tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Impey and Ellie started school today.

They now go Mondays and Fridays.

So, a good day it was? You didn't get called in by the headmistress?  ;)

So, a good day it was? You didn't get called in by the headmistress? ;)

No, and I’m surprised. I was expecting too. They haven’t really been separated form us since LD started.

This is how a Labrador with a water fetish and a fetch-obsession retrieves a training dummy from the wet. I think the Olympic swimmers look lethargic.

Edited by DJR

Gave up my Sunday morning ride to go do some "socialization" on Rondebosch Common........I am going to expect some payback from Stella!

I was there too on Sunday, our Ridgeback recently got his shots which means we can take him out now. One happy Husky and one super happy Ridgeback! 

• 2 weeks later...

In one of our Acacia Trees we have had for over 10 years a bee box which is  provided by a local bee keeper.

When we judge the box to be full to overflowing with bees we give him a call and he removes the box and replaces it with a fresh box during the night  - this usually happens once or twice a year. 

A week ago he removed the old box and just seven days later a massive new swarm arrived and moved in. It looks like  he will have to come again to exchange boxes very soon.

Our bee keeper makes most of his income not from the  Honey, but from  pollination services by providing hives on farms as the season and crop demands. 

post-63-0-33563800-1597305146_thumb.jpg

In one of our Acacia Trees we have had for over 10 years a bee box which is  provided by a local bee keeper.

When we judge the box to be full to overflowing with bees we give him a call and he removes the box and replaces it with a fresh box during the night  - this usually happens once or twice a year. 

A week ago he removed the old box and just seven days later a massive new swarm arrived and moved in. It looks like  he will have to come again to exchange boxes very soon.

Our bee keeper makes most of his income not from the  Honey, but from  pollination services by providing hives on farms as the season and crop demands. 

Please tell more about how it works, what attracts them, what makes them stay, once in, can they escape? I know very little about it.

Our Bruce has arthritis....so he is on a course of injections for 6 weeks.. (we are in week three) but he also has to lose weight to help with the arthritis..he has lost a few kgs since the diagnosis..we now have him on Hills low calorie joint and whatever food.. Vet weighed him today and he is 23kg..the target is 18kg..vet wants him slender.. 5 to go...poor thing we also can't exercise him too much cause he needs a lot of rest to help with the pain that flairs up..and he so loves food.[emoji22]

Edited by Gen

Please tell more about how it works, what attracts them, what makes them stay, once in, can they escape? I know very little about it.

The Correx box (plastic cardboard) has a rough wooden frame inside with a piece of old honeycomb. There are two small gaps in box to allow bees to enter and leave. The bees are attracted by the smell of the honeycomb and if they like the space move in when an old hive becomes overcrowded and they split up with a new queen, and begin building honeycomb and breeding. When the box is getting full our beekeeper relocates them at night into a proper hive with a queen separator. As the larger queen cannot leave this hive the other bees stay as well and work in the new location, Pollinating crops and producing honey.

I have been observing this new swarm. They are inactive when the temperature drops below about 13deg and do not venture out. During a cold snap over the last weekend they did not forage at all for two days. Above 20 deg they are really active.

My father kept a few hives and supplied me with free honey for many years, but regrettably I did not learn the what and how of it from him. After many years he developed an allergy and then stopped doing it. :(

My father kept a few hives and supplied me with free honey for many years, but regrettably I did not learn the what and how of it from him. After many years he developed an allergy and then stopped doing it. :(

We have a few guys around here that keep hives.. amazing how different the honey tastes depending on what the bees feed on.

Our Bruce has arthritis....so he is on a course of injections for 6 weeks.. (we are in week three) but he also has to lose weight to help with the arthritis..he has lost a few kgs since the diagnosis..we now have him on Hills low calorie joint and whatever food.. Vet weighed him today and he is 23kg..the target is 18kg..vet wants him slender.. 5 to go...poor thing we also can't exercise him too much cause he needs a lot of rest to help with the pain that flairs up..and he so loves food.[emoji22]

The Hills low calorie works well. 

My first ever rescue Daschund, I had only ever had GSD before  so had no real idea as to how much little dogs eat and when he arrived he was so thin as he had not been fed properly at his previous home so I fed him up. Fast forward a year and I had a little barrel on legs. Hills really helped  bring his weight down. 

The Hills low calorie works well.

My first ever rescue Daschund, I had only ever had GSD before so had no real idea as to how much little dogs eat and when he arrived he was so thin as he had not been fed properly at his previous home so I fed him up. Fast forward a year and I had a little barrel on legs. Hills really helped bring his weight down.

Yes seems so.. he has lost quite a bit of weight.

As I told hubby he is now Bootylicious but we have to get him runway ready.

Man we laughed at Bruce yesterday at the vet..so those who have spent some time with beagles know they don't bark..they howl.. so there was this beautiful pitbull at the vet but pitbull doesn't seem to like people or other dogs approaching his owner.. so a lab came out and had to walk past said pitbull to the exit and pitbull gave a growl..here is Bruce on the other side of the waiting room and he starts howling at all of this..as Bruce doesn't like it when other dogs are mean to each other.. anyhow we all had a really good laugh.