ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I entered my first ever trail event on Sunday.

I have never ran a trail before

Do I really need to fork out R2k tomorrow for trail shoes or will a pair of my road shoes get me trough it?

I entered my first ever trail event on Sunday.

I have never ran a trail before

Do I really need to fork out R2k tomorrow for trail shoes or will a pair of my road shoes get me trough it?

A pair of road shoes will get you through it, bar any hectic mud and slippery conditions. If it's just dry trail you will manage...

The 4 month delay on wearing new shoes in competition is interesting. Thats surely quite a blow for advertising if nothing else. Us at the back of the field will be rocking new tech but the cameras at the front will not see any. Maybe I'm overthinking it. 

Expect though 4 months prior to Olympics to be a stormer for new releases. The cut off date is also a few days after the London marathon so maybe we see some quadruple carbon'ed 60mm beasts out there.

If you hurry you can still run in Antarctica on Thursday

https://worldmarathonchallenge.com/schedule-cost-2/

https://thepointsguy.com/news/757-to-antarctica

'If running a cumulative 182 miles in a week while being extremely jetlagged appeals to you, a seat on the 757 for the entire world tour can be yours for $24,000. But there’s a cheaper way to get on that unique 757 flight: seats on the Cape Town to Novo leg are available for $10,000. That will buy you passage to Antarctica and back, and a stay of 12 to 16 hours there — with no need to actually run a marathon, although passengers are welcome to if they want.'

Edited by Pieter-za

Shoes:

Max thickness 40mm

One carbon plate

They are not killing all shoe technology, but capping it.

Edited by Christie

Shoes:

Max thickness 40mm

One carbon plate

They are not killing all shoe technology, but capping it.

40mm.... bliksem, can just as well walk on stilts

40mm.... bliksem, can just as well walk on stilts

Nike Next % is 40mm heel height with a 8mm drop (avg stack height 36mm)

Nike 4% is 39mm heel height with a 10mm drop

The new Adidas prototype that was spotted at Houston marathon looks like a serious stack height. Probably more than the Nike?

Edited by b-rad

IMHO it wont happen... Too many record Books to rewrite now over the last 3 years

I would bank they put a peg in the sand at 36mm Stack height..  This would leave the Vaporfly 4% and the Next% right on range (31- 36mm) But never let the Alphafly (Klipchoge's sub2 shoe) which is 46odd come to Market. (from memory, give or take a mm or 2)

This will cover all their bases as Kipchoges sub2 was never recognized anyway

Too many Companies have now done 3yrs R&D on carbon Racers to just scrap it all now.

Also the Carbon has never been the main issue, stack height is.

Could be wrong but those are my Thoughts.

Wasn't Far off.... :ph34r:

Only Change is 40mm and not 36.... and now Nike will redevelop the Alphafly down to 40mm and release them in March....

This was a win win win for Nike... 

Edited by Ferret69

Nike Next % is 40mm heel height with a 8mm drop (avg stack height 36mm)

Nike 4% is 39mm heel height with a 10mm drop

The new Adidas prototype that was spotted at Houston marathon looks like a serious stack height. Probably more than the Nike?

People are way to fixated on Nike. Hoka stack heights have been in the upper 30s for years. The new Adidas is definitely more than 40. Hoka has a carbon plate in a high 30 stack shoe, do we see any ridiculous times in that shoe, no.

But stack height is not the determining factor of a good fast shoe. What makes the vaporfly great is the combination of react foam and the plate. The lightness of React allows them a higher stack height at low overall weight.

Personally I think all other brands, Adidas included are lightyears behind Nike. And now Rumour has it that the record breaking Alphafly is in fact a single plate shoe with a stack height less than 40. So we might see Kipchoges sub 2 shoe used in Tokyo. This would cause a copious amount of tears from the anti Nike crowd.

Personally I will never race in anything else than Vaporflys again. Its just that amazing.

shoe technology has been making huge strides (yes yes)  in recent years as each manufacturer attempts to better the other. Shoe tech should be allowed to progress without limitations.

Athletes are getting faster as diets, training are better understood, their equipment is getting better to. Should be allowed to continue. All athletes have access to the same shoes so in effect it just levels the playing field again.

shoe technology has been making huge strides (yes yes)  in recent years as each manufacturer attempts to better the other. Shoe tech should be allowed to progress without limitations.

Athletes are getting faster as diets, training are better understood, their equipment is getting better to. Should be allowed to continue. All athletes have access to the same shoes so in effect it just levels the playing field again.

I'm the opposite.

I reckon all official records should be run in a pair of North Stars.

Let the hackers substitute training, hard work and sacrifice with shoe tech, herbalife and miracle race nutrician... 

The 'real' athletes should be attempting and setting records in standard issue IAAF kit.....  :ph34r:  

I'm the opposite.

I reckon all official records should be run in a pair of North Stars.

Let the hackers substitute training, hard work and sacrifice with shoe tech, herbalife and miracle race nutrician... 

The 'real' athletes should be attempting and setting records in standard issue IAAF kit.....  :ph34r:  

Remember the shoes Bruce used to run in.

Remember the shoes Bruce used to run in.

That's exactly where I'm coming from.

By all means keep the innovation going and let the crazy guys run their Ineos sub 2 hour controlled environment spectacles, but official records should be run in standardised kit.

I know it will never happen, but I'm over the brand wars and the 'he is only that fast because.......'