How good is the "good" advice in the technical section

fabes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Telling someone to put Q20 on their brakes discs/pads because they squeak is an example....! "

:D

LOL: Technically this removed the squeek. It also made you very fast downhill and Reduced brake pad wear.Make sure your medical aid is up to date though ...

I have gotten great info here but it's one tool in the box - a very good tool.

It's like using a good pair of pliers to undo a nut - use correctly and wisely.

I think it helps when you get stuck to know you have somewhere to turn to.

Ps. The Q20 on disk pads was tongue in the cheek by poster (not me)

Then there is the SMALL matter of FACT and OPINION.

Edited by porqui

Generaly pretty good advice, there are people with a lot of good knowledge active here.

Like everything else on the hub or any internet forum you sometimes need to keep an open mind, have your sense of humour function turned on and be prepared to filter through lots of "stuff" to find the answer.

I don't often post in this section as I am not well clued up on the technical ins and outs around the bicycle, however I do come and read up on a few threads if I have a technical issue/problem on my bike to try and see if I can resolve it myself without having to pop in at LBS.

The first reason for me not posting a problem or issue is that I am afraid of the reaction I might receive and secondly I am not sure how great some of the advice is around here lately. I will see someone respond to a question with his solution to the problem then comes the second guy and says the total opposite of what the first person said. And then the big fight starts and the OP still doesn't have an answer to his/her question

So how good is the "good" advice around here?

I can only sugest something in the field where I feel comfortable in. That is information systems.

I would like to see the like function further developed on the hub. Where a post can not just be liked but rated and then after a certain threshold was reached a moderator can review his advice keeping with the original advice but put it in better words and the advice can also be reviewed by a professional expert. All three posts can then be posted in a permanent Q&A section with proper tags. First the original question, then the hub post then the expert opinion.

When it comes to obtaining information on a topic, the internet is a wonderfully usefull tool.

you have to

a) search correctly

b) sift through all the info and try and establish similarities to your situaton

c) sometimes troubleshooot by a process of elimination

d) youtube

I have learnt through owning a bmw motorcycle, and a Subaru, that the dealer's mechanics are nothing more than part exhangers, there is not a general understanding of their product to be seen.

I have had one or two bad exeriences with bike shops as well, thus thesame as above applies.

The best part about asking for advise here, is that youtube doesn't check out that you are struggling with something and offer to help with payment in beers as has been the case in some threads...

Some proper technically gifted chaps have shared some skills on these pages for nothing but the love of riding a bike!

I'll combine the advice I get on The Hub and the advice I get on Google and try and fix the problem myself. If I can't fix the problem, then my problem is the lbs' problem.

The best part about asking for advise here, is that youtube doesn't check out that you are struggling with something and offer to help with payment in beers as has been the case in some threads...

Some proper technically gifted chaps have shared some skills on these pages for nothing but the love of riding a bike!

Or the Love of Beer :drool:

My fav tool:

http://libertyroadmedia.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/monkey-wrench.jpg

Yes sometimes my advice is toungue-in-cheek but I do try help others by passing on the knowledge about bike maintenance and building I have learnt here and elsewhere, however when it come to my professional knowledge that is obviously what one needs to deal with more formally to say the least.

I have seen some seriously k@k advice being dispersed here of late.

People start tinkering a little and in true fashion they become overnight experts.

They give some shocking advice and the poor noobs take it as gospel.

Just because they can hold the tool doesn't mean they have been to school.

Who knows, the sky is the limit.