Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I am beginning to think that the Dutch are not that great at cycling. Or at least not very considerate. I was cycling home late and when crossing an intersection I heard skidding tyres and something clip my back wheel followed by a panicked shout. 

A woman that had right of way came flying around the corner with no lights and it was dark. She started to give me sh!t about who was in the wrong and I quickly pointed out that I did not see her and she was lucky I was not a car. Another passerby backed me up regarding her lack of visibility. 

A lot of Dutch commuters don't have lights on their bikes. Winter is going to be interesting. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am beginning to think that the Dutch are not that great at cycling. Or at least not very considerate. I was cycling home late and when crossing an intersection I heard skidding tyres and something clip my back wheel followed by a panicked shout. 

A woman that had right of way came flying around the corner with no lights and it was dark. She started to give me **** about who was in the wrong and I quickly pointed out that I did not see her and she was lucky I was not a car. Another passerby backed me up regarding her lack of visibility. 

A lot of Dutch commuters don't have lights on their bikes. Winter is going to be interesting. 

Almost took out a young guy last week with my car in the dark.  He had no lights, no reflectors, dark clothing.  I simply just could not see him.  Luckily we did not collide but it was close.  Was thinking about asking the police if they can't do some spot checks on the cyclepaths in the evenings and maybe the mornings and start giving these guys a hard time.

stand on the corner handing out business cards of the local undertakers ...........

Almost took out a young guy last week with my car in the dark.  He had no lights, no reflectors, dark clothing.  I simply just could not see him.  Luckily we did not collide but it was close.  Was thinking about asking the police if they can't do some spot checks on the cyclepaths in the evenings and maybe the mornings and start giving these guys a hard time.

Just buy a bunch of cheap lights on sale and sell it to cyclists at cost! 

While climbing Bill Bezuidenhout on the commuter a colleague drove past in a car ....

As I passed over the N1 I saw the robot turn green and they had a 150m head start on me .... me with just a tadd bit of a climb left .....

Turned left at the robot, heading down to Bloemhof Eskom .... picking up decent speed on the downhill ....

Stand on those pedals as I try to keep the speed up ... going around the traffic cirle I see they are stuck at the red robot ... now I  STAND on those pedals and do a time trial sprint ....

Lungs screaming for oxygen ...

Legs BURNING ...

but damned if I was going to slow down ....

robot turns green and they turn left .... I catch up just before the robot turns red .... I have them in my sights as they head down Durban road

Another left, and they have to scan to open the gate to our basement parking .... and I follow them in before the gate close !!

Should have seen their faces ....  :clap:   :eek:   :clap:

Cut nearly 2 minutes of my normal morning commute time (on a 5km route)  :thumbup:   :w00t:

you assuming their will be usable parts left after fatal smash up  :ph34r:

Edit - removed my poor joke

Edited by Milosh

I quite like that idea of racing cars. Entering Stellenbosch on the R44 and taking the Helshoogte turn off I have a look out for some marker cars. More often than not after I rejoin the R44 past the schools I have these cars pass me. So I was in the lead for a while. 

I quite like that idea of racing cars. Entering Stellenbosch on the R44 and taking the Helshoogte turn off I have a look out for some marker cars. More often than not after I rejoin the R44 past the schools I have these cars pass me. So I was in the lead for a while. 

I used to race cars going up Kloof Nek after work. They would overtake me at the bottom but I would catch up to them at the top.

Then going down the Glen a driver hooted and shouted at me cause I entered the lane first and was not sharing it. She was tailgating me but nearly lost control entering the first hairpin. After two or three turns she was nowhere to be seen. 

I used to race cars going up Kloof Nek after work. They would overtake me at the bottom but I would catch up to them at the top.

Then going down the Glen a driver hooted and shouted at me cause I entered the lane first and was not sharing it. She was tailgating me but nearly lost control entering the first hairpin. After two or three turns she was nowhere to be seen. 

Often have the same on Chapmans Peak. Driver absolutely MUST get ahead of you on the bicycle, then, at the first corner they hit the brakes and play tortoise. I don't think they have the faintest clue how fast a bike can be.

While climbing Bill Bezuidenhout on the commuter a colleague drove past in a car ....

As I passed over the N1 I saw the robot turn green and they had a 150m head start on me .... me with just a tadd bit of a climb left .....

Turned left at the robot, heading down to Bloemhof Eskom .... picking up decent speed on the downhill ....

Stand on those pedals as I try to keep the speed up ... going around the traffic cirle I see they are stuck at the red robot ... now I  STAND on those pedals and do a time trial sprint ....

Lungs screaming for oxygen ...

Legs BURNING ...

but damned if I was going to slow down ....

robot turns green and they turn left .... I catch up just before the robot turns red .... I have them in my sights as they head down Durban road

Another left, and they have to scan to open the gate to our basement parking .... and I follow them in before the gate close !!

Should have seen their faces ....  :clap:   :eek:   :clap:

Cut nearly 2 minutes of my normal morning commute time (on a 5km route)  :thumbup:   :w00t:

I often have it on a saturday when I leave work.

Leave at the same time as a colleague and head down the same road, but because they need to still sign out, then invariably get caught by the lights that were green for me, plus the speed bumps they need to slow down for, its normally a good few km before they pass me.

Don't get drawn into that whole - racing cars mindset guys. Quickest way to put yourself at risk of a whoopsie!

Rather just enjoy the ride, fresh air in the lungs, blue skies.....

Often have the same on Chapmans Peak. Driver absolutely MUST get ahead of you on the bicycle, then, at the first corner they hit the brakes and play tortoise. I don't think they have the faintest clue how fast a bike can be.

Nah, it's bendyturnyitus. Allergy to corners. 

90% of the drivers on the road have NO CLUE how to corner properly.