[Event] Swartberg 100 Gran Fondo

@BigJohnSwan

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

The email more or less explicitly says that it is more lucrative for the organiser to focus on their 3 day organised rides of 60km per day with restaurants, wine and group social activities. 

That's a completely different market to the one I represent. As a dyed in the wool extreme introvert I  can think of nothing worse than that.

It's a real loss to the calendar that this event is no more. I was already hoping that my second attempt at grit tankwa wouldn't clash with it next year.

Anyway me and a few mates (even hardcore introverts have mates) are already talking about a trip to PA to ride the granfondo route and tack on a descent into die hel too.

So not knowing the area, I am assuming by your post above that you can do the "event" on your own on accessible  roads?

Was thinking the same thing as you.
Just drive through and go do the route.  Stop.  Photos.  Take it all in.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can! 70 km tar, 100 km gravel on public roads. Surely somebody will step in. Why didn't they try and sell the event? Or maybe they did?

17 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

So not knowing the area, I am assuming by your post above that you can do the "event" on your own on accessible  roads?

Yes. Not 100% sure about the backroads near Klaarstroom but for the rest all public roads and a great option for a one day round trip if you are fit. Add in Die Hel / Calitzdorp/ Seweweekspoort and you can do lekker gravel roads for a week.

19 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Yes. Not 100% sure about the backroads near Klaarstroom but for the rest all public roads and a great option for a one day round trip if you are fit. Add in Die Hel / Calitzdorp/ Seweweekspoort and you can do lekker gravel roads for a week.

38 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

As @Skubarrasays - take a long weekend or even a whole week - use PA as a base and there's a proper cycling holiday possible. Unique geology gives stunning landscapes - very few cars to hassle a rider and a ton of lovely routes, proper climbs etc.... 

I fully get making hard business decisions. 

It really sucks when your passion project lands up being a drain/strain on resources with little financial return. 

It is difficult to cut off the proverbial leg to save the body, but it does have to be done.

@betaboy this decision has nothing to do with the UCI or any organising body other than those who created the race.... kicked to the curb by whom? The race wasn't making money and was a HUGE undertaking to prepare and organise. It would be up to another race organiser to liaise with the UCI to create that marriage.

Talk/questions of people 'stepping in'.

I'd ask what they could do differently to the locals with local connections in order to make the race financially viable? I'm not so sure anyone could offer what Big John and co did - they shut the whole town down for 2 days. 

Either huge sponsors would need to roll in or entry prices would need to rise substantially - or both - which would create it's own problems knocking on. 

I'm glad I got to do the first and last ones and a few in between. Thanks guys, the event was rad and will be remembered fondly.

Wow, this sucks. This race was on my list events for the future.

I think the closest race to this is the Prince George 100 miler. Maybe someone that’s done both can comment on the differences.

Was hoping that more gravel pros would consider a trip to Sunny SA for this. But so be it, thanks to the team who put this together, was a goody.

40 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I fully get making hard business decisions. 

It really sucks when your passion project lands up being a drain/strain on resources with little financial return. 

It is difficult to cut off the proverbial leg to save the body, but it does have to be done.

@betaboy this decision has nothing to do with the UCI or any organising body other than those who created the race.... kicked to the curb by whom? The race wasn't making money and was a HUGE undertaking to prepare and organise. It would be up to another race organiser to liaise with the UCI to create that marriage.

Talk/questions of people 'stepping in'.

I'd ask what they could do differently to the locals with local connections in order to make the race financially viable? I'm not so sure anyone could offer what Big John and co did - they shut the whole town down for 2 days. 

Either huge sponsors would need to roll in or entry prices would need to rise substantially - or both - which would create it's own problems knocking on. 

I'm glad I got to do the first and last ones and a few in between. Thanks guys, the event was rad and will be remembered fondly.

I thought the UCI was involved in putting this together for the Gravel Series and was listed as a qualifier? So it’s actually up to the UCI to go found another replacement since it’s them who are championing the Series.

3 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Was hoping that more gravel pros would consider a trip to Sunny SA for this. But so be it, thanks to the team who put this together, was a goody.

100%… since in October we have it kicking off Down Under.

11 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

A great loss to our town.

If only there was a surefire way for great events to get part of the financial kickback from the town to make things financially viable...

So sorry to hear about this.

But I agree and will encourage anyone who feels like just going there anyway and riding the route. It will be stunning and there are enough places along the way to find food and water to do it without an event organizer. The roads are all open public roads and the STUNNING geography is there for free. Just take enough endurance fitness in the mind, legs and body with you. Prince Albert has a great variety of good places to stay and eat to suit all budgets and tastes. It's also the kind of town that has enough to keep families occupied and happy while you ride. If you want more support, a back-up vehicle and food and drink laid on, Prince Albert Cycles will gladly do it for you and become a friend in the process. 

Edited by DJR

6 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

If only there was a surefire way for great events to get part of the financial kickback from the town to make things financially viable...

The guest house owner where we usually stay told me the benefit for the town is not as big as we cyclists might imagine. On long weekends the town is usually full of visitors anyway so its not a big difference to them whether there is a race happening or not. Actually they make a bit of a loss because many cyclists only come through for the night before and leave right after the race (so the guesthouses lose out on long weekend bookings) + most of us are also not the biggest drinkers & eaters and many bring their own nutrition for the day before the race so the restaurants also don't really make a killing.

34 minutes ago, betaboy said:

I thought the UCI was involved in putting this together for the Gravel Series and was listed as a qualifier? So it’s actually up to the UCI to go found another replacement since it’s them who are championing the Series.

Huh?

The UCI couldn't care who buys into their series or from where, as long as they have enough races buying in. Having a UCI qualifier in SA is up to event organisers in SA. 

The UCI have nothing to do with organising the races, they just sell/arrange buy in so that there are qualifying points towards age group world champs.

Much like the UTMB points system in trail running. It usually costs the event to be a part of which is why less and less events are points accruing.