Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, patham said:

She is finally here (refer back a good few months in this thread). Now I just need to find a buyer for my second kidney so that I can get the towbar to put the bike rack on.

image.png.37c861278829c69d2ce0970248bf48a3.png

Congrats Many happy miles!

My wife is slightly regretting her decision to jump the gun and get the XC40 T5 and not wait for the Recharge or C40... although those are about another $15k on what she paid.

Maybe a Polestar 3 for her, if she wins the lotto, haha!

Aaaaaaaand I'm back on a gravel bike again...

I've now gone through a number of bikes and with each iteration I've refined my list of wants/needs and have come closer to the one. Finding that sweet spot bike to try and maximize fun (the reason I ride bikes) for as much of the riding I do as possible has lead me back to the unholy altar of Gravel once more. My laundry list during the search:

• Steel frame - I like that Steel is bomb-proof, can take a bit of abuse, and is most definitely very Real i.t.o. comfort. 
  • Clearance for 700x45 tyres minimum
  • Flared Drop bars - I just haven't been able to get a flat bar setup (regardless of sweep, position, roll, grips etc.) to be as comfortable or fun on or off road.
  • Low maintenance. I hate spending money on maintenance or being forced into proprietary requirements so:
    • Rigid.
    • 1x Drivetrain.
    • Mechanical discs (hydro brifters are daylight robbery)
    • HG freehub.
    • Standard seatpost diameter.
    • Threaded BB.
  • MTB wheels (ideally 21mm internal or wider).
  • 3+ bottle mounts.

I present Night Crawler. Yes, from the Judas Priest song (the one that introduced me to 'Priest actually, still one of my favourites). The riser drop bars and canvas bar tape / saddle are pretty dope. Wheel decals are going to be removed and some 45mm tyres are going on (either Ramblers, or Cinturato M's) then it'll be on like a scone!

s__xhQ-G1-WcS1b-eS-IJexU3pVsBLwn8kb5SyE7MPLjn-X0JzA_ItvL8E92_oDy32-GqGFAtySIUKQ5Ed05mZwrfOMQ3PiLRFDid13RAk87txKQ5DtJHltvBN3XdYblUYtGkMw_sdfyicmDMef6rChyZqpJsxEIJRvFYr_YoAFlkIatGIiYlvTTkE7Ujehq3oH7q6povL3t1GFa-Hb2weGo6dC8C7Fro2blpip1IwiioFHtDYJUAg5zDZxOSObmA1NZFhInhRm2coMj4WyvqABJAyVU1A7j9UT--NsXDHJ6O8SGLOZOMzCS5ieGvO8Yz9lWkAiUMRehtVuPuum-RlT3w144RoiIKrvhH-GVjrhZ5EICztu3yjFcPmYPPgbsfJjYKWofFEtTt9MYijUEo3-KKk2dMEDvbUr2SLNxj2jaUOC7gkBWC0mP31k2FKcltMFBkKe9abhWAy3dv0soH-FzSn_hXRfHkHG1p8eqHwvjAl9mhSNvTFXuuEOBgMmZov4zVxSfP6Kna8Z0JrkBgPjjpU-C1gORROZSrWcMv7DOVKYwDlsfenMq2W8bSLqVOvt9WKd0zbz2Y-nand_ZcJs-dMWc7NKGRQLuixWIPFDS3lybvN2cB2A3FsEDrISQrSc0K-8ZGYOru9IMerB4I88fRsjI184KFAHk9XYC6NReg5AM1ZeAlXEd_qdVVW7gYnJ8QrdZ0frLwSU7EeLdVs8rT8me7eOESseCU7btUikzm5bQ0PKtiov6pqpcUCYn6TiIFzBHzB4WKtvh5w0fhgtDYbA0v-s5ENTlKjF8AtlDnyXUBdcn7ksHfiqzaWj78_GFO2gz6vmOYxImrBOFwpdwk5oa5MY1Jb6-3ASXE3HWNNhzkfw_vx91zTHhblII8QI5-nebArbc-8qCuGIMKYJSoL_gdEAWmTKJng=w1682-h831-no?authuser=0

