Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Cycling related and certainly not yet purchased.

But we placed our deposit today and secured our spot in the queue.

Tesla Model 3.

Here we are at the Auckland dealership playing around with the demo.

This is a left hand drive from the states. Obviously our one will have the steering wheel on the correct side.

IMG_3142.jpg IMG_3145.jpg IMG_3144.jpg

Lekka, Wayne. How long do they hold your cash and expect you to wait? Will you get it before the Audis and Volvos arrive?

no thanks.

We have been driving an electric car for almost two years. It makes a lot of sense in Nz as the charging infrastructure is huge and expansive

LOTS happening behind the scenes in SA ....

Industry is ready to roll out the charging infrastructure !!

"bit" of resistance from those that stand to loose the tax on fuel ...   :wacko:   :cursing:

LOTS happening behind the scenes in SA ....

Industry is ready to roll out the charging infrastructure !!

"bit" of resistance from those that stand to loose the tax on fuel ...   :wacko:   :cursing:

As is the case with everything in SA.

Politics always gets in the way of progress. 

Its like the Eskom catch 22, they need you to use less power to be able to meet demand, but they also need you to buy all of the power they can sell you to stay aflot.

Its why municipalities want to register solar panels etc, they still want you to pay them the same money in the end.

Lekka, Wayne. How long do they hold your cash and expect you to wait? Will you get it before the Audis and Volvos arrive?

delivery to take place within next 6 months.

I am reasonably back in the queue due to late registration. But I am ok with that.

The deposit is totally refundable if you change your mind. So we have placed the deposit but not yet ordered. We are still waiting for pricing to be confirmed so if it is too expensive I will back out.

Also, I am taking the rear wheel drive with slightly extended battery so that’s the last variant to be delivered.

We have heaps of Evs here already.

Here is a screenshot of all of the points in the north and South Island.

post-18409-15588987870185.jpg

post-18409-15588988303608.jpg

post-18409-15588988049486.jpg

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Not Cycling related and certainly not yet purchased.

But we placed our deposit today and secured our spot in the queue.

Tesla Model 3.

Here we are at the Auckland dealership playing around with the demo.

This is a left hand drive from the states. Obviously our one will have the steering wheel on the correct side.

attachicon.gifIMG_3142.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3145.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3144.jpg

Very nice!

I saw a few Model 3's when I was in Hawaii 2 months ago. they looked pretty sweet and I was wondering when they were going to arrive in NZ.

One of the silliest mechanical incidents I have had (folding a rim bead and burping a tyre while hopping into a root section), has resulted in one of the most expensive unplanned purchases I have had to make.

I could have simply replaced the rim and had the rear wheel rebuilt... approximate cost (R2700).

But the rim (Bontrager Line 30 Comp) was as soft as butter and shouldn't have folded in the first place so replacing with something better was a smart choice... approximate cost R3800 (new spokes etc)

But then my wheels won't match and that looks ghetto, so replacing both rims would be the smarter choice... approximate cost R7600

BUT then why spend R7600 and only get new rims and not new hubs too, so a new wheelset was clearly the smartest choice... approximate cost R7000.

So really, I'm saving money, right?!  :ph34r: :lol:

The result of all this rationalization...

4SWH7NNDLXX_zoom.jpg?v=47256a98b0934ba8a

Edited by patches

Patches I know your pain !   :wacko:

Less than 1 000km and the Bontrager wheels gave me hassles ...  In my case it was the weak hub design, Trek was just too happy to sell us a new hub ..... known issue on the EX5

Thus I also replaced the complete wheel set ... and carried on to upgrade the drive train while I was at it ...

One of the silliest mechanical incidents I have had (folding a rim bead and burping a tyre while hopping into a root section), has resulted in one of the most expensive unplanned purchases I have had to make.

I could have simply replaced the rim and had the rear wheel rebuilt... approximate cost (R2700).

But the rim (Bontrager Line 30 Comp) was as soft as butter and shouldn't have folded in the first place so replacing with something better was a smart choice... approximate cost R3800 (new spokes etc)

But then my wheels won't match and that looks ghetto, so replacing both rims would be the smarter choice... approximate cost R7600

BUT then why spend R7600 and only get new rims and not new hubs too, so a new wheelset was clearly the smartest choice... approximate cost R7000.

So really, I'm saving money, right?! :ph34r: :lol:

I had just bought these same wheels a while back and they really great value for money. A really nice wheel set and have had no issues so far.

Enjoy.

So really, I'm saving money, right?!  :ph34r:  :lol:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/361451-stans-flow-s1-2019-on-promax-hubs/

you should have dropped me a pm :)

So really, I'm saving money, right?!  :ph34r:  :lol:

really sorry to hear this, now you know you need a new frame to fit these wheels to .... it is a vicious circle!

I think I can beat that.

Needed a new chain, but then thought maybe I must change the cassette, but if I’m changing the cassette maybe I must go 11speed.

That will require a new group set, so might as well go compact chainrings at the same time.

New group set means a good time for new brakes, how about hydraulic discs, but that will need a new wheel set, might as well go tubeless then.

Oh but the old frame doesn’t have caliper mounts.

So I landed up buying this

43aed1e96da4900c48f2d0dbe4f0ecaa.jpg

2018 Giant Contend SL 1 disc.

Put a pike on my Camber.

Don't know why Specialized didn't think of this.

Because it has no “Brain”. Kekekeke. Nice man!