Cyclists Who Wear Helmets 'Wasting Their Time'

CDK

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish. A much as helmets may be flimsy in his eyes, they certainly have a place in cycling and have been showed to reduce risk of serious head injury during cycling.

Each to their own, but personally, I think I'll wear mine. Seen a craniotomy and evacuation of a haematoma, and I never want to be on that table if I can help it.

Load of poopoo, that guy's entire article is based on severe and fatal blows.

Let me tell you this, my friend swerved out of the way for a car and hit his head on the curb of the sidewalk. He was wearing a helmet and I can promise you it would have been another story if he wasn't.

There was a guy that lives in my area that wasn't wearing a helmet went down this steep hill, who knows what the hell he did but he ended up head first into a wall, he couldn't finish school and has severe brain damage.

This guy is a surgeon, with this status he assumes he has a greater knowledge or intelligence than the average person, he only has sturdy hands that is all, I completely disagree with that entire article. Because I have had first had experience with helmet vs. no helmet.

This has been brought up before. I think we are all big enough to make our own choices. I have seen cases where helmets have saved people from serious injury. Helmets won't protect you from everything, but do definitely help in many scenarios. I always prefer to ride with a helmet and gloves.

This guy is a bullshitter and an attention whore.

1) "I have cycling for 40years and I have been knocked off only once"

1.1 If in forty years you only came off once you are not doing any real cycling

1.2 A series of one is anecdotal and means nothing

2) "I see lots of people in bike accidents and these flimsy little helmets dont help"

2.1 You clearly dont understand the concept of pre-selection. It invalidates your statement. It means that the thousends that dont come to you, were saved by their helmets!

3) "I wear a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. I look completely mad"

3.1 Attention whore. The excact reason you are making this stupid statement - for attention.

Guest EdEdEd

3.1 Attention whore. The excact reason you are making this stupid statement - for attention.

Lets just hope natural selection does his job right!

This guy is a bullshitter and an attention whore.

1) "I have cycling for 40years and I have been knocked off only once"

1.1 If in forty years you only came off once you are not doing any real cycling

1.2 A series of one is anecdotal and means nothing

2) "I see lots of people in bike accidents and these flimsy little helmets dont help"

2.1 You clearly dont understand the concept of pre-selection. It invalidates your statement. It means that the thousends that dont come to you, were saved by their helmets!

This guy is a leading neurosurgeon in Britain. I dont know how he can say things like this. Surely he has seen the results of blunt head trauma in front of him on the operating table.

People who believe his crap, probably dont need a helmet, as they don't have grey matter which is worth protecting.

I've learned my lesson a the hard way that you need a helmet. No one needs to tell me the benefits anymore, haha

I'm probably only still alive today casue I wear a so called flimzy helmet.everyone to their own whether you wear one or not.but it sure as hell makes a difference,and I will not ride without one.

Pretty clever marketing ploy - his market for brain surgery will increase should people follow his advice. ????????????

So in the same manner of logical reasoning......the following would apply if he wants to Bungee Jump from let's say the Stormsrivier Bridge.

When one usually jumps from a height the feet lead in order to make contact with the ground first and send neurological reflex information to the musculature of the legs to contract as to absorb the ground reactive forces and assist in landing safely and avoiding injury.......

......so he must tie the Bungee cord around his neck and take a leap......common sense if applied correctly is sometimes an amazing thing.

Edited by BarHugger

Bollox! I had a very bad accident and smashed open my helmet behind my left ear on very sharp, dried mud where an earthmover, or something, had created tracks. Not a drop of blood, but a bad concussion. If I hadn't had my helmet on would have been horrible.

Thanks, but no thanks, Mr Neuro-whatever

Agree, I am that guy who refuse to ride with my sister in law's little ones if they don't weaR helmets, and it usually ends in tears and the parents being mad at me. They also don't believe in buckling up for short trips, but they know the rules in my car, so he reprimanded his dad the other day, "oom Chris ry nie as ons nie vas is nie"

It is there for a reason, just wear it.