hKBzEXMCQ0Rg5e1UzrFyvltRWsTZIh2XmxHJc_bC853jBhdAAsTLAPTce6IaVXyETAS6Xg8bHVyD1NjYDNFIUvNzZnGtya08ZhE6M53ZQ6YHZozjH-bx0Jl2CYn6Tt5PDYBgLvss8lxZZIHvT1ItFFKzGm9xh2h3Go-vvXQBIZvytXUkZSTzYat4HuwJsqwEhC69Qv4n9FuSeQPn1OXg2SuVOoIs_CnP7KaHT-6ZbidiwB5IrFDhGbkng-0b4QoMVXaGT95BrQNVOyaXkh2OaJHQ6v9X81oswgIEQxQhAN4LVOTvdNtun53z00-GQRI6QeqHy3kB1QT4xwMKnoVPF9pEGzIAAczrI6NuMs_9MZ7ExrP0dNb8MjlrI9v_Ztmcqho4Otnulp4-irci88bCZP8WOQmXCm2IphMTlrxJSJmZrefgcvus3OWvlmm3oTAA0oPGCoYCt6602VBeAkoMl1FD801awl7LrBPV94LfQRYLvLRbzrgPB8of159asKEhYVZ1M21FWcWZpNjcCdqYlfbitcUpCbjyEL7HL3kvVzdK_PVt4WNrT3SUf0RNdPBB5tBOgbEURMHWwRKpuWV0V26JMNtIb8qm5YZzDjxolrraG4LXXqNb7l99sd98Xf9MwzZgorCvohpP2OG0t7LdvMlwt5sHH8fmN0taUeQe1pM0xIg2jgjKLuL_8OXxJroh1by7SzCLCyP3VSYTTz3fn8Yz37037ekyo6lJTjPg6Q8T7m52YeuEFZamR-EkOf7fBxCwdvTqAx5AHI6Ga_iFcwyCo9TxZjTmDHgt4P90FNkPXiSTPfQoZxUXdBIvAxGEAQElKuNdDP1IMMJRwr7AlIEnhFDh7QUw4a-6ZNMDqAeRzTUtXu0WojsWcEZC-G1frg7ur6Kk2n8IfWUUrW0gEUDUZn5r4oF_xowNPA=w1324-h1299-no?authuser=0

6 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

New frame day!

2022 Rocky Mountain Element Carbon

IMG_2328.jpeg.5ae85ad451912e5d6c0b6457578316d3.jpeg

I have a 2013 Element Carbon, would love to upgrade to this frame.  Please PM me with details where you got it and how badly it hit your pocket, Thanks.

Edit:  I will even settle for a 2017-2021 frame.  What frame did you replace?  Maybe one of these?

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

Aaaaaaaand I'm back on a gravel bike again...

I've now gone through a number of bikes and with each iteration I've refined my list of wants/needs and have come closer to the one. Finding that sweet spot bike to try and maximize fun (the reason I ride bikes) for as much of the riding I do as possible has lead me back to the unholy altar of Gravel once more. My laundry list during the search:

• Steel frame - I like that Steel is bomb-proof, can take a bit of abuse, and is most definitely very Real i.t.o. comfort. 
  • Clearance for 700x45 tyres minimum
  • Flared Drop bars - I just haven't been able to get a flat bar setup (regardless of sweep, position, roll, grips etc.) to be as comfortable or fun on or off road.
  • Low maintenance. I hate spending money on maintenance or being forced into proprietary requirements so:
    • Rigid.
    • 1x Drivetrain.
    • Mechanical discs (hydro brifters are daylight robbery)
    • HG freehub.
    • Standard seatpost diameter.
    • Threaded BB.
  • MTB wheels (ideally 21mm internal or wider).
  • 3+ bottle mounts.

