Zurich 2024 - World Championship Road Race

Vetplant

6 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Once bitten twice shy, I’ve been down this road with he who may not be mentioned before.

I believe that there was enough horsepower in the peleton to bring him back as soon as he broke away and that the other top contenders mucked it up by letting him get away. Although it could be said that the gamble to let him go nearly paid off at the end…..but the other top contenders suffered the usual roadie rubber neck syndrome of looking backwards instead of forwards

The interviews with MvdP and Remco were pretty evident.

Both thought the move was wrong and both thought Tadej had 'blown his chances' (to quote Remco) of a Rainbow jersey when he went at 100km

They all let him go expecting the group to pull him back and it looks, amongst the other contenders, that there is a feeling of disbelief that he stayed away

I've said this many times before. Doping as in PEDS and traditional means is for age group amateurs or wannabes these days.

Medical science has moved on hugely.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Sadly, if there's one thing cycling has taught us over the years is that if looks too good to be true, then it probably isn't true. Excuse my jaded viewpoint but we've been down this rocky road far too many times to just except that someone is so much more talented or physiologically different to the rest. The only consolation is that if he's on rocket fuel, so are the rest and his octane is just better. Impressive ride nevertheless, to hold the worlds best at under a minute for so long must have been a mind f*$k of note.

On that note, I enjoyed the women's race more than the men's this year. It had far more excitement, even with Vollering being a total plonker and riding her team mates off meaning the Dutch missed the podium altogether 🙈

Sadly have to agree.

On any given day the individual may get lucky and outwit the peleton, especially when the peleton plays games and gets caught out.

When any one person is repeatedly better, then it is incredibly difficult to not think of gummy berry juice ....  very sad actually.

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Both thought the move was wrong and both thought Tadej had 'blown his chances' (to quote Remco) of a Rainbow jersey when he went at 100km

They all let him go expecting the group to pull him back and it looks, amongst the other contenders, that there is a feeling of disbelief that he stayed away

I've said this many times before. Doping as in PEDS and traditional means is for age group amateurs or wannabes these days.

Tadej himself said the move was stupid.

I think he expected Remco and VDP to jump with him hence why he repeatedly look back after the attack almost expecting someone to come through. Once he realise they not coming back, he just put his head down and went for it.

The problem with the chasing pack was the lack of numbers and the terrain. it was always lumpy with rollers which benefits a breakaway. And because the other favourites could not use their teammates properly because the terrain was so hard, they then essentially needed to close the gap themselves which was never gonna happen.

4 hours ago, SwissVan said:

The guy is so good it becomes unbelievable.

i mean how can 1 guy amongst all the worlds elite level cyclists be so much better than the others ?

Hey SwissVan , ever heard of Lance Armstrong .... same same , just different ....

Ah man, came here to chat about the amazing road race I saw yesterday with a generational talent doing something amazing, and sorry to see the standard "must be doping" responses. Of course, you are welcome to your opinion (it's no more based on facts than "definitely not doping"), but I think you are depriving yourself of what is probably the golden age of cycling.

Back to the road race, the fact that Healy/Skujins could stay away from the "big dog" chasers for so long probably tells a story as to just how disjointed the chasing was. I saw many micro-attacks from all involved and seldom a coherent train - I'd imagine this would be pretty leg-sapping. The large amount of climbing probably also played a role in how efficient a group versus solo rider could ride.

2 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Sadly, if there's one thing cycling has taught us over the years is that if looks too good to be true, then it probably isn't true. Excuse my jaded viewpoint but we've been down this rocky road far too many times to just except that someone is so much more talented or physiologically different to the rest. The only consolation is that if he's on rocket fuel, so are the rest and his octane is just better. Impressive ride nevertheless, to hold the worlds best at under a minute for so long must have been a mind f*$k of note.

On that note, I enjoyed the women's race more than the men's this year. It had far more excitement, even with Vollering being a total plonker and riding her team mates off meaning the Dutch missed the podium altogether 🙈

Here is your 0 octane rocket fuel doing it's job

image.png.92dfe61748f0e9dff10e46a8ac65fb05.png

On 9/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, Sally E Kirk said:

The Mens race is on Channel 206 (SuperSport) at 6pm - not sure if this is live or delayed coverage.  The Womens race is on the same channel at 4pm.

Highlights packages 

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Don’t come here on a Monday with common sense learned responses….

arent you depriving a wave of a huge grin somewhere ??🤣🤣

Edited by DieselnDust

3 minutes ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Given BoC came second says how badly the other favourites mucked this up. BoC is not at their level, and he should have been spent after the Giro

I mean, he did come 4th at the Giro, and 2nd at the Vuelta, so he's consistently punched above expectations this year.

3 hours ago, Popit said:

Hey SwissVan , ever heard of Lance Armstrong .... same same , just different ....

4 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Once bitten twice shy, I’ve been down this road with he who may not be mentioned before.

Howzit Popit

The difference is pog is such a nice guy and didn’t kill anyone….

7 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I watch quite a bit of the womens racing and it's probably just my opinion but the way Demi Vollering has been treated by the Dutch team and SD "don't" Worx this season I don't blame her in the least!

49 minutes ago, Frosty said:

And he doesn't just train for/race one race per year.

Wonder if Poggi will get 7 of those once a year races?

The way he’s going it’ll be 21 once a year races 🤪

9 hours ago, W@nted said:

He also outwitted them in the Giro and the TdF... Look, I am a huge fan, but jeez, he is on another level. The way he rode the guys in the break off his wheel is just crazy. 

I think he might be the reason some guys retire a bit early. He raised the level above the "normal" pro level this year.

um, yes and no.

winning Giro, Tour and WC in one year is crazy; hence is only the third person to pull it off. BUT one crash in spain taking out all his rivals made the middle and most important one a lot more achievable.

yes, it's still an incredible season. not sure how much this factor compares to previous seasons that maybe hasn't been looked at much. he took a full 5 months off racing between the seasons, and a full 2months after the TdF.