jonkers enduro on my 140mm paradox and thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Everyone should own a singlespeed.

its a BMX for grown-ups.