Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos on Autostyle for having the time and patience to post 28(?) ads, but is it really necessary to post the same ad for Cpt, Kzn and Jhb?

They are site sponsors... nothing wrong, they pay the lights and water... 

Thanks for pointing that out...wasn't aware of it.

They did remove a couple of the ads though.

And those who snap up the bargains sell them again for a profit..

That doesnt always work though. Mate of mine (also a hubber) had a road bike he was selling. That same bike is for sale for 7k more.

The new seller has reduced his price as it seems its not an easy sell.

I however got someone else to ask him if he is the first owner. He said he was. Thats also very k@k and needs a kick in the balls

The other day I was selling a ritchey carbon handlebar. At the same time there was a thread about a guy that bought a Ritchey but alas it was more a RICHEY.

I get a PM and a guy offers me R500. I advertised it for R1500. He motivates his offer referencing to the fake ritchey thread. Saying these bars have dropped in value due to the negativity from that thread.

Now please. Ive been in this industry for about 14 years. I know what goes and what doesnt. And your story was BS and your offer even more ****.

That doesnt always work though. Mate of mine (also a hubber) had a road bike he was selling. That same bike is for sale for 7k more.

I however got someone else to ask him if he is the first owner. He said he was. Thats also very k@k and needs a kick in the balls

he means he is the first owner since he bought the bike second hand............

The other day I was selling a ritchey carbon handlebar. At the same time there was a thread about a guy that bought a Ritchey but alas it was more a RICHEY.

I get a PM and a guy offers me R500. I advertised it for R1500. He motivates his offer referencing to the fake ritchey thread. Saying these bars have dropped in value due to the negativity from that thread.

Now please. Ive been in this industry for about 14 years. I know what goes and what doesnt. And your story was BS and your offer even more ****.

wahahhaha jis that is genius...but ja, tell him to vlieg in sy moer

wahahhaha jis that is genius...but ja, tell him to vlieg in sy moer

Cheapskate: Level Extreme.

Not only does he low ball the man but comes up with convincing evidence as to why his low ball is legit.

Classic classifieds!

What really upsets me is the people mailing, sms'ing or whatsapp'ing to enquire about the availability of an item and after receiving a reply that it is still available, dead silence.

I understand the message could have been sent in the spur of the moment but at least have the decency to reply that you aren't interested anymore.

Name and Shame.

Okay, jury's verdict on the below situation.

Bike is advertised on the classifieds for what is admittedly a very good price. I phone within 15 minutes after listing, discuss collection terms with the seller and we're sorted out 'till Saturday (since I'm in Pretoria and he's in Jo'burg).

Now I get a call where he's been offered 50% more than his listed price and he wants me to match it.

Complete and utter bull****!

Okay, jury's verdict on the below situation.

Bike is advertised on the classifieds for what is admittedly a very good price. I phone within 15 minutes after listing, discuss collection terms with the seller and we're sorted out 'till Saturday (since I'm in Pretoria and he's in Jo'burg).

Now I get a call where he's been offered 50% more than his listed price and he wants me to match it.

Complete and utter bull****!

name and shame....only remedy.

name and shame....only remedy.

Happens all the time (not the naming and shaming part). Guy was selling a Garmin last week for R1200 or so, Txt'd and he said 'had an offer of R1600 if you can beat it then it's yours', I said 'thanks but no thanks, you're just going to go ask to the other 2 to up the price if I do anyway'. I guess negotiable doesn't always mean down in price! 

Happens all the time (not the naming and shaming part). Guy was selling a Garmin last week for R1200 or so, Txt'd and he said 'had an offer of R1600 if you can beat it then it's yours', I said 'thanks but no thanks, you're just going to go ask to the other 2 to up the price if I do anyway'. I guess negotiable doesn't always mean down in price! 

Good old horse trading.

I guess it's fair to allow trading both ways. The ethics are kinda of questionable but if the buyer is always keen to under cut surely the seller has the right to "over cut" if he gets good offers?

Doesn't make sense that low balling is ethical but high balling is not.

Hmmm. Tough call.