Coffee machine

I heard on the radio his morning that a 10 year study was done on coffee drinkers. It was found that those drinking at least 4 cups of coffee a day had a 20% reduction in skin cancer rates.

Drink up before the change their minds folks.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am deciding between these two hand grinders for use when travelling.  Both will be in the region of 2900ZAR landed in SA.  From reviews it looks that both do quite well for espresso grinding as well, and it takes about 20 seconds to grind 14g of beans, which is enough for a double.  I like my Arrarex Caravel lever machine so much, that I consider getting a second one which will be kept in a foamed ammo box for travelling.  So a smallish grinder should go well with it.

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/userpix/10463__mg_9050.jpg

points 1 - 6 sounds about the same as what I was doing on my previous machines .... good to hear you are getting a decent shot out of the machine.

we nearly bought the larger one with the grinder built in, but decided to rather go basic on this machine, find a great grinder (Vs the spinning blade one we are currently using) and then when this machine dies we get a Meneer Machine.

yea, the shots are as good, if not better(maybe because I know what I like in a shot lol) that ones pulled with the same beans through machines worth 100 gorillas. Its a little german tank that thing, just churns out shots day in, day out.

I have the one with the grinder built-in, I won't lie, the grinder is pretty kuk, you really need to fiddle to get the right coarseness and it goes out every now and again. The preset doser is also a joke...its pretty random. But it gets me by.

What is quite nice on my machine is the little pressure guage, it is very consistent(maybe not accurate, but consistent is more important), when I hit 12:30 on its dial, I know the shot will be awesome, and that it will run for 27 seconds....everytime. 

Edited by rouxtjie

I am deciding between these two hand grinders for use when travelling.  Both will be in the region of 2900ZAR landed in SA.  From reviews it looks that both do quite well for espresso grinding as well, and it takes about 20 seconds to grind 14g of beans, which is enough for a double.  I like my Arrarex Caravel lever machine so much, that I consider getting a second one which will be kept in a foamed ammo box for travelling.  So a smallish grinder should go well with it.

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/userpix/10463__mg_9050.jpg

Can't see what you referring to?

Ok, I am not quite following, but I know its about coffee, which I love. I love mixing different types of beans as well. I used to use a plunger alot, but last year I received a bean to cup machine which I am loving

http://www.delonghi.com/Global/Products/Images/Coffee-Makers/Bean-To-Cup/Magnifica-Esam-3500/ESAM-3500S-left1.jpg

yea, the shots are as good, if not better(maybe because I know what I like in a shot lol) that ones pulled with the same beans through machines worth 100 gorillas. Its a little german tank that thing, just churns out shots day in, day out.

I have the one with the grinder built-in, I won't lie, the grinder is pretty kuk, you really need to fiddle to get the right coarseness and it goes out every now and again. The preset doser is also a joke...its pretty random. But it gets me by.

What is quite nice on my machine is the little pressure guage, it is very consistent(maybe not accurate, but consistent is more important), when I hit 12:30 on its dial, I know the shot will be awesome, and that it will run for 27 seconds....everytime. 

Well I will know by Thursday or Friday latest when they deliver.

The one on the left is OE Lido 2, LINK

The one on the right is Made by Knock: Hausgrind, (their website is down atm): Alternative LINK , LINK2

People rate the lido. Was looking toward the end of last year.

The one on the right is Made by Knock: Hausgrind, (their website is down atm): Alternative LINK , LINK2

People rate the lido. Was looking toward the end of last year.

Not looking at the Porlex? They are available locally through Cape coffee beans.....

I got one in December. It's a great little Grinder!

The one on the left is OE Lido 2,  LINK

The one on the right is Made by Knock: Hausgrind, (their website is down atm): Alternative LINK , LINK2

I have the Lido 2. It's a thing of beauty. Don't be fooled by it's size though... This thing is solid weighing in at 1577g on my scale. Grind setting does make a huge difference with how fast you can rip through the beans. I can get 24g for a pour over ground in under 30s. Hario or Porlex will take 5 odd minutes...

Ok so I have been in and out here thinking you all mad esp, Dr coffee

I have been called a Neanderthal and and and

Tomorrow I'm off to get my MACHINE

All I can say is it's shinny and pretty , it's got modifications (not sure that means) pressure control,steam something and it comes from the mad man himself so it has to be good, and it comes with a lesson from the man the myth the coffee legend,,,,,,come to think of it I think I must send the wife ;)

So maybe tomorrow I can say what REAL COFFEE tastes like and I will know what you lot are on about.

Ok so I have been in and out here thinking you all mad esp, Dr coffee

I have been called a Neanderthal and and and

Tomorrow I'm off to get my MACHINE

All I can say is it's shinny and pretty , it's got modifications (not sure that means) pressure control,steam something and it comes from the mad man himself so it has to be good, and it comes with a lesson from the man the myth the coffee legend,,,,,,come to think of it I think I must send the wife ;)

So maybe tomorrow I can say what REAL COFFEE tastes like and I will know what you lot are on about.

Say goodbye to coffee from most restaurants and coffee shops. From now on, you'll be a coffee snob like the rest of us!

Say goodbye to coffee from most restaurants and coffee shops. From now on, you'll be a coffee snob like the rest of us!

Let's see first, sounds like higher grade MATHS this "COFFEE " of which you all speak

Nice hairy, I have its bigger brother and manage to get an awesome shot....

I suspect the two actually use the same pump so with that in mind...

1.ALWAYS run an empty or blank before pulling one through grind, warms cup and basket as well as ensure more stable temp in water

2.DONT USE DOUBLE WALL BASKETS

3.Grind must be set to fine...as in espresso fine

4.Fill basket to the top, and tamp MOER hard, forget what the instructions say

5.Your pour should be around 23-27 seconds, time it

6.Enjoy

To point 5 - when do you start timing? At best I get 13 to 16 seconds of actual flow of coffee, though the gauge reached 12:30 after I tamp "moer hard"...