Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Church Street, Woodstock again! 

Witnessed a failed attempt of a tosser grabbing a back pocket of cyclist ( a couple of lady riders) battling against the wind this morning at around 10am.

Was maybe 30 metres behind when witnessing the incident the scum shouted obscenities at me (I greeted him with a few to start with) as he slithered back into his hole, 

Be careful, these chunts are brazen. 

Sickening, and yet bugger all gets done about it, perhaps Alan Winde and the mayor should do a few passes through the area on bicycles WITHOUT any security detail, perhaps then this will finally hit home. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Hellshoogte, again. Becoming n proper hotspot.

This is so swak. Stellenbosch to franschoek via helshoogte is the main road ride for so many people.

1 hour ago, NickGM said:

This is so swak. Stellenbosch to franschoek via helshoogte is the main road ride for so many people.

It has made me stop riding between Banhoek conservancy and Boschendal even…

I have again asked the Ministers of POLICE OVERSIGHT, MOBILITY and ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT to look into this.

As you are aware, policing is NOT a provincial competency although we have put a safety plan in place by taking a billion rand away from Education and Health to show national government that with data and evidence and smart policing you can make a difference.

I emailed literally everybody I thought could make a difference a few weeks ago relating to Helshoogte (follow up email yesterday after the most recent incident).

I live in Stellenbosch and ride that route frequently, so it's extra disturbing.

That is the response I got most recently. Literally speechless, but not surprised. Won't quote the source out of respect. No wonder people take the law into their own hands in this country.

I see there 4 "request for comment" proposals to do with NMT (non motorised transport) infrastructure on the CoCT website.

https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/have-your-say/issues-open-for-public-comment?L1=Issues open for public comment

Lots of plans available, as well as the ability for the public to add their support. As a cyclist in Cape Town, living in one of the above, and riding through many of the above, this would be a big win.

Example of the Pinelands proposal:

image.png.f19932fc37b4524303c65477b88cdc00.png

Edited by MongooseMan

3 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

I see there 4 "request for comment" proposals to do with NMT (non motorised transport) infrastructure on the CoCT website.

https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/have-your-say/issues-open-for-public-comment?L1=Issues open for public comment

Lots of plans available, as well as the ability for the public to add their support. As a cyclist in Cape Town, living in one of the above, and riding through many of the above, this would be a big win.

Example of the Pinelands proposal:

image.png.f19932fc37b4524303c65477b88cdc00.png

Any mention of a plan to render the existing infrastructure (ie Marine dr/N1 cycle lane) useable before spending on new projects? 🙄

12 hours ago, wolver said:

Any mention of a plan to render the existing infrastructure (ie Marine dr/N1 cycle lane) useable before spending on new projects? 🙄

Sadly, it's just another "election-coming-up" exercise, methinks. There is much more political will to make crime-fighting appear in the news, in press releases, in plans, than in reality on the ground with trained, willing, equipped officers in the right place, at the right time. ready to do the right thing. Very sadly!

12 hours ago, DJR said:

Sadly, it's just another "election-coming-up" exercise, methinks. There is much more political will to make crime-fighting appear in the news, in press releases, in plans, than in reality on the ground with trained, willing, equipped officers in the right place, at the right time. ready to do the right thing. Very sadly!

Disgusting to have a mayor and a premier that actively canvas for cyclists votes, yet hardly any real ACTION to improve cyclists safety.

Electioneering speaches are NOT "action" .... they most certainly have not used the last 5 years to put their speaches into action.

Very SAD ....

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Disgusting to have a mayor and a premier that actively canvas for cyclists votes, yet hardly any real ACTION to improve cyclists safety.

Electioneering speaches are NOT "action" .... they most certainly have not used the last 5 years to put their speaches into action.

Very SAD ....

Indeed , just a load of posturing, especially Alan Winde who always has lots to say come Cycle Tour time especially. “Making Cape Town a cyclist-friendly city”! What a joke….

On 5/4/2024 at 7:43 AM, DJR said:

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Very SAD ....

10 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Indeed , just a load of posturing, especially Alan Winde who always has lots to say come Cycle Tour time especially. “Making Cape Town a cyclist-friendly city”! What a joke….

Ja, hard not to be cynical about that speech before the ctct start and his blue light brigade ride. Don't see any of these Muppets taking their chances through Woodstock or any of the other bikejacking hotspots. Not to mention the state of the paarden island to CBD cycle path or the general fracas that passes for road safety.

Not just us though, the motley crew that is global "leadership" hardly inspires confidence and makes one wonder about the state of democracy globally.

Hi ho. I'm off to ride Tokai now. That'll cheer me up

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Very SAD ....

erm... these are politicians. what did you expect?

8p1f6y.jpg