Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

5 minutes ago, V18 said:

Not sure how peepeekaitjie jumped to the "ak47 under bed and nag van lang messe" conclusion tho. 

i just assumed all the guys getting hard watching mob violence were into living their lives in paranoia and fear from reading too much News24. 

30 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

But apparently that stance is “woke” or being a “snowflake” if you’re not part of the mob.

i should go to bed, i am too cold

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

i just assumed all the guys getting hard watching mob violence were into living their lives in paranoia and fear from reading too much News24. 

i should go to bed, i am too cold

this is bike hub, where nobody ever jumps to conclusions and engages in rational debate, young paddawan! go fold your ankle socks!

3 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

go fold your ankle socks!

jokes on you, i only wear barefoot shoes

1 minute ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Lol. Stranger deductions have been made. 

I was sitting in my car at the traffic light one fine Saturday arvie many moons ago, window down, minding my own business waiting for green.

Enter two guys stepping off the kerb in front of my car. The one guy is brandishing a knife, wildly slashing at the second chap who was backing away from the knife guy. They come around the front of my car, and the guy backing up lifts his shirt right by my window and draws his 9mm he had stashed there, and point blank pops one into the guy with the knife.

It takes knife guy a moment to register what happened. He paused, lifted his shirt to see what just happened and then let out the most primal cry I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. He was dead before he hit the floor.

Light turned green and I got out of dodge. 

It's been nearly 30 years since. Did the knife guy deserve it? maybe. Does it still bother me all these years later? To a degree it does. Have I been desensitized to violence? Sadly, yes.

These days I just leave when I see people acting poorly.

5 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

These days I just leave when I see people acting poorly.

Everywhere 

I don't even stand around the garage when nobody could be bothered to help or when some **** oom starts yelling 

I can't with people anymore 

5 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Watching that video made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Guess I'm a bad person.

Some of us need to have the stomach for these things. 

23 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Watching that video made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Guess I'm a bad person.

probably the worst, other than virtue signallers

From Paarden Island, just before the little bridge which takes you onto the N1 two guys were 2 seconds late jumping over the barrier. One almost grabbed me but missed. 

20 metres later on the actual bridge an unmarked white Golf with a policeman driving came past but it was 7:15 so he was already late for his shift change and he didn't stop

Edited by Andreas_187

so, i commented the day in one of cycling circles most of you who has noted in certain areas on the highway bridges there are security personnel on the bridges... i can't see why this can't happen here.

there has been an email to ward the councilor and CoCT since this conversation, i work in woodstock and know there's a few security companies that work in the area... i really can't see why they can't do the same here.

in my view it doesn't have to be 24 hours, a 6am-6pm shift is ideal, for those coming out of the paarden eiland area please do the same...

the n2 bridge at the old "twin tower" power station has a security, some further up the n2 does too... so its not a new thing

One of the guys who tried to push me off my bike on the Paarden island to N1 bridge was wearing a jacket similar to this. They will look like they are casually walking and then jump into action when you get close. The one was wearing a dark grey/black jacket with flashes of pink/orange.

IMG_20240528_155632.jpg

Edited by Andreas_187

Not to resurrect the "carry" thread. I did some reading around what would it take to prevent getting stabbed. (besides not getting stabbed). Since temu came up and has been reading my private messages, some, ahem, interesting products have been popping up. From NSFW recommendations to cycling kit. In between there has been the occasional "stab proof shirt". On further digging. It's all (usually) BS once the blade in question is an okapi.

Some "research" later. (I'm studying for exams and procrasting during breaks) Small (3.81mm x 0.9mm) ring stainless steel butchers maille is really good at preventing organ spillage from the average blade at average forces.

In comes alibaba. 

I drop a few questions to a few companies. Get a few quotes for test material. Fully expect to pay school fees in online shopping.

Stuff arrives.  Mind blown.

Relatively lightweight, breathable (it's fine welded stainless steel ring mesh maille), vest shaped (I gave a template to them) and completely concealed under normal or cycling gear. Did a few gel block (vrou se naaice leer bank) okapi tests. Broke the blade eventually. (Leer bank is ok BTW. And she don't read the hub.)

Just did an order now for a slightly tailored and lighter one for myself since I think I'll actually wear it on my dodge commute. And what's 1.5kg on the back of pre metabolic syndrome. 

Do I think this is a solution? No. My neck and head is still very open and a blunt assault and bicycle spoke will still do the exact same damage. I'm still pepperspraying and running as first prize.  

But, I think it provides a reliable a way of reducing the chances of getting a chest/gut knipmes wound and spending a few days with a chest drain or a few months with a stoma bag. Especially if you commute through dodgy areas.

Definitely not for my usual trail rides. Less is best.

Anyways. Enough procrastination posting. Book time again. 

Edited by V18
Spelling like my brother Bilo

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what was going on at the infamous N1 camp between Paarden Eiland and Woodstock / Lower Church street bridges about 2 weekends ago? Saw about 6 SAPS and LE or Metro vehicles parked alongside the camp on the N1 and it looks like they were very busy but can't find any information on that. Has that been cleared out?

It really grates my gears that I can't get into town safely anymore. 15 years of watching this infrastructure slowly crumble. I've logged C3s to no end for bike and general NMT issues for the last 8 years between Woodstock and Melkbos but it doesn't help. Here and there they attend to minor issues but they clearly have no intention to spend money on maintaining this infrastructure.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 14.28.21.png

Somewhat on that topic... I wonder if the construction of the new road/bridge at the new Amazon building will offer a better alternative to running the gauntlet on the N1 to Lower Church St? 

You would have to negotiate the Koeberg interchange which could be swapping one evil for another, but perhaps reduce the risk of being robbed?

Something like this map below, turning off Marine Dr into Section street through Paarden Eiland, crossing Voortrekker Rd and going under the M5 onto the new bridge past Amazon. The detour isn't too much of an extended detour. 

image.png.d4d7651963e025b086197f627d1b220f.png