ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Her best result in an international race of 'high regard' is 7th.

While she is breaking records in South Africa at various levels, she has not set the world on fire outside of our borders.

Also be aware that Ultras are not a huge focus for 'most' top distance runners and Comrades and 2 Oceans seem 'huge' but in fairness the field is pretty limited at the front of the race. 

Big fish, small pond 

I'm not disputing her absolute dominance in SA or taking away from her achievements, but on a global scale and going into the olympics she is an outside change medalist at best. 

While her dominance here is likely garnering some sideways glances, the top marathon runners and the officials monitoring the top marathon runners are likely not hugely concerned at this stage.

I for one didn't even consider her to be doping until reading this but firmly believe all the top cyclists to be dirty in some way.

Strange how differently all of us view the same thing.

I disagree with you on being a bit of a big fish in a small pond. True the ladies field in Oceans and Comrades might not be attracting the ultimate highest calibre in big numbers, but I’d argue Gerda could still compete and beat most in the road ultra world, even if they did participate.
Her range over the distances is very solid. 2h24 at Valencia last year with an 11th place. 7th at London Marathon. 
13th, 11th, 12th places at New York marathons. 
These are not nothing events by any means. And some of the best take part.

Of course the Kenyans and Ethiopians kind of dominate in marathons and that’s their focus, but could they actually perform in the ultra distance events? We’re yet to see it. 

2 hours ago, b-rad said:

I disagree with you on being a bit of a big fish in a small pond. True the ladies field in Oceans and Comrades might not be attracting the ultimate highest calibre in big numbers, but I’d argue Gerda could still compete and beat most in the road ultra world, even if they did participate.
Her range over the distances is very solid. 2h24 at Valencia last year with an 11th place. 7th at London Marathon. 
13th, 11th, 12th places at New York marathons. 
These are not nothing events by any means. And some of the best take part.

Of course the Kenyans and Ethiopians kind of dominate in marathons and that’s their focus, but could they actually perform in the ultra distance events? We’re yet to see it. 

Without getting into it, you've pretty much just repeated what I said while disagreeing with me. 

7th is her best result at a 'big race' on international shores. She is an outside medal chance at the Olympics at best.

The dominance at local Ultras is all relative to the quality of the front bunch because not many top runners actually run ultras, while the 'international Ultra scene' is also still tiny which she is yet to explore...... So far, she is a big fish in a Small Pond

Is she inspirational AF as a local runner? Yes

Do I hope she wins every time she lines up? Yes

Is she one of the top distance runners in the world? Probably not. By her results she is an 'also ran well' not a contender. Not yet anyway

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Without getting into it, you've pretty much just repeated what I said while disagreeing with me. 

7th is her best result at a 'big race' on international shores. She is an outside medal chance at the Olympics at best.

The dominance at local Ultras is all relative to the quality of the front bunch because not many top runners actually run ultras, while the 'international Ultra scene' is also still tiny which she is yet to explore...... So far, she is a big fish in a Small Pond

Is she one of the top distance runners in the world? Probably not. By her results she is an 'also ran well' not a contender. Not yet anyway

Breaking records. Actually smashing records without much competition says a lot about her abilities. Let’s see if there’s any real contenders who fancy their chances. Might raise the bar somewhat.

There might be some big talkers like Jim Walmsley on the ladies side of things for Comrades. Although they would actually need to line up at the start line unlike Jim😂

On 6/10/2024 at 11:14 AM, milky4130 said:

Started this running journey officially only +-2,5 years ago because I wanted to do triathlons and eventually an Ironman.

when i entered running races on its own I did pretty well, first big running race was Safari Half 2023, Absa RYC 10km 2023, CTM 2023, Two Oceans 2024 and now Comrades Marathon, goal achieved with a Silver Medal, nearly missed it because Polly Shorts is brutal after 80kms and walked plenty of it,so I had to run a negative split for the last 6.7kms 🤯

Insane! Well done. 

Did my first comrades after watching it in the 80s and every year since. 

Totally have to walk back my couch judgement of people battling to finish over the years, anyone who gets through this course is an absolute hero. 

Rolled the dice on pushing for a sub 10, but the legs didn't have it in the final 20km and 10:07 will be my first entry into this incredible story book. This medal will not be going into a forgotten box. 

The entire thing is insane. Bonkers. Anyone who calls themselves an athlete should take it on. 

