The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Hi All

My girls are starting to outgrow their 16" and want to get them 20 inch.

Any recommendations on which brands you have been happy with.

I was leaning away from models with gears. More weight, costs and to go wrong. Do your kids use the gears?

My girls are just turned 4 and 5 probably wont use gears for a couple more years.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

I was leaning away from models with gears. More weight, costs and to go wrong. Do your kids use the gears?

My girls are just turned 4 and 5 probably wont use gears for a couple more years.

Single speed is actually perfectly fine.

They struggle with the grip-shift gear system. Had a 9 year old today struggling with those grip sifts .... he had to stop and really put an effort into turning it.

And they never really know which gear to be in ....

All that said .... your terrain should guide you .... on the Tygerberg trails a climbing gear DO come in handy.

Suspension fork or rigid .... these things doubles the weight of these small bikes, and adds very little suspension. A slightly lower tire pressure is more effective.

Hi All

I agree with Chris. The gears are not really used much when my daughter rides a 20 inch.

My son is on a 24 inch and he uses his gears all the time.

Other than the gears, my kids have both used this and its really quite bulletproof

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/kids-bikes/kids-hybrid-bikes/precaliber/precaliber-20-7-speed/p/28106/?colorCode=black

Hi All

I went through this exercise in the beginning of the year. My daughter is 6. The first 20" I got was a Surge. It was on the heavy side, and had a poor geometry (top tube was too high and the head angle too steep). I the sold it and got a Giant. Lighter, and a better geometry. She enjoys this bike more than the Surge.

As for the grip shift, she struggles to twist it, but have figured out how to use gears.

Make sure that the pedals have good grip and don't inflate the tires past 1 bar.

The main important things for my daughter is the geometry and the colour

A few weeks ago I decided to surprise my eldest and brought her bike with to come and fetch her. The idea was for my wife and I to fetch our girls and I'd cycle home with the eldest (she loves cycling, the 11km trip home was an adventure for her) So we did this a few times and she loved it. Lately I've been busy at work so we didn't do it for a while. So I pulled finger and wanted to make the most of me working from home so decided to surprise her again on Friday. (I play the bad dad alot by saying no to things and go and do it anyway but I see they know when I'm joking or not) 

So I stayed at the car and my wife went to the gates to fetch them (parking is a nightmare at the school) as she walked towards the car I saw her face (eyes she still had her mask on) light up and it was an immediate yes. 5 mins later we're on the bike and the trip home is a mix of bike lanes, suburban streets and an occasional pavement and I've made it clear to her she needs to look out of pedestrians and go slow. 

Everytime we do this 90% of people give us the thumbs up give her way shout well done dad etc....

But Friday past things could have gotten very ugly, I followed her on the pavement, then shot past her to check the road, look left right left again, scan the main rd for cars turning into the rd we're going to cross and I gave her the go ahead to cross, I watched her go across and some **** in a Golf decided to not indicate, cut the corner to get infront of her and I was helpless, my one foot clipped in I couldn't get to her in time and I shouted for her to brake. Luckily her reflexes kicked in and she stopped in time, the **** just brushed her wheel it was skew she didn't fall off or anything and she went over and stood on the pavement. Within seconds there was a crowd around us people came from across the street to check if she was ok. The **** in the golf just drove off, she kept of saying she was fine ... I was shaking I just held her for a few seconds then the rage kicked in. Two guys came walking up and told us that the **** had parked at the school further down the road so we took a ride to the school. We took a ride to the school and only when the security guard stopped me to ask who I'm fetching did it sink in, I wasn't thinking straight and decided then just to cycle home. I can't say what I would have done or how I would react so we just took it easy on the way home. 

Anyway I told her we won't do that anytime soon because some (and I mean some a handful of conceited, selfish, mindless ******* idiots who think they are more important than they actually are) spoil it for the rest. 

So yeah, to the **** in the Golf 5 and the 2 women who cut us off I hope the 5 or 10 seconds saved was worth it. 

A few weeks ago I decided to surprise my eldest and brought her bike with to come and fetch her. The idea was for my wife and I to fetch our girls and I'd cycle home with the eldest (she loves cycling, the 11km trip home was an adventure for her) So we did this a few times and she loved it. Lately I've been busy at work so we didn't do it for a while. So I pulled finger and wanted to make the most of me working from home so decided to surprise her again on Friday. (I play the bad dad alot by saying no to things and go and do it anyway but I see they know when I'm joking or not)

So I stayed at the car and my wife went to the gates to fetch them (parking is a nightmare at the school) as she walked towards the car I saw her face (eyes she still had her mask on) light up and it was an immediate yes. 5 mins later we're on the bike and the trip home is a mix of bike lanes, suburban streets and an occasional pavement and I've made it clear to her she needs to look out of pedestrians and go slow.

Everytime we do this 90% of people give us the thumbs up give her way shout well done dad etc....

