ScottCM

Exactly...I will never claim to be an ultra runner...but I love the thought of being able to run some of that beautiful route!

Im also saying that if there was ever a shortened comrades, I would do it, that s not taking anything away from those peeps that train and run the full one....its simply saying that if there was a shorter one...I would do it.

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go have a look at the route history, where they cross the R37, left the route and rejoined later at the road crossing. Rules clearly state you can only rejoin where you left the route. Which is now over a 3 hour back track, even more if you consider it has been downhill for those 3 hours. 

Ah I see. I thought it may be the first section where most people seemed to cut that little loop out and back into WP1, but I assumed it was just (poor) GPS tracking

Exactly...I will never claim to be an ultra runner...but I love the thought of being able to run some of that beautiful route!

Im also saying that if there was ever a shortened comrades, I would do it, that s not taking anything away from those peeps that train and run the full one....its simply saying that if there was a shorter one...I would do it.

All things said and done... you could definitely run OMTOM Candz, you maybe just don't know it yet  ;) 

If they did ever do a short route for Comrades on the Sat for the supporters etc, I could get on board with that, it just mustn't be called the Comrades Half... I'm sure someone in marketing could bomb out a cool name idea with a subtle link.  

Comrades will never have and should never have a shorter distance... so you don't have to worry about that.....But 2 oceans has already introduced the half marathon so I still see no problem with including the relay. People will never say that they've done the ultra.. They will get a different medal a different shirt. They will have a different number on the day. Like I've said there is absolutely no difference between that and the half other than running the same route and maybe getting some cheers from the crowds thinking they are ultra competitors.

I'm pretty sure the 'purists' were just as horrified when Oceans introduced a half and/extended the cut off from 6 hours to 7. (I think it's 7.5 this year).

I'm not saying it will happen, but tapping a market that is willing to give you their money isn't entirely a bad thing for a company that has to be thinking about longevity and sustainability.

All things said and done... you could definitely run OMTOM Candz, you maybe just don't know it yet  ;) 

If they did ever do a short route for Comrades on the Sat for the supporters etc, I could get on board with that, it just mustn't be called the Comrades Half... I'm sure someone in marketing could bomb out a cool name idea with a subtle link.  

comrades 1/4 would be closer to it (but make it 22,25km to confuse people)

had a look at the nike trail shoes, anyone running in them? Comfort wise they seem good to me, just they will not stay those colours for long, wondering about durability. 

Which Nike are you looking at: Terra Kiger or Wildhorse? I'm using the Terra Kiger (still on v3) and very happy with them. Extremely comfortable. My fastest 10km so far this year was done in them, running off road. But it doen't really count for anything - I'm not the fastest bloke around.... The Wildhorse wil be similar the Terra Kiger 3 just with a bit of an higher drop and the added forefoot Zoom pad if I remember correctly.

I can't really comment on the new Terra Kigger 5. It is a completely new shoe by the look of things.

I'm pretty sure the 'purists' were just as horrified when Oceans introduced a half and/extended the cut off from 6 hours to 7. (I think it's 7.5 this year).

I'm not saying it will happen, but tapping a market that is willing to give you their money isn't entirely a bad thing for a company that has to be thinking about longevity and sustainability.

:thumbdown: 

Good argument there....

I'm not sure whether I got the thumbs down or the 50th anniversary free 30 minutes..

I am not 100% sure of that, but I read somewhere on the site that the cut off for the Ultra was at 14:10.

If I remember correctly 65-70% of all finishers finish between 6 and 7 hours so this might boost the numbers a bit. I don't really agree, but inclusion seems to be zeitgeist across the board.

I'm not sure whether I got the thumbs down or the 50th anniversary free 30 minutes..

I am not 100% sure of that, but I read somewhere on the site that the cut off for the Ultra was at 14:10.

If I remember correctly 65-70% of all finishers finish between 6 and 7 hours so this might boost the numbers a bit. I don't really agree, but inclusion seems to be zeitgeist across the board.

Now adding time to ultra events..... That's a whole different argument. In my book adding an extra hour to comrades was more sacrilege than some arb omtom relay discipline being added

Now adding time to ultra events..... That's a whole different argument. In my book adding an extra hour to comrades was more sacrilege than some arb omtom relay discipline being added

I completely agree.

However, as a business decision it has probably been quite good at getting the 'strugglers' back into the annual market.

The proverbial carrot was suddenly marginally more attainable.

We must all bear in mind the entries in these events are mostly sold to slow people

I completely agree.

However, as a business decision it has probably been quite good at getting the 'strugglers' back into the annual market.

The proverbial carrot was suddenly marginally more attainable.

We must all bear in mind the entries in these events are mostly sold to slow people

Slow is relative

Slow is relative

Yeah, for sure.

Like I said earlier, I think the rough stat is 70% of finishers at Oceans and Comrades finish in the last hour or less. So that's 70% of the field that would essentially be struggling to finish the 'old' cut off times. 

I k ow it's not as simple as that, but I do think the extra time is one of the reasons both events sell out so quickly these days. 

It IS more achievable than it used to be, thus more people are willing to risk it to get the biscuit.