11 minutes ago, b-rad said:

Breaking records. Actually smashing records without much competition says a lot about her abilities. Let’s see if there’s any real contenders who fancy their chances. Might raise the bar somewhat.

There might be some big talkers like Jim Walmsley on the ladies side of things for Comrades. Although they would actually need to line up at the start line unlike Jim😂

Irvette also broke Gerda's 2OM record this year FYI....

11 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Did they both not come in under the previous record time? 

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Did they both not come in under the previous record time? 

Yes.  Was that not exactly what I said?

On 6/10/2024 at 11:55 AM, mecheng89 said:

So, the dust has settled mostly on another Comrades Ultra. 

I hate to be the one to bring it up, but is Gerda really clean? Her total domination makes me doubt it. Second, third and fourth placed ladies looked like they've been through a war, whereas she looked somewhat more fresh.

Can we judge any superb athletic performance now without a hint of cynicism (spelling)? Perhaps my fear will never be justified and she has performed 100% under her own natural steam. 

Well let's look at the Up run record surviving by 11 seconds (despite it being ~1.4km shorter).

In the 2008 year that it was set, Russians filled 8 of the 10 top5 places of both genders.

We're looking at a FloJo record that could take years to rub off. Kotov who won a few times during the peak cycling EPO era also clearly a big red herring.

https://witness.co.za/archive/2010/11/06/no-action-on-shvetsov-20150430/

Back to Gerda, I can believe her results because like others have pointed out she is not such an outlier on the world stage. I do doubt her strategy though, smashing the record by so much is a bit silly - she could seemingly do a Bubka and toy with the records for at least another five years and get the chops for bettering them each time. Even more, easing back and finishing 5/8 minutes slower surely better for an Olympic marathon in a few weeks time.

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Well let's look at the Up run record surviving by 11 seconds (despite it being ~1.4km shorter).

In the 2008 year that it was set, Russians filled 8 of the 10 top5 places of both genders.

We're looking at a FloJo record that could take years to rub off. Kotov who won a few times during the peak cycling EPO era also clearly a big red herring.

https://witness.co.za/archive/2010/11/06/no-action-on-shvetsov-20150430/

Back to Gerda, I can believe her results because like others have pointed out she is not such an outlier on the world stage. I do doubt her strategy though, smashing the record by so much is a bit silly - she could seemingly do a Bubka and toy with the records for at least another five years and get the chops for bettering them each time. Even more, easing back and finishing 5/8 minutes slower surely better for an Olympic marathon in a few weeks time.

This is what I told my wife. Yes, she earned big tom for breaking the "record" (I think it shoudl thus be called the FKT, or Fastest Known Time) , and I presume the "fastest average speed" prize too, why didn't she just plan to break the record by  a minute or two, and stand a better chance to break her own Up record in 2026, therefore earning another fat cheque? 

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I will be really interested to see how Cian goes against Gerda - Gerda has the experience but Cian has only just started running Marathons and posted a 2:25:08 in February so she's clearly no slouch.  I don't think they have run head to head in a Marathon yet so its going to be an interesting match up.

And Cian is dating a pretty handy AG triathlete too so she's already a favorite in my book.

On 6/11/2024 at 7:20 PM, Shebeen said:

They both ran under the 33 year old record of Frith van der Merwe in 2022 too. Irvette might be like the other great runners running in the Fordyce era. 

On 5/24/2024 at 11:49 AM, ChrisF said:

Rookie question ....

As winter sets in, the Park Walk events are starting a few minutes before sunrise, thus properly chilly morning air .... heaven forbid there is a bit of a breeze.

First event I was underdressed ....

Last event I only had one hot top ... sweating like a pig, but could not take it off as it was too cold.

Any tips ?

I see some participants use a fleece top, which is tied around their waist when the morning heats up.

Had to smile ..... how quickly the wheel turns ....

A buddy joined me for a Park walk on Saturday, his first one.

Friday afternoon the phone got BUSY ... "What must I wear?"

Big thanks for all the helpful advise.

20 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Had to smile ..... how quickly the wheel turns ....

A buddy joined me for a Park walk on Saturday, his first one.

Friday afternoon the phone got BUSY ... "What must I wear?"

Big thanks for all the helpful advise.

That's what its all about bud, Pay it Forward