CSA and its Politics.....

Jerry Lewis

I recently returned from living abroad for 13 years and during my time abroad made a lot of Cycling contacts so I thought it only natural to share my knowledge and contacts with local youth in Cape Town.

I was then urged by the club to get involved firstly in the Region then into the Western Cape.

A new Western Cape committee was formed early in August where I was duly elected as the Transformation and Development officer and its was also decided that I would be the Western Cape,s delegate to run for the vacant Vice-Presidents position.

This entailed running against a candidate that has been involved in SA cycling for many many years so realistically I didn't have a chance.

Incidentally the same person holds the position of Road Director and Chief National Team Selector and is now the Vice-President.

But here is what I would like readers to know........I was flown to PMB (Mountain World Champs) to attend a special general meeting where the election for the new Vice-Presidents position was to take place.It was know before the meeting started that my colleague and I would be late and that the meeting was to be postponed until we arrived.......bearing in mind the Financial Director of CSA booked the tickets, car hire and accommodation all provided by CSA.

However before we reached PMB the election had taken place and the meeting concluded with the new Vice-President elected.

The reason given to me was that CSA misinterpreted their own constitution and that it was not necessary for me to attend.

So over 10k of Cyclists money was wasted on flying us all the way to PMB.

The reason have written this article is because I recently organized a trip for 6 youngsters to go and race in Ireland without a cent funding from any regional,provincial or National body.Juniors who recently attended the Track World Champs had to pay for their own trip to represent their country.........I can guarantee you that this does not happen with Rugby,Cricket and Soccer.

The Board of the CSA is really not reflective of diverse nature of SA and his run like a Mafia.......My colleague who was supposed to attend the meeting with me has since be suspended from all Cycling Activities until a disciplinary hearing for writing a letter to the UCI outlining the state of Cycling in SA .

This might not affect many readers but if you have kids coming through the Cycling ranks in SA or are an elite rider with ambitions of representing SA then this is for you.

I will now probably also be disciplined for Cycling into disrepute.........

I will let you all be the Judge of that.......

Regards

Gerald Francis

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since i got involved in cycling in 2000 there has always been something dodgy the way CSA operates, you would think that by now they would try avoid controversy.

I recently returned from living abroad for 13 years and during my time abroad made a lot of Cycling contacts so I thought it only natural to share my knowledge and contacts with local youth in Cape Town.

I was then urged by the club to get involved firstly in the Region then into the Western Cape.

A new Western Cape committee was formed early in August where I was duly elected as the Transformation and Development officer and its was also decided that I would be the Western Cape,s delegate to run for the vacant Vice-Presidents position.

This entailed running against a candidate that has been involved in SA cycling for many many years so realistically I didn't have a chance.

Incidentally the same person holds the position of Road Director and Chief National Team Selector and is now the Vice-President.

But here is what I would like readers to know........I was flown to PMB (Mountain World Champs) to attend a special general meeting where the election for the new Vice-Presidents position was to take place.It was know before the meeting started that my colleague and I would be late and that the meeting was to be postponed until we arrived.......bearing in mind the Financial Director of CSA booked the tickets, car hire and accommodation all provided by CSA.

However before we reached PMB the election had taken place and the meeting concluded with the new Vice-President elected.

The reason given to me was that CSA misinterpreted their own constitution and that it was not necessary for me to attend.

The reason have written this article is because I recently organized a trip for 6 youngsters to go and race in Ireland without a cent funding from any regional,provincial or National body.Juniors who recently attended the Track World Champs had to pay for their own trip to represent their country.........I can guarantee you that this does not happen with Rugby,Cricket and Soccer.

The Board of the CSA is really not reflective of diverse nature of SA and his run like a Mafia.......My colleague who was supposed to attend the meeting with me has since be suspended from all Cycling Activities until a disciplinary hearing for writing a letter to the UCI outlining the state of Cycling in SA .

This might not affect many readers but if you have kids coming through the Cycling ranks in SA or are an elite rider with ambitions of representing SA then this is for you.

Regards

Gerald Francis

so you didn't get elected!

Who is we ?

if you feel so bad about wasting CSA money you pay for the trip then!

if you really want to help the youth , get involved in your area - that is where the action takes place - don't worry about national bodies, they just a bunch of fat old men talking ****.

so you didn't get elected!

