The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Yeah, thats the worst. Was riding with my boys and we were stopped at a stop street and a bit on the pavement luckily and some **** in a Zim registered Honda decided to swerve at my boys. They then parked 80m down the road. Wanted to clip in on their teeth, decided better for it and rode off with the boys having learnt a new word.

Some people are just *****

It's like these folks are oblivious to anything outside their car.... I watch how some folks drive and they either don't care about what's going on around them or they don't know what's going on around them. 

What to do, what to do... 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First ride with my girls, both on their own bikes, on open roads. The older one has been out with me for a few years, but for the younger one this was her first time (6Km with the biggest smile on her face).

bf90333fa12e983adde50b305fc608df.jpg

393479d8aca81ebea19706a4ba6ed5ea.jpg

2e889ef3e629f2c3d2f08dd254601fc6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After preferring their smaller balance bikes all holiday, the twins were back on the pedal bikes today and riding better than before. (we skipped 14" and went straight to 16", I raised the saddles a bit today, maybe that helped!) f07d9bc8a2657f5d7d5948590b04c520.jpg6e0270e81afee81f1ab516677ab66197.jpg

How tall are they?

What is the weight of those 16" Munn bikes?

I'm thinking of skipping 14" for my little one too, she's only 2.5 now but going comfortably on her balance bike and she's quite tall for her age.

How tall are they?

What is the weight of those 16" Munn bikes?

I'm thinking of skipping 14" for my little one too, she's only 2.5 now but going comfortably on her balance bike and she's quite tall for her age.

I am also considering skipping the 14”. Currently no stock, middle March. My boy is taking it slowly with his balance bike. 3.5 years old, but I am not pushing him to like it, if he wants to ride fine.

I took him with to bike shop, size wise cant see reason not to go 16”, weight is perhaps one consideration.

Would like to get a Frog, seems they left SA, the ultimate will be Isla bike.

Edited by DJuice

I took my girls to Constantia Uitsig bike park too many times this holidays :-( 

We've done lower Tokai a good few times too so was thinking, Meerendal and Bloemendal to those beginner trails. 

Which one would you suggest for a very keen 9 year old, a keen 6 year old and the wife?

I took my girls to Constantia Uitsig bike park too many times this holidays :-(

We've done lower Tokai a good few times too so was thinking, Meerendal and Bloemendal to those beginner trails.

Which one would you suggest for a very keen 9 year old, a keen 6 year old and the wife?

Bloemendal. Nice pump track for the kids. They like B Spot.

Meerendal ... sad to see the lack of maintenance ... sections still rutted from last winter ....

How cool is this, stoked suspension in cape town stocks this

Comes in various kids sizes, belt driven

Awesome bike.

Price, bietjie skurf!

Have two boys...just maybe I can make a plan. 

The Muna's weight about 10kg - rough methodology of weighing myself and then get back onto the scale holding the bike.

We're in that gap where they can ride the bikes, turn around at the end of the street, but they cant stop yet using the brakes, cause they haven't quite managed stopping and putting a toe down to stop them from falling over.

I did have a moment of inner joy when my girl told her mom she can't help her to get onto the bike, as "only daddy knows"  :clap:

Edited by WR 1.0

Took my 5 year old for a spin around the 'hood yesterday, was so pleased when she got the concept of feathering the brakes to modulate her speed on a downhill rather than slamming anchors to a grind halt everytime it got to fast.

Loved the fact that she wanted to race me to every stop sign.

Took my 5 year old for a spin around the 'hood yesterday, was so pleased when she got the concept of feathering the brakes to modulate her speed on a downhill rather than slamming anchors to a grind halt everytime it got to fast.

Loved the fact that she wanted to race me to every stop sign.

My younger daughter said something similar about braking. She also said her saddle is too low as her legs are getting tired. I wonder where she got that idea from?

Hi, Im new to this thread...

I see many questions regarding to advice for which bikes: first of all determine your budget..

We've been very happy through the years with:

Strider balance bike (had the lowest saddle height of all)

Specialized balance bike

Specialized 12"pedal bike (used this very short to learn to pedal and transitioned quickly to 16")

Scott 16" bike, was single speed, back pedal. Was perfect as their hands too small to use normal brakes)

Merida Matts J 20" (this is an awesome bike, rigid, with 8 speed, large volume tire, hydraulic disc brakes, good geometry and was bad priced at around R6k. 

The youngest (5) is now on the Merida

For the older one (7) Im currently getting a Mercer 24" bike custom build. Dave is building the frame and Im getting all the parts together (which is worth a thread all on its own ;-) )

Hope to have this running in the next 2 months. 

The higher end brands like Scott, Merida has absolutely no stock, thats actually why we going the custom route.