MTB Tyre Choices

patches

This was the final decision.

2.3 DHF Front

2.3 Agressor Rear

Super happy

I recognize the trail tech bike .I also ride a Kona hei hei with 120mm fox 34 in front .Very happy so far .Barzo in front and ikon 2,35 rear works well for me 

Edited by arendoog

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Definitely not racing or even competitive in xco or marathon. I do like pushing myself and seeing how well I can do it marathon though. Thanks for the insight. Will probably go with 2.3. I’ve got a crossmark 2.1 on at the moment. Anything should be better than that

Another recommendation for the FastTrak GRID at the back - 2.1 or 2.3 should be fine. 

The latest gen Spez tyres are wider than previously, so you may be happy with a 2.1 but I'd personally go 2.3 GRID.  

Meh, no mention of the actual casings tested. And that's an old test. So much has changed since then, esp with Schwalbe compounds, as well as Spez compound and tread pattern and introduction of the Black Diamond casing.

I tried linking the new one, but I see I cant, its only available via the app

Good day all

I see a couple of place have a sale on MTB tires. I was looking at the Maxxis Ardent Race 29X2.35 for front and the Maxxis Crossmark II 29X2.25 for the back. I mostly do cross country and has also entered the Sani2c for next year. Would like to get your opinions on this combination. I have a Scott Spark 910 2015. Weight 81kg length 184cm

Thanks

Edited by Joker101

Hi all, anyone know who has Maxxis Ardent Skinwall 2.25 x 29” in stock in Cape Town? Tried the usual shops but all out of stock...

I'm looking at something similar. I'm going with Aspen at the back though. Based on what I've read, as opposed to ridden, it should work.

Comments from those who've ridden these tires welcome.

Good day all

I see a couple of place have a sale on MTB tires. I was looking at the Maxxis Ardent Race 29X2.35 for front and the Maxxis Crossmark II 29X2.25 for the back. I mostly do cross country and has also entered the Sani2c for next year. Would like to get your opinions on this combination. I have a Scott Spark 910 2015. Weight 81kg length 184cm

Thanks

Good day all

Thanks

I have done a bit of time with an Ardent Race on the front of my XC bike, tbh, it was not great - but I prefer a grippy tyre on the front (not suggesting a Minion for XC) - something like a Rekon maybe? The Ardent Race just broke grip one too many times for me to really be comfortable with it on the front. As a rear tyre I love it though....

EDIT: If you are looking for all out speed and have the skills to back up the lack of grip in the front, then an Aspen or Ikon on the rear and Ardent Race on the front may be for you.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

These sure look interesting, I have done lots of time on Ardents, as in used them until the center knobs were almost non existant. Only issue I had was when cornering too fast, it would let go.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• Usage: Cross Country/XC Racing
  • Conditions: Dry to Damp/Hardpack to Loamy
  • Compound: Dual DNA (60a/50a)
  • Casing: Lightweight 60 tpi 
  • Bead: TCS aramid
  • Tyre Section Width: 50mm
  • Tyre Overall Width: 48mm
  • Weight: 585g

FEATURES:

• Tightly spaced, blocky tread minimizes rolling resistance until braking allows the knobs to truly dig in. 
  • Supportive side knobs deliver traction when trying to keep the bike upright on off-camber surfaces.
  • Commonly used as a rear tire with a WTB Vigilante on the front.

I have the Traiboss on 2 bikes. On my hardtail I have it front and rear. Been using them for about 2 years now on the hardtail. They are not the lightest, but the grip is way nicer than the ardent. Also they have various types of casings and rubber. 

There are other alternatives as well but dont know them, besides the continental range

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• 1 month later...

How tough are the DHF tyres?

I ride in JHB, mainly at Buffelsdrift.

I'm not worried about weight, just looking for something that is strong in rocky type terrain.

I'm currently running Spez ground control, have been for a few years but the newer ones seem soft, 3 punctures in the last 3 rides.

I ride mainly marathon and ultra distances.

I'm currently running Spez ground control, have been for a few years but the newer ones seem soft, 3 punctures in the last 3 rides.

Which casing? I've been running them for the last 6 years, with the latest set in GRID casing. No hassles whatsoever. I need a new set and would be hesitant to try anything else at this stage.

The exo casing is about the same toughness as the grid casing, with exo plus slightly above that (but not by much imo)

Then you get the double down (being phased out unfortunately) which is like th black diamond casing, or Schwalbe super gravity. Super tough

Then above that, DH casing.

Spaz control casing is like toilet paper

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem