Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

47 minutes ago, NotShatterProof said:

If possible could you please indicate at roughly what time this happened.

Apologies for replying so long after the original post but I don't always get time for the The Hub.

I commute fairly close to there and any additional information will make a difference.

Thanks.

05:40

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, edgarblount said:

05:40

OK thanks. That's a little close for comfort, I'll need to keep an eye out and alter my routine for a while.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 6:05 PM, Mtree said:

Haven't had many issues in the Northern suburbs? (I don't go looking at the stolen bikes section)
Also the trail network(TBMTBC) is rather private so there is that...

This thread is making me doubt ever going cycling in PTA:ph34r:

I grew up in PTA..riding a bike everywhere, from moreleta…to the university, to menlyn to the CBD. Ive rode to Delmas when I was  about 16 (girls😅)

I rode via klapperkop, fountains circle into town. We used to ride to and from school in pitch black and cold weather, sometimes 10/11pm at night when there were things on at school. And then not how….via delmas road, through a velt in the pitch black haha. I lived about 14km from school. I rode to centurion via fountains circle ( friends…and girls😅) This was between 1996 and 2001. Between 2004 and 2010 I used to do similar rides to and from university between pta east and tuks. But it was already feeling dodge around the lynwood extremities as you got closer to nelmapius etc.

We moved to CT in 2014. I can wholeheartedly say…that i wouldn't ride a bike (feeling safe) in any of those areas anymore. The places that get called out in the WC are areas very similar to most those places in pta. You are correct in your statement. As with anything, you need to be more vigilant  in certain areas than others…but people still ride there. Some of the places people get attacked, noted on this thread, and places it happens in the WC….I can only shake my head and think ‘rookies’, or ‘what the hell are they thinking’. #streetsmarts

You are correct in your assessment of the private farms around here, i feel safe around here….its the reason I also don't ride on the road anymore really. Same for all the trailheads around the cape. And they are busy most times of the day.
ive never seen anyone on any of the farms and thought….hmmm, what are they doing here. Hell the farmers will shoot mtb’rs after dark haha.

• 2 months later...

Morning All - heard via the grapevine there was a mass attack on a group of at least 10 cyclists this weekend just outside Midstream (Centurion).  Apparently 8 armed individuals confronted this large group without any fear and got away with several bicycles. Heard reports of some injuries but details are scarce. Is this true? Are groups the size of 10 just outside a major estate already unsafe???? If true - this makes me sick to the stomach!! 

Edited by pedal menace

12 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Morning All - heard via the grapevine there was a mass attack on a group of at least 10 cyclists this weekend just outside Midstream (Centurion).  Apparently 8 armed individuals confronted this large group without any fear and got away with several bicycles. Heard reports of some injuries but details are scarce. Is this true? Are groups the size of 10 just outside a major estate already unsafe???? If true - this makes me sick to the stomach!! 

There was somthing on the PEMBI group about it. Wil see if i can find it.

36 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

bbbb.jpeg

Edit: Updated map as per Barry's location.

mapps.jpeg

Edited by edgarblount
updated map

Holy s******!!!!! This is crazy! I ride around there often! I was not 1 km from there on Sat morning in a group of just 3 (Koffiepit and back).  What a relieve no one got shot!! It could have been so much worse. It is very close to St George's Motel right? seems it was close to main road. They were likely waiting for some riders 

Edited by pedal menace

2 hours ago, edgarblount said:

bbbb.jpeg

Edit: Updated map as per Barry's location.

mapps.jpeg

That is a very dodgy place to cycle at any time and i don,t exclude myself from doing such dof rides .Usually there are a bunch of 4x4 and enduro riders in that area and then i have ventured it alone ,but not anymore !

way to close for comfort.

i was supposed to do my usual route to BRB and back on sunday, but decided to turn around at Olifantsfotein because of time.

Unfortunately this was one of my close friends cycling groups that was hit on Saturday, he was luckily about 800m back and heard the shots being fired, managed to stop and turn around to seek help with some others.

Basically as @edgarblount posted. They were a group of 8 riders, but were split up a bit, so 4 riders were up ahead on the road, these 4 were the ones which were abushed by 4 armed perps.

It seems as if there was a solo spotter a bit earlier on the route, just hanging around and observing, most probably communicating to the 4 armed guys. When the first 4 riders came past, must have informed his buddies to strike.

Basically pushed them from the bikes and fired around wildly into the bushes, very scary and thankfull no one got injured beyond the fall from the bikes.

I did advise them to post their bikes in the stolen bikes section. Just glad no one was seriously hurt.

1 hour ago, Dup08 said:

Unfortunately this was one of my close friends cycling groups that was hit on Saturday, he was luckily about 800m back and heard the shots being fired, managed to stop and turn around to seek help with some others.

Basically as @edgarblount posted. They were a group of 8 riders, but were split up a bit, so 4 riders were up ahead on the road, these 4 were the ones which were abushed by 4 armed perps.

It seems as if there was a solo spotter a bit earlier on the route, just hanging around and observing, most probably communicating to the 4 armed guys. When the first 4 riders came past, must have informed his buddies to strike.

Basically pushed them from the bikes and fired around wildly into the bushes, very scary and thankfull no one got injured beyond the fall from the bikes.

I did advise them to post their bikes in the stolen bikes section. Just glad no one was seriously hurt.

For any person this is a massive traumatic event.  Even if there are no physical injuries - mental /emotional recovery could take a very long time. It must have been HELL scary. This is such a sad state of affairs. I really do not want to give u the sport I am utterly in love with. BUT...family and safety come first. 

• 2 months later...

Morning everyone.

I went past the road block on Solomon this morning.
Seems SAPS actually got hold of some stolen bikes.

Message that was forwarded on our cycling group:
"Heads up everyone, there's a huge police roadblock on Solomon Mahlango near Glen Village and they recovered stolen mountain bikes from a truck (too many to count!). If you know of anyone who recently lost a bike, they should enquire at SAPS"