I present Night Crawler. Yes, from the Judas Priest song (the one that introduced me to 'Priest actually, still one of my favourites). The riser drop bars and canvas bar tape / saddle are pretty dope. Wheel decals are going to be removed and some 45mm tyres are going on (either Ramblers, or Cinturato M's) then it'll be on like a scone!

Welcome back to the steel on gravel club! Sequoias are awesome. 

Oh, and don't go with Ramblers - they're the worst, least durable tyres I've used. Rather go with the Cinturatos or size down to 43mm with Gravel King SKs.

39 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I have a 2013 Element Carbon, would love to upgrade to this frame.  Please PM me with details where you got it and how badly it hit your pocket, Thanks.

Edit:  I will even settle for a 2017-2021 frame.  What frame did you replace?  Maybe one of these?

These are hard to find. I had it shipped from a shop in Brunei to Singapore as a complete bike and then just switched parts over. 2022 frame is very different to 2021. This is more a mini-trail bike than an XC bike. It’s long, low and slack. Slackest setting is 65 degrees.

I replaced a 2021 BMC Fourstroke LT. If anyone is interested it’s for sale… It was too big for me and I couldn’t get the integrated dropper any lower. Beautiful bike though. 

9 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

These are hard to find. I had it shipped from a shop in Brunei to Singapore as a complete bike and then just switched parts over. 2022 frame is very different to 2021. This is more a mini-trail bike than an XC bike. It’s long, low and slack. Slackest setting is 65 degrees.

I replaced a 2021 BMC Fourstroke LT. If anyone is interested it’s for sale… It was too big for me and I couldn’t get the integrated dropper any lower. Beautiful bike though. 

I know they are hard to find thats why I'm asking.  I'm a very loyal Rocky Mountain fan.

I would be happy with either 2017-2021 or a 2022.  The 2017 frame design in already a lot more slack than my 2013, and as you rightly pointed out the 2022 even more.

If you perhaps hear of anyone wanting to sell any RM Element Carbon frame (Large or X-Large) from 2017 to 2022 please let me know.

Edited by TheoG

I believe NSquared is the local agent for Rocky Mountain now. Maybe give them a try

Edited by thebob

1 hour ago, thebob said:

I believe NSquared is the local agent for Rocky Mountain now. Maybe give them a try

If they are, that would be news to me.  Cycle Mobile in Pta is a parts distributor but as far as I know there is no "Agent" in South Africa.

I will check out NSquared though, maybe I'm pleasantly surprised .... :) 

37 minutes ago, RandomEuro said:

Welcome back to the steel on gravel club! Sequoias are awesome. 

Oh, and don't go with Ramblers - they're the worst, least durable tyres I've used. Rather go with the Cinturatos or size down to 43mm with Gravel King SKs.

Thanks! It's good to be back. I never really left (I had a Rook Scout single speed as my second bike for a while), but I'm back in with both feet now. Hell, my moustache even plumped up by itself as I drove home with it! 

7 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Thanks! It's good to be back. I never really left (I had a Rook Scout single speed as my second bike for a while), but I'm back in with both feet now. Hell, my moustache even plumped up by itself as I drove home with it! 

Better pull those flannel shirts out of the laundry!

On 11/7/2022 at 5:51 AM, patches said:

Congrats Many happy miles!

My wife is slightly regretting her decision to jump the gun and get the XC40 T5 and not wait for the Recharge or C40... although those are about another $15k on what she paid.

Maybe a Polestar 3 for her, if she wins the lotto, haha!

Ta.  Saw my first C40 last week. Looks more attractive than the XC40, but possibly less U in the whole SUV equation with the coupe style roof line. The petrol XC40's here are retaining really high second hand values - so maybe its not too late to change.  I now understand the smugness of some EV owners - when in  good weather I just top up the electron tank from the sun - that's (near) priceless.