Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

24 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

The arrogance and self importance of the first few alphabet groups makes it unpleasant. This is getting steadily worse.

Guys seem to think they will land a contract with a team if they go under 3 hours. Get a grip - much more pleasant atmosphere in triathlons or riding one day events in Europe. 

never felt like this was a problem, have had the odd small group coming through on their second lap telling people to keep left, but nothing that bothered me,

The one that did bother me was not even a single alphabet rider, he was from the soup mix at the back. Was 2017, riding with my dad. We were keeping far left up Chappies, this chop comes past us shouting keep left. Only to pull over around the next bend and then repeat a little further up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

You mean you dont stop at Dixies ...

Not when I'm "racing" for position 1,246! 😅

4 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

Not when I'm "racing" for position 1,246! 😅

I beat you! This year, instead of the sub 3 I have yet to achieve despite elbowing my way past @mikkelzand other 1X mamils, I'm going to try get my position into triple digits instead of quadruple.

40 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Lol people still want these goody bags? I take my number out the goody bag and on the way to the car, gift all that useless (to me) stuff to the first person i feel looks they want/need it. I have never used anything from that goody bag. Not even the bottle - cant have uncoordinated colours on my bikes. 

I don't want any of it either but you just never know when you might need single-serving rooibos infused shaving cream and estate agency fridge magnets.

Geez, I think I might be a hoarder.

48 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Lol people still want these goody bags? I take my number out the goody bag and on the way to the car, gift all that useless (to me) stuff to the first person i feel looks they want/need it. I have never used anything from that goody bag. Not even the bottle - cant have uncoordinated colours on my bikes. 

No one uses any of the stuff because they’re useless to cyclists. I think people would care a bit more if it was actually relevant. It’s not high on my list of important things, but it would be nice to actually get a goody bag with a few useful items. The DC goody bag is great as they always surprise you with something. 

43 minutes ago, babse said:

you mean this year?

Likely the same if i eventually enter...

yeah, meant this year. I’ve edited the post.

11 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I beat you! This year, instead of the sub 3 I have yet to achieve despite elbowing my way past @mikkelzand other 1X mamils, I'm going to try get my position into triple digits instead of quadruple.

Challenge accepted! 🤣 Sub 3 is so last year. Sub 1,000 is where it's at.

On 12/21/2023 at 10:42 AM, SoloCyclist said:

Economy is collapsing and these okes come with these prices..........utter madness

Precisely why the entries are so expensive, everything costs more, and there is less entries which means less to dilute the increase in the costs. Everything has skyrocketed in the last year, can't expect ye olde Argus to stay the same. We lucky it isn't over R1000. Just look at entry costs for comrades. Crazy.

The best day on a bicycle with mates and drinking Beer☺️

Stage 1 Greg’s house

1:09:38 29.47 km

champagne breakfast  

Stage 2 Camel Rock 1:16:05

31.49 km

Beer 

Stage 3 Cafe Roux 36:52 16.61 km

Beer

Stage 4 Bugattis 32:44

12.07 km

Beer

Stage 5 Cafe Caprice 29:54

12.22 km

Beer

Stage 6 Done CTCT 16:54 7.29 km

More Beer 

9 minutes ago, Hamstring said:

The best day on a bicycle with mates and drinking Beer☺️

Stage 1 Greg’s house

1:09:38 29.47 km

champagne breakfast  

Stage 2 Camel Rock 1:16:05

31.49 km

Beer 

Stage 3 Cafe Roux 36:52 16.61 km

Beer

Stage 4 Bugattis 32:44

12.07 km

Beer

Stage 5 Cafe Caprice 29:54

12.22 km

Beer

Stage 6 Done CTCT 16:54 7.29 km

More Beer 

How do we get in Greg's house?:)

1 hour ago, TheAntoine1 said:

The arrogance and self importance of the first few alphabet groups makes it unpleasant. This is getting steadily worse.

Guys seem to think they will land a contract with a team if they go under 3 hours. Get a grip - much more pleasant atmosphere in triathlons or riding one day events in Europe. 

Nah, dude! It's all great fun, notwithstanding a teensy-tiny minority of "unpleasant" riders. But, you always have your one-day events in Europe to fall back on.

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Serious question - when was the last time there was a decent Argus goodie bag? I have been doing Cycle Tours since 2012 and I have never seen a decent goodie bag.

Based on what evidence/perception do people expect a decent goodie bag? The event could probably go on for another 20 generations and you will still find people being genuinely surprised and disappointed that the goodie bag is not any good.

2 hours ago, KidCharlemagne said:

Nah, dude! It's all great fun, notwithstanding a teensy-tiny minority of "unpleasant" riders. But, you always have your one-day events in Europe to fall back on.

It's an observation and is one of the reasons the CTCT is becoming less of a big event every year. No more sold out entries way before the time and certainly no more 35 000 riders. Still might be fun for some but not so much for many. 

19 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

It's an observation and is one of the reasons the CTCT is becoming less of a big event every year. No more sold out entries way before the time and certainly no more 35 000 riders. Still might be fun for some but not so much for many. 

I highly doubt this is a big reason for the decline in numbers, it may factor in an extremely small percentage of reasons.

6 hours ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Arrogance and self-importance is comparing the unique local vibes of The Argus event in South Africa to the so-called much more pleasant atmosphere of European events.

Be lekka, Bruuuu.

IMG_5597.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

14 hours ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Kind of agree with this to a point. Why i wont be starting in my seeded group this year and probably wont care about seeding races either. My most fun ones were in the lower groups and the least pleasant ones were between the wannabe semipro ‘plonkers’😅 

back to being silly for me this year. Trying it on a SS bike🤣 also stopping for beer.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Kind of agree with this to a point. Why i wont be starting in my seeded group this year and probably wont care about seeding races either. My most fun ones were in the lower groups and the least pleasant ones were between the wannabe semipro ‘plonkers’😅 

back to being silly for me this year. Trying it on a SS bike🤣 also stopping for beer.

I don't think I've ever seen arrogance and self importance.... Except maybe once when a rather entitled oke stomped off after the wind cancellation shouting some quite unreasonable stuff. Oh and that idiot who did a risky sprint to come in under 3.15.

What worries me more than that is the risk of accident in such large groups.

I started later year before last I think it was when it was wet because of the risk.

Ctct week is when this plonker pretends he's a pro rider by taking a week's leave to ride the tour du cap and finish in the lower third and pretend Greenpoint is the champs Elysees as he streak across the line.

It's a mundane fantasy but it's mine!