Low balling!!

Brettowski

Simply advertising an item doesn't imply desperation from the seller. It's disrespectful for BH members to propose offers 40 to 50% lower than the asking price. If unable to afford the asking price, make a reasonable offer instead of attempting to take advantage. Let's be realistic with our offers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Brettowski said:

Simply advertising an item doesn't imply desperation from the seller. It's disrespectful for BH members to propose offers 40 to 50% lower than the asking price. If unable to afford the asking price, make a reasonable offer instead of attempting to take advantage. Let's be realistic with our offers.

100% mate. The secondhand market (not limited to cycling mind you) is incredibly fickle. The "market" is basically based on what the person/s is/are WILLING to pay. The inherent value of the product is quite low compared to the original retail price. So, naturally, I'm going to offer as little as possible since I want to pay as little as possible (remember the good 'ol days when you visited BH for "deals/steals"?). Lots of websites are heading the way of auctions. That way you're more likely to receive what the market preceives to be a fair price. 

But on the other hand, if the seller is desperate (read URGENT/RELOCATION SALE), is a low ball offer then acceptable? 

9 minutes ago, Brettowski said:

lemme guess. bikemarket.co.za?

They have trained a human to act like a bot. Put an advert up and you get a limited offer for your item at 30-50% of what you've put it up for.

it's spam. you can block them.

1 hour ago, cadenceblur said:

It happens - just say no, if they really want the item and your price is fair - they will negotiate. I had the same the other day and just declined the offer.

I agree - no disrespect to low-ballers from me. I know I should expect more from bikehubbers, but when I get a lowball, I'm just glad it's not a "is this available" message.

Also, whenever I see "I know what I got" or "no rush to sell" or "putting out feelers" (especially when the price tag is way above market) I immediately have the urge to low-ball with no intention of making a purchase. I don't do it, but I want to.

Edited by bebnin

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

lemme guess. bikemarket.co.za?

They have trained a human to act like a bot. Put an advert up and you get a limited offer for your item at 30-50% of what you've put it up for.

it's spam. you can block them.

Best description of their behaviour to date... 🤣

Adding my 2c: Reply with a "TSEK!" - Proceed to block. 😜

Edited by 440MTB

The "Is it still available" thing is really one of the most annoying things like ever. The one way I found to be able to deal with it: If you're going to use a bot to communicate with me I will do the same and just move on 🤪. No more pretty messages

3 hours ago, Brettowski said:

In the same vein hubbers should be realistic on the asking price. We expect really stupid prices for second hand goods.   

Let the attacks begin keyboard warriors :)

3 hours ago, Brettowski said:

Are you also getting super low offers from a particular bike dealer in JHB. I've now ignored their messages but every 2/3 weeks he gives me another low ball offer on a different item. I'm now having to hold myself back on giving him a proper talking to using the the special symbols in the words

I've kindly requested said JHB dealer to never ever contact me again. Not too long ago I advertised an ebike for R75k and they offered me R55k - I sold it for R75k two days later. They then offered me R5k for a basically brand-new gravel bike advertised for R12,500. It was at this point that I asked them to move along. It sold for R11,500 a week later.

59 minutes ago, Jimmy 2.0 said:

Are you also getting super low offers from a particular bike dealer in JHB. I've now ignored their messages but every 2/3 weeks he gives me another low ball offer on a different item. I'm now having to hold myself back on giving him a proper talking to using the the special symbols in the words

You can permanently block users from responding to your adverts.

In the chat with the account you want to block, click the "Actions" button then select "Block User". It is also available in the blocking functionality.

image.png

Whats up folks ?

Mood seems to be as gloomy as the misty autumn mornings in the Cape.

Sales is NOT for everybody !!

If you want to venture into selling stuff ... grow a thicker skin.

The humanoid-bot spitting out the low ball offers is going to keep on doing it.  Your blood pressure and mood, and most definately not your replies, will ever change their business model.  

Same as hooting to a Taxi .... 

BLOCK ... move on.

And if the normal Hubber starts offering lower than asking .... then re-evaluate your price.  Emotional value does not translate to second hand value .... sorry.

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Sales is NOT for everybody !!

Ain't this the truth. 

If you make a low offer, and someone calls you a cheapskate, same thing applies, grow a thicker skin, don't go crying about it. If you keep making low offers and people are peeved off with you and block you, so what - they can't offer the deals you want, so you are both saving your time when they block you. 

However, continue to voice your opinions about how ridiculous so & so is and how stupid/amazing or whatever the lowballers are, I'm new to engaging more with this forum, but it's clear that the bikehub community thrives on the drama of strong opinions.