Who is we ?

if you feel so bad about wasting CSA money you pay for the trip then!

if you really want to help the youth , get involved in your area - that is where the action takes place - don't worry about national bodies, they just a bunch of fat old men talking ****.

Omar, from what I read he did get involved with the youth and he did try to give back to the community. The problem is that CSA controls all levels of cycling in this country so you can't just circumvent them. You even need a CSA day license for funrides?! Not sure what your gripe is?

His story is typical of what we all know and think of the CSA.

Regards

Gerald Francis

Gerald sorry to hear that but I could have told you a long time ago that CSA is a bloody circus

CSA's lack of support... fits in with what we've recently seen with Fire,

CSA's lack of support... fits in with the joke of a amount handed over to Darryl Impey.

I'd say/ask, is there any way the SA cycling community can take this up with the UCI, aka a vote of no confidence, request a new board, front to back, with no old faces left/clean start... but then I doubt this will be allowed.

CSA membership, one of those grudge payments you don't have a choice to make if you want to take part in anything at any level.

G

cycling is a small 'game' and i know most of the people involved (or were) in the WP & surrounds. one thing that puzzled me over the years and still does, are people who volunteer their services as a committee member, promise the earth & then at the first sign of any disagreement aren't man enough to stand their ground and work out their differences and work from within. they would rather resign their post and then stir the pot from outside & that helps no-one.

try & make make a difference in your own immediate geographical areas. period. then CSA will come to you. if you really want the unpaid volunteer post at CSA then take it.

A while ago in an interview on Supercycling ,our own Supermechanic, head of Team Sky's maintenance, Gary Blem said that he offered his services to UCI CSA at events in his spare time.

They asked him to submit his CV.

Edit: Corrected. Thanks.

Edited by Blokman

A while ago in an interview on Supercycling ,our own Supermechanic, head of Team Sky's maintenance, Gary Blem said that he offered his services to the UCI at events in his spare time.

you mean he offered his services to CSA.

in this day & age in SA sports u cross your t's and dot your i's so when the Dept of Sport call u in and discuss certain things you can show them that their development and transformation "agenda" was followed in all it's aspects. i can guarantee u no-one outside of cycling (and many inside as well) would know who Gary Blem is.

you mean he offered his services to CSA.

in this day & age in SA sports u cross your t's and dot your i's so when the Dept of Sport call u in and discuss certain things you can show them that their development and transformation "agenda" was followed in all it's aspects. i can guarantee u no-one outside of cycling (and many inside as well) would know who Gary Blem is.

Surely CSA should!? After all, they play God over all cycling activities in RSA.

Is it just coincidental that the CSA election get-together (including flights, car hire, daily allowance, accommodation costs etc.) happened in Pieter Maritzburg while the word championship was going on? :devil: Nice free outing for all!

Saving this money by doing the election with a tele-conference could have paid for some junior track cyclists to travel and compete. :cursing:

(The way they do things might be entirely legal, but this just reminded why I don't respect CSA much.)

A while ago in an interview on Supercycling ,our own Supermechanic, head of Team Sky's maintenance, Gary Blem said that he offered his services to UCI CSA at events in his spare time.

Trying to stay out of these discussions but.....how blimming ridiculous

Regards

Gerald Francis

i thought this was old news?

okes that really should not be representing SA are getting to represent only because they know someone who knows someone...

we have in the past as individuals helped sponsor and fly individuals over to represent SA on the international circuit and i'm not kidding 90% of the time they outperform the selected individuals!

not to mention that if you are selected you'll be lucky to have a month to train for the event due to CSA annoucing the riders so late! CSA is a joke

Edited by Furbz

cycling is a small 'game' and i know most of the people involved (or were) in the WP & surrounds. one thing that puzzled me over the years and still does, are people who volunteer their services as a committee member, promise the earth & then at the first sign of any disagreement aren't man enough to stand their ground and work out their differences and work from within. they would rather resign their post and then stir the pot from outside & that helps no-one.

try & make make a difference in your own immediate geographical areas. period. then CSA will come to you. if you really want the unpaid volunteer post at CSA then take it.

people do try! they usually get booted out or suspended. hence the reason for this article.

CSA is run like the mafia

Shocking! With a capital F