hard work and determination or natural ability

Stretch

Further to the Leogang thread, there followed and interesting discussion about what it takes to be at the top of your game, to compete in a World cup or World championships and podium. These guys and girls have an incredible ability to control a bike and do so at speed (and we are talking about XC and DH).

Now the question raised is that is there an inherent ability that they have or do they just achieve that through hard work, passion and determination, bearing in mind that most of these guys are riding their bikes from age 3, 4 or 5.

Bruce Fordyce has said that anyone can train hard and put in the time and the miles, but unless you have the genetic makeup you will never win comrades. I tend to agree with statement across all aspects of sports - dedication and hard work is required no doubt, but all these guys have something in them in the first place that makes them want to shred around in their back garden from a young young age.

P.s - it would be great if we could bring some of the discussion from the leogang thread here to continue in a focused thread

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask Mark Cavendish - whilst working in a bank he was sent to a lab by British Cycling only to be told he didn't have the genetic make up to ever become a professional cyclist. 6 years later he won the World Championship.

I know its not XC or DH but you need big ones to participate in the sprint for the line.

I believe determination can get you far, but to make it into that top 5 percentile of professional sports, you have to have some basic given natural talent too. The really top guys have serious talent and the determination, but around those top echelons of sport the margins are tiny to say the least - just look at the DH result from the weekend.

For Downhill (lets keep it relevant to what we were discussing) - I would say (as a non-downhill laymen) that balance, reflexes, confidence and probably just good old fashioned guts are probably the most important attributes to have. It is though a really tough sport, and most likely the best potential downhillers (talent wise) didn't even make it to competing seriously (due to a lack of determination) - a broken, arm, back etc put them on to different career path or sport.

Edited by Andrew Steer

Yes, there is a huge genetic component to sports success...

could have just said that :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Ask Mark Cavendish - whilst working in a bank he was sent to a lab by British Cycling only to be told he didn't have the genetic make up to ever become a professional cyclist. 6 years later he won the World Championship.

I know its not XC or DH but you need big ones to participate in the sprint for the line.

I would be interested to see what they tested... body fat % :whistling:

He does have an above average % of fast twitch fibres, as per all sprinters.

He's always maintained though that what makes him a great sprinter is that he is one of the few guys that can hit near his max 1580 watts (I think it was) at the end of a race - he basically looks after himself better in the race. He's also quite compact compared with Greipel/Kittel etc - so more aero, and therefore requires less power.

In cycling the genetically gifted can't avoid the hard work; in something like football and definitely cricket, you can,

That mental edge that keeps them going when their bodies say no.That mental edge that keeps them training when their bodies want to quit.

Yes, there is a huge genetic component to sports success...

there is also the whole concept of gladwells outliers theory -where your surroundings as well as your birth date affect success...also a good read