Vasbyt!!!!!

Eddy Gordo

Cassie, I assume you mean insurance policies like disability / Life etc.? Not sure.

If so many insurances still cover hazardous sports, you usually just have to disclose it and possibly pay a slightly higher premium. I am surprised your insurer didnt want to cover paragliding, was this a common refusal or just from your one insurer.?

I scuba dive a lot and its definitely classed as a hazardous sport but as long as I have proof I am "licensed" to dive, stick to the standard schedules etc I remain covered, but yeah, I dont know, but I doubt M/ Biking is classed as a hazardous sport so you are right, maybe it will cause insurers to be a little more cautious on their policies in future.

Clarity on this issue.

MTB is not a hazardous pursuit, neither is road cycling although there have been rumblings over the last few years regarding a potential shift in how insurers assess risk and there could be a loading imposed in the future if there is enough reason for it. Having said that the incidence is far less than death or disability as a result of car accidents so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Ito group risk cover, the cover provided by your company. No exclusions or loadings apply, unless you go over what's called a "free cover limit" in which case you will be underwritten normally in line with personal insurance policies. Group risk members are underwritten by the group, which is why loadings and exclusions do not (generally) come into play.

Some personal and group policies still have generic neck &back and psychological exclusions though, so there's that portion to worry about if its not part of the "new breed" cover.

Whatever the case may be, the chances of them repudiating a claim based on this incident are very low, as the pursuit is not "hazardous" per se. But there may be a neck and back exclusion on icb (income protection) and lump sum disability benefits, if structured in the "old" way.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

even more simpler, is when you fill out the incident report, they want to know you were wearing the necessary protection. This unfortunate youngster shouldn't have a problem on that basis alone.

Afaik that would just be a helmet. Not even a full face. In that case, big tick as he had a ff on as well as pressure suit etc

ed: happened at about 2pm, right Omega Man?

Must've happened shortly before 2pm. (We got there at about 2)

Very bad news indeed. I'll keep all my fingers crossed for a miraculous recovery.

Guest Omega Man

No. When I arrived they were riding that section.. sessioning.

This is the Quarry entry that was built for the 2012 DH event that saw 585 practice runs before the race run. (I did some calculations based on the 72km of shuttling I did that day.)

ed: happened at about 2pm, right Omega Man?

Ja. 2pm ish.

It's sad. Real sad. I really feel for the guy.

Words from he's dad with a pic standing next to he's son(rider)

This my son,my best friend, my colleague my working partner AND MY CLOSEST BUDDY! ................. Thanks for all the prayers. Faith is cure to .......... recovery! Thank you

I've left out something's i feel might start topics/discussions that might go off topic, this is thehub, and in this sad time i don't think it's necessary. Respect for the rider....

I'm still waiting to get an update on he's condition.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Meezo

Words from he's dad with a pic standing next to he's son(rider)

I've left out something's i feel might start topics/discussions that might go off topic, this is thehub, and in this sad time i don't think it's necessary. Respect for the rider....

I'm still waiting to get an update on he's condition.

Edit: Spelling

Thanks Meezo.