SRAM - Good or Bad ???

jonnynogood

Shimano for racing, Shimano for training, Shimano for wheels and Shimano for fishing.

Welcome to my non mountain biking world.

Not once have those little Japs let me down in any department. They will get my hard earned bucks every time.

How is your Toyota Carolla doing ? ;-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From an engineering perspective the man has a point...mine cannibalized itself and didn't stop me when I needed them to.

Literately threw a set of elixir CR's in the bin....

been on XX for 3years, not a single problem. have not replaced pads or bleed the system in 3years as yet. i have a few mates rolling on XX and they were on Shimano.

could it not be rider use perphaps.

Edited by Madone69

been on XX for 3years, not a single problem. have not replaced pads or bleed the system in 3years as yet. i have a few mates rolling on XX and they were on Shimano.

could it not be rider use perphaps.

Boet if you haven't replaced pads in 3 years then you're not riding enough. ;)

How is your Toyota Carolla doing ? ;-)

Strange you should ask, I've owned a couple over the years. And a Hilux. Also currently have a Yaris and an Etios that my daughters use.

Was thinking about a Lexus too, but the new C-class is just too tempting, so I will have to support the Germans for a while.

Strange you should ask, I've owned a couple over the years. And a Hilux. Also currently have a Yaris and an Etios that my daughters use.

Was thinking about a Lexus too, but the new C-class is just too tempting, so I will have to support the Germans for a while.

Sorry hi-jack. Most certainly agree. The C Class is stunning

post-26136-0-76888500-1402641862_thumb.jpg

No use in changing if it's on the bike. However I did find that the Sram levers are a bit tougher to shift than the Shimano xt/xtr. They also have a longer stroke it seems. If your fingers are strong enough, stick to them. I bought a set of X0 brakes last year and found them much better than the Avid elixers of 3-4 years ago. But the Shimano brakes still trump them all for power and value for money.

Guest Karma

but is Shimano better on 26er or 29ers?

I think SRAM is good for 26ers, as long as it's full suspension.

Hard tails brake better with Shimano on front, SRAM on rear.

:rolleyes:

Your opinion!

Not fact.

Your opinion!

Not fact.

Compared to the Shimano XT's I had on my TREK en the Formula R1's on my Spez the avids are horseshit!!! They don't have enough stopping power and they squeal like a pig being strangled!!!

I have experience with Shimano, Avid and Formula and by comparing the 3 I can come to the conclusion that the Avids are the worst brakes money can buy...

I've had a bike with Shimano components, and I've had a bike with SRAM components.. made no real difference to me.

but is Shimano better on 26er or 29ers?

I think SRAM is good for 26ers, as long as it's full suspension.

Hard tails brake better with Shimano on front, SRAM on rear.

:rolleyes:

Bwahahaha, tire and groupset debate at once. Could cause a riot....

I ran Shimano Deore/SLX on my MTB and Shimano 105 on my first road bike.

Upgraded the MTB to new Sram X9 (and Avid brakes...) and Sram Rival on the new road bike and Rival/Force on the cyclocross bike.

Why? Just the upgrade bug, but I personally prefer the looks of my Sram stuff. Carbon everywhere.

I would run the X7/X9 that you have (switch the X7 stuff out for X9). Groupsets are costly so as said before a wheels/other components upgrade would be good.

At the end of the day, we all just want to go out and ride our bikes right?