2025 Absa Cape Epic Route Announced

News bot

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I think I'd be rather disappointed if I had booked from afar based on my buddies accounts of previous Epic routes around the WC. 

spoke with few blokes in Eu this am and they're excited about not having to sleep in tentavile and catch stomach bugs or skip portaloos because some bloke didn't quite make manage to lift the seat cover before letting it go. All are bummed its not going through Grabouw so they can sample the newly rebuilt trails and one team would have liked Hermanus again. 

After seeing the route, I'm bummed there's no Tokai for the prologue. The boerie curtain gets the whole shebang

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

What's up with the "urban edition" stuff. Are they trying to cut costs on logistics and trail building? Looks tough enough for sure, but this route is even further from the original CE point to point event. 

Wow, I cannot help but think that this route is the consequence of a bunch of accountants trying to cut costs.

Sadly the Epic is losing it's "Epicness" by constantly changing its route to cut costs and improve logistics. Part of the initial attraction was covering large parts of the Cape and being exposed to different climates, vegetation and scenery. It's also what made the production so epic.

Now it's just going to be a hot & dusty suffer fest between Durbanville and Paarl.

It would be crazy for locals to pay this much to ride trails you can ride every weekend. But then again, the Epic is no longer focused at attracting locals I guess.

The good news is that you can still go and ride most of the old Epic route, any time of the year, for a fraction of the cost and have an absolute blast 🤙

3 hours ago, Gnarly said:

Had to have a Gu just reading that route. 

Six pack of frosties would be more appropriate...

22 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Sadly the Epic is losing it's "Epicness" by constantly changing its route to cut costs and improve logistics. Part of the initial attraction was covering large parts of the Cape and being exposed to different climates, vegetation and scenery. It's also what made the production so epic.

Now it's just going to be a hot & dusty suffer fest between Durbanville and Paarl.

It would be crazy for locals to pay this much to ride trails you can ride every weekend. But then again, the Epic is no longer focused at attracting locals I guess.

The good news is that you can still go and ride most of the old Epic route, any time of the year, for a fraction of the cost and have an absolute blast 🤙

I understand your point completely, however, people are missing the point. No local is going to ride 8 days of these trails back-to-back, outside of Epic. Epic will remain Epic, and I think it is crucial to remember it. Finishing the Epic, no matter the chosen route for the year, is still a massive achievement, and 8 great days out on the bike and trails, even for locals. 

1 hour ago, Richan von Staden said:

I understand your point completely, however, people are missing the point. No local is going to ride 8 days of these trails back-to-back, outside of Epic. Epic will remain Epic, and I think it is crucial to remember it. Finishing the Epic, no matter the chosen route for the year, is still a massive achievement, and 8 great days out on the bike and trails, even for locals. 

Agreed.

They have to think of ways to reduce costs as a business and turn a profit. It’s still epic for our international guests racing the pro’s on our local trails. Also to compare 8 days of racing as hard as 3 weeks of the TdF is just plain silly, but that’s just plain old marketing hype that will never go away.

Epic is still bloody hard and you need to spend at least 10 hours a week in the saddle for a couple of months before the event to make it enjoyable and able to remember the experience. Also helps to have partner not stronger than you.

Us locals are not getting bang for our buck so to speak anymore. The majority of South Africans would not want to spend a R117k to ride 8 days of these trails back-to-back. Can think of much better epic ways to spend my hard earned cash to be honest, but i will NEVER say no to a free entry though.

7 hours ago, Richan von Staden said:

I will change the perspective to use the term 'Appeal' 

Is the prospect of that route/8 days 'appealing'?

I have been a fairly active 100 or 200 miler (or more) trail runner across many years and many countries. All 100 milers are tough, but some are infinitely more appealing that others. Some I have done multiple times out of my own pocket and others I have turned down free entries for, due to the 'effort/reward balance'. 

From a 'take my money' point of view, this route is not something that seems 'appealing' to me. I'm pretty sure it's less appealing to most people, regardless of the justification or business decisions that got them there.

I've done enough 'tough' events to know that the tough is a lot easier to look past and look back on fondly if there is 'reward' out on the route. There is very little of that in this particular edition from my very insignificant opinion. 

Just because something is 'tough' doesn't make it worth doing. 

But I wish them all the best. I have enjoyed watching the live racing over the last couple of years. The production really jumped up a few notches

Edited by Jewbacca

I'm in 2 minds about this. On the one hand I am interested in seeing the world's best riders taking on trails I ride routinely and know very well.

On the other, the whole helicopter footage, heroic stock music video, 100k entry fee while cutting costs, general circus maximus vibe doesn't gel for me. 

If someone offered me an entry I would take it but there is nothing aspirationally inviting enough to make me pursue this.

On 9/26/2024 at 9:52 PM, DieselnDust said:

And it’s R113k for the privilege of riding in your back yard.🤪

Def count me out. 

On 9/27/2024 at 8:47 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I totally agree.