divernick

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool - so very tight on the chainstay clearances? How does the diameter of the wheel with the tyre compare with a 40mm on a 29er/700c (or whatever you were running before)? Wondering how much it drops the bottom bracket...

Thanks :) Yes, a bit unacceptably tight actually! The total diameter is ~680mm. Previously I was running 42/700c Soma cazaderos, dia of ~710mm. So theoretical drop of 15mm? It feels like it handles much better now, but the bigger dia rolled better over obstacles...trade offs

Been a long time since I posted anywhere on the Hub, but here you go....

My fine steed has some new plus shoes....

Solaris XL, Scraper 45 rims, 2.8 trailblazers, Surly Krampus Ops fork. Just need to trim the steerer, and we're away! She's a fine beast indeed. :thumbup:

attachicon.gifbrett cotic.jpg

Boss! Would love to build a plus setup next! 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I need to thank some people accordingly:

Matthew de Jongh from Cotic SA. (info@cotic.co.za)

Matt was very patient and communicated brilliantly with me throughout my indecision. He helped me out with this older, 2015 model. I specifically wanted it for the sliding dropouts. Post-2015, Cotic ceased to make the Escapade with sliding dropouts.

Matthew does Cotic, as a side-line passion, better than dealers do their business. He makes very little from his dealings.

Matt also helped me out with an inexpensive headset and flared bars through his mate, Magnus.

Bikehub legend, Myles Mayhew, for kindly donating a saddle and SPDs towards my student-budget build.

Last and most certainly not least, fellow hubber Jewbacca

Have to have so much love for this dude - he stripped his own SS wheel to give me his Woodman SS hub. He then superbly built my wheelset, not asking for a thing in return. 

He also supplied me with a matchy matchy seat post.

All in all, this build cost me R12 500. For something this exquisite, it feels like robbery!

It took time, hunting for parts, but worth it.  :drool:

Awesome ride! Love the colour. Currently have my eye on a escapade frame! Want it as my commuter and my road bike! Due to where I live a normal road bike would be a waste. I have a minimum of 8km to get to the nearest tarred road! Enjoy she is a gorgeous!

Awesome ride! Love the colour. Currently have my eye on a escapade frame! Want it as my commuter and my road bike! Due to where I live a normal road bike would be a waste. I have a minimum of 8km to get to the nearest tarred road! Enjoy she is a gorgeous!

The truth is that the Escapade is correctly marketed at being a versatile road bike.

So change out the knobblies for suitable slicks and you've still got a great-riding road bike. If your body fat isn't less than 10%, having a strict road bike won't make a difference...

That is how I see it! I do enjoy long rides on the farm roads around here. Will very seldom only ride tar unless it is a race. Some of the blokes from my club want me to join them at the Kremetart, don't think I want to do that on the MTB bike!

whats the price tag on a cotic racer x frame with fork all with the bosses for either v brake or disk and panniers?

#asking for a friend

whats the price tag on a cotic racer x frame with fork all with the bosses for either v brake or disk and panniers?

#asking for a friend

I have a small planet X Kaffenback with all the bosses that needs a home... Just saying

I have a small planet X Kaffenback with all the bosses that needs a home... Just saying

And the Kaffenback is a lovely looking frame! Slowbee.....don't be slow. :ph34r:

I also have a frame that would need a home

I'm not actively selling but wouldn't be averse to letting it go. No rush. If it's meant to be

Hi Guys. Looking to order Roadrat but see it only comes in Large. I'm 6"4 so usually go for XL. Any tall riders tried L Roadrat or Escapade?