But Friday past things could have gotten very ugly, I followed her on the pavement, then shot past her to check the road, look left right left again, scan the main rd for cars turning into the rd we're going to cross and I gave her the go ahead to cross, I watched her go across and some **** in a Golf decided to not indicate, cut the corner to get infront of her and I was helpless, my one foot clipped in I couldn't get to her in time and I shouted for her to brake. Luckily her reflexes kicked in and she stopped in time, the **** just brushed her wheel it was skew she didn't fall off or anything and she went over and stood on the pavement. Within seconds there was a crowd around us people came from across the street to check if she was ok. The **** in the golf just drove off, she kept of saying she was fine ... I was shaking I just held her for a few seconds then the rage kicked in. Two guys came walking up and told us that the **** had parked at the school further down the road so we took a ride to the school. We took a ride to the school and only when the security guard stopped me to ask who I'm fetching did it sink in, I wasn't thinking straight and decided then just to cycle home. I can't say what I would have done or how I would react so we just took it easy on the way home.

Anyway I told her we won't do that anytime soon because some (and I mean some a handful of conceited, selfish, mindless ******* idiots who think they are more important than they actually are) spoil it for the rest.

So yeah, to the **** in the Golf 5 and the 2 women who cut us off I hope the 5 or 10 seconds saved was worth it.

OUCH !!! Certainly the worst nightmare ....

Almost glad you did not catch the idiot in the Golf ... that certainly would have been an even worse scar for your daughter ....

Maritz and I do the odd suburban route ....

At crossings I go ahead and check for traffic ... obviously trying for the quieter roads.

When we get to busy roads we get off the bikes .... wait for a gap and push the bikes accross.

Absolutely nerve racking ....

BUT ... This is where their road sense starts, very valuable lessons ! .... we have to hang in there ....

OUCH !!! Certainly the worst nightmare ....

Almost glad you did not catch the idiot in the Golf ... that certainly would have been an even worse scar for your daughter ....

Maritz and I do the odd suburban route ....

At crossings I go ahead and check for traffic ... obviously trying for the quieter roads.

When we get to busy roads we get off the bikes .... wait for a gap and push the bikes accross.

Absolutely nerve racking ....

BUT ... This is where their road sense starts, very valuable lessons ! .... we have to hang in there ....

Thanks, I just thought to myself that I should ask admin to remove my post cause this is supposed to be a positive thread on riding with kids and here I am moaning. :-( 

You're right about not meeting the Golf driver! 

This weekend I'll try and get the girls out on some trail and leave the negativity behind :-)

Thanks, I just thought to myself that I should ask admin to remove my post cause this is supposed to be a positive thread on riding with kids and here I am moaning. :-( 

You're right about not meeting the Golf driver! 

This weekend I'll try and get the girls out on some trail and leave the negativity behind :-)

no ways, keep it up. it's a real world experience and we all need to balance the tradeoffs between independance and safety. We live 400m from school so often ride there and back (kids= 6 and almost 8). During school times it is often a bit busy and I have my hands full watching all angles as kids just don't have the experience to have road sense and anticipation. There's also a bit of a rat run route on the one road and I have stressed hugely how careful we need to be there.

It's not all plain sailing, thank your deity the miss was as good as a mile.

Single speed is actually perfectly fine.

They struggle with the grip-shift gear system. Had a 9 year old today struggling with those grip sifts .... he had to stop and really put an effort into turning it.

the shimano tourney 8 speed one is fine, until it gets a bit worn. you really need to keep it clean.

I have put rabbit/tortoise marks on for fast/uphill directions respectively.

• 3 weeks later...

"Each kid is different" ..... these words echo through this thread, and I saw it in action a few times over the last couple of weekends.

Maritz joins a class mate, and his nephew, for a ride at Bloemendal.  All 9 years old.  The class mate rode "okay" last year, but have been off the bike for months .... lacking confidence, and making a few small mistakes leading to a few minor tumbles ..... He is super slow. 

Maritz and the nephew has a good ride.  Maritz is faster in the trails, the nephew climbs much better .. and so they PUSH each other ....  Would actually be good if they could ride together more often.

Last Saturday there is a "small kid" on the pump track .... but it is clear this kid has some excellent bike handling skills !!  Turns out he is also 9 years old, just very short.  Maritz quickly realised there was just no way he could keep up with this young man.  Truth be told, it was a bit of a reality check for him .... which is not a bad thing.

At least all these kids were having a blast ... which is the most important part.

Yeah, thats the worst. Was riding with my boys and we were stopped at a stop street and a bit on the pavement luckily and some **** in a Zim registered Honda decided to swerve at my boys. They then parked 80m down the road. Wanted to clip in on their teeth, decided better for it and rode off with the boys having learnt a new word.

Some people are just *****

Ai sorry to hear man. BUT you did the right thing by riding off and not approaching the ****. Last thing you want is to let the love for your kid get in the way and you go bos on the *** while your daughter watches and then you get locked up(or worse if he is carrying or some doped up gym boy). This is what I worry about. My oldest is 5 and he rides our driveway flat but I am too damn scared to take him on the road on his own bike. That's why we still just take the long rig and stay in our enclosure.