ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone does not cope with Racefood Farbar as food source on ultra's, what other practical food supply options is there that you can try out.   That obviously fits in a running belt.    Apart from the other real food you will eat at seconding spots.  

PS: Potatoes works great, just does not work so nice in a running belt!

If someone does not cope with Racefood Farbar as food source on ultra's, what other practical food supply options is there that you can try out. That obviously fits in a running belt. Apart from the other real food you will eat at seconding spots.

I used to think that my body loves Farbars until Comrades this year. Seems that after 40 km’s it only accepts real food but carrying bananas, potatoes and date balls can get quite messy. If you don’t want to rely on aid stations the best is having someone waiting for you at a prearranged location. The only option that might work is using a hydration pack but not everyone can run with one.

If someone does not cope with Racefood Farbar as food source on ultra's, what other practical food supply options is there that you can try out. That obviously fits in a running belt. Apart from the other real food you will eat at seconding spots.

Baby potatoes in a small zip lock freezer bag

Add a nice butter and salt mix to the bag

Hmmmmm lekkkker

I've been using the drink tailwind for the last few months, mont aux sources challenge, golden gate challenge and triathlons. Haven't needed any other food sources for the races.

I dont run Ultra's so am not a good referral source but I do LOVE peanut butter and a great referral source for that, so.... maybe try those yumyum peanut butter sachets??  They tiny and easy to carry.

If someone does not cope with Racefood Farbar as food source on ultra's, what other practical food supply options is there that you can try out.   That obviously fits in a running belt.    Apart from the other real food you will eat at seconding spots.  

Bananas, dry worse, energade jelly's, Jungle Oats bars, date bombs. Sandwiches, Banana bread

Also busy putting tailwind through it's paces at the moment and it is looking good, I will still need solid food for anything over 60km.

Bananas, dry worse, energade jelly's, Jungle Oats bars, date bombs. Sandwiches, Banana bread

Also busy putting tailwind through it's paces at the moment and it is looking good, I will still need solid food for anything over 60km.

Look forward to your feedback on tailwind, seems to be the go to supplement for endurance events. Lots of triathletes using it.

I dont run Ultra's so am not a good referral source but I do LOVE peanut butter and a great referral source for that, so.... maybe try those yumyum peanut butter sachets?? They tiny and easy to carry.

I can barely eat a Wedgewood bar.... Peanut butter would be torture

And beer? I drank a beer at 27km on a Trail run in May this year. Up until that point I was a cramping struggling mess. That beer solved it...

After about 4 hrs I usually need some solid food. Prefer something like Racefood's date and cranberry farbar.

Maurten drink is a good one to try. Not sweet and neutral flavouring which is good for running. One can make your own drink though at a fraction of the cost. Many recipes out there with the main ingredients being pure carbs (maltodextrin), fructose, and a bit of salt and flavouring if you want any.

For Comrades I made race cakes as used by cycling teams. Can be made with a neutral flavouring and are easy to digest. Not too convenient to carry like a Farbar but wrapped in tinfoil they're not too bad.

http://thesuchef.com/2014/07/29/team-sky-rice-cakes/

And beer? I drank a beer at 27km on a Trail run in May this year. Up until that point I was a cramping struggling mess. That beer solved it...

After about 4 hrs I usually need some solid food. Prefer something like Racefood's date and cranberry farbar.

Yeah, also crushed a beer when I got back to Balloch at Skyrun. The thought of that beer dragged me the last 5km to the checkpoint. I find the 32Gi chews to be really effective in terms of sustained energy on the run but after about 4 I begin to battle with nausea, however I found that the salted apricot Farbar settled my stomach again each time. So interspersing a Farbar between every few 32Gi chews became a good strategy for me.

Dry wors can also work.  I found a few nice home made bars and balls/bombs recipes.   Only problem is that there is few space in running belts.

I know Hammer perpeteum works great and have heard good things about tailwind as well, these stuff is just very expensive.

Thanks guys

I had "tropical chicken pasta" and a bavaria zero at each my seconding points during comrades, felt like a new man after that.  That will be my menu from now on...   That with Farbar's for inbetween.