First time I missed my 26er

CraigCCW

I am not trying to start a 26er vs 29er debate, but just wanted to share my experience.

Upgraded to a 29er Dec 2013, and have loved it, I am 6ft 100kg, and really felt as though it helped improve my riding.

This weekend I did a race at Northern Farms, and with all the twisty single track I really missed my 26er. My 29er really did not handle the twisty single track well, and I often ran wide, one such instance caused me to fall and wind myself quite badly.

I got up and continued riding, but really felt that if I was on my 26er, that twisty single track would have been alot easier, and alot more fun.

I love my 29er, but I do miss the nimbleness of my 26er.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to start a 26er vs 29er debate, but just wanted to share my experience.

Upgraded to a 29er Dec 2013, and have loved it, I am 6ft 100kg, and really felt as though it helped improve my riding.

This weekend I did a race at Northern Farms, and with all the twisty single track I really missed my 26er. My 29er really did not handle the twisty single track well, and I often ran wide, one such instance caused me to fall and wind myself quite badly.

I got up and continued riding, but really felt that if I was on my 26er, that twisty single track would have been alot easier, and alot more fun.

I love my 29er, but I do miss the nimbleness of my 26er.

You didnt fall with the 26er because you were riding too slow

Thank you for sharing... your information is not helping my decision making one one bit! :thumbup:

Sorry, don't mean to aid in your confusion :w00t:

Or spent more time evaluating a 650b!

Maybe that's the answer, granted that is some of the twistiest singletrack I have ever ridden.

You just did!!

Not the 1st

Not the last

I just enjoy riding my bike!

You just did!!

Not the 1st

Not the last

NOOOOOOOO Porky tell me you didn't just say that :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

That singletrack caught me out the first day I rode a 29er - always off on the outside of the corners - not anymore..... and it's not a 26" vs 29" thing - it's a technique thing.... what works on a 26" does not work as well on the 29" - but figure out how to make the 29" turn and you will never go back.

Gave my 26er to my brother yesterday, kept it around for a year after buying a 29er but have only ridden it about 3 times since and missed the wagon wheels everytime, even on singletrack. No going back for me.

You just did!!

Not the 1st

Not the last

I know I did, it was not my intention.

I am fully aware that 26er is significantly better for the more technical aspects, that is not debatable. I am just sharing the fact that this is the first time I have personally experienced the shortcomings of my 29er.

I am enjoying it, I enjoy it alot, but its always nice to hear what others have to say and have experienced.

That singletrack caught me out the first day I rode a 29er - always off on the outside of the corners - not anymore..... and it's not a 26" vs 29" thing - it's a technique thing.... what works on a 26" does not work as well on the 29" - but figure out how to make the 29" turn and you will never go back.

As was mentioned and confirmed by MTBBAAISIKLISTS a few days ago as well!

I am fully aware that 26er is significantly better for the more technical aspects, that is not debatable.

No actually that's very debatable and the reason we have a weekly 26er vs 29er thread

Guest EdEdEd

You better take this to the next level!

TWITTER

;)