Single track blockers

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

So I want to rant a bit, and yes I know it's not Friday but just bear with me.

I did a 35km race on Sunday, bestmed Makro MTB race, which featured a lot of nice flowing single track sections. It would have been awesome had it not been for some idiot that just refused to move over for 5 seconds to let faster riders through.

After about 10 mins there was a string of about 10 riders stuck behind this guy for a good 10km og the course. He would speed up on the slight downhill sections but anything resembling an uphill or technical section and it was a major bottleneck.

So dear sir ,I realize that the track does eventually open up and that we can then get past but by that point you have already frustrated everybody and ruined what was supposed to be a nice outing by that time.

Please be considerate guys, if you are struggling and it's single track it takes virtually zero effort to just move over ever so slightly and let a quicker rider by. Who knows the guy you are aholding up may not be patient as I was and you might end up being ridden off your bike, is that really worth it??

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather pay the subs for a club membership...and go ride that ST any time you like...without the frustrations of slower riders to bog you down. Leave the races & masses to the people that do not mind getting stuck behind slow riders...

The bloke thinks he has the right of way..which hes has technically speaking...and letting 100's of riders past will not do his confidence any good...

As Cassie said, he paid just as much to ride that course as you did. If you want a good run at the single track, get a better start. That way you'll be riding with the race snakes.

I stopped racing for that reason. I suck at climbing and my fitness dictated that I rode in the bottom half of the field. Got tired of paying to ride congested single track and at some points stopping to wait for somebody to push down a "technical" bit. I just ride with my mates now and it's a lot more fun.

Edit: you better go get that asbestos blazer. It's going to get hot in here very soon... :ph34r:

Edited by Grebel

I think the speeches on race etiquette we get from the commosior here in gauteng is working .Overall i think the riders have become much more respectful of their fellow competitors.The seeding process is also better than last year

Edited by Blitzer

Some how he got in front of you???

They were queued up behind the 60km guys so yes I probably should have been further forward but so you learn. Also can't be too far forward or else I'll be the idiot holding guys up......

You ever ask him for track or to pass?

There were a number of very vocal requests for him to please let us by and no luck.

Traaaaaack!!!

While there is something about the atmosphere of a race, the crowdedness of it is why I rather go ride a track when its quiet.

Startign to think so too, pay R135 to go and get frustrated.

I am by no means the quickest guy out there but there something called common courtesy.

Anyway, should have known better than to rant here.

Thanks for the input.

So I want to rant a bit, and yes I know it's not Friday but just bear with me.

I did a 35km race on Sunday, bestmed Makro MTB race, which featured a lot of nice flowing single track sections. It would have been awesome had it not been for some idiot that just refused to move over for 5 seconds to let faster riders through.

After about 10 mins there was a string of about 10 riders stuck behind this guy for a good 10km og the course. He would speed up on the slight downhill sections but anything resembling an uphill or technical section and it was a major bottleneck.

So dear sir ,I realize that the track does eventually open up and that we can then get past but by that point you have already frustrated everybody and ruined what was supposed to be a nice outing by that time.

Please be considerate guys, if you are struggling and it's single track it takes virtually zero effort to just move over ever so slightly and let a quicker rider by. Who knows the guy you are aholding up may not be patient as I was and you might end up being ridden off your bike, is that really worth it??

Get a bell and give him 3 rings.If he still hasn't moved give him a PK from behind :ph34r:

Steven if you were racing for a position then you needed to use the gravel road section at the start to get in front of the slower riders. Remember that in the race briefing riders are asked to give way when there is place to do so and there is not always place to pull over on singletrack to allow faster riders past. That been said the singletrack at Hopewell is not very narrow so I don't see how one rider could hold so many people back for so long.