Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I Came across this Skaapsteker a couple of weeks ago a couple of km's outside of town. It was about 09:00 and this guy was just lying in the dirt road enjoying the sun. He didn't mind me passing slowly on the side of the road.

Three days later I found a juvenile Rinkhals at my house. I Stay on the edge of the suburb, next to my house is just veld. I Frequently get snakes in my yard. The ones that I know that are not venomous I catch myself and go release them further out of town. If I know it's dangerous or I don't know it at all I call for a snake handler. Luckily I know three of them in town.    

I wouldn't even attempt moving a non venomous snake, to go that close to any age rinkhals is brave. My Aunt and Uncle used to live on a plot in benoni, they had a Rotti, boerbul and a staffie. They also had quite a few rinkhals'(or just one repeat offender) but the dogs had all been "spat" at and rushed to the vet. Luckily non of them ever got bitten or went blind or anything like that but they were a bit subdued for a few days. Now they live in Zinkwazi and have to worry about monkeys attacking the dogs.

Where do you get those takkies with the built in snake pole?

:D Just a weird angle when the photo was taken.

I'm sure I've shared this before here. A while back I was cruising along one of the higher/flatter sections in Tokai, just chilling, contemplating life and generally not concentrating after a big effort on the long uphill drag, just pounding out a good tempo effort. I noticed a different colour on the path. It was a young snake heading across, his head was almost off the path, but his tail was almost under my front wheel. I avoided running him over as a pure reflex, as I turned to check him out I saw he'd turned and his little black hood was out. He made a decent strike, not sure if it was accurately aimed at anything, but I saw a flash of black and green towards the back tyre. I think a combination of my speed, his suprise and the fact that he had to turn meant that he was always going to miss. But still, I think we both kakked ourselves. It did get me thinking though. I ride almost always alone and sometimes in places far more remote than Tokai. What happens if he connects? Do I cruise back down the hill as calmly yet as quickly as I can and get help, or do I sit/lie down and hope someone finds me, which could take hours?

Pic is off the interent, I googled 'greenish snake with black hood' and this is what came up. Could be his twin.

In that area and with those colours it would almost certainly have been a Juvenile Cape Cobra - they've often got a black band across the throat and are often yellowish green in colour. 

But its a good question about what to do. In the case of a Cape Cobra I can say definitively that you should do as little movement as possible and call for help as soon as possible. So unless you can freewheel back to an easily accessible place in a few minutes without making any physical effort, rather just sit down and call emergency services. 

I wouldn't even attempt moving a non venomous snake, to go that close to any age rinkhals is brave. My Aunt and Uncle used to live on a plot in benoni, they had a Rotti, boerbul and a staffie. They also had quite a few rinkhals'(or just one repeat offender) but the dogs had all been "spat" at and rushed to the vet. Luckily non of them ever got bitten or went blind or anything like that but they were a bit subdued for a few days. Now they live in Zinkwazi and have to worry about monkeys attacking the dogs.

That's not me mocking the Rinkhals, I leave them the f#@ck alone ! It's my friend Phillip, his a very  experienced snake handler.

My recent encounters

Puffy and Egg eater

I love that pic of the egg eater. I've always liked those snakes. Non-venomous and attractive markings: my kind of snake! We used to get Eastern Tiger Snakes where I grew up in the lowveld - really beautiful. 

I have had numerous snake encounters from puffies in our house in Scarborough to Moz spitters in my lounge in Ginja

But the best example I have seen of how snakes avoid confrontation if possible was when we did a kloof down Riviersonderend as a prelude to our first Suicide.

13 of us and I was the sweeper.Halfway down the kloof and I looked down and at my feet in a crack and drinking from the river was a 1,5m Geelslang.I have a pic and will dig it out.

Everyone of the 13 strong group had just stepped over him without even noticing.He was watching me all right but totally relaxed

Wonderful snake.

Or you could just move to the middle of the city and live in an apartment 20 storey's up!

I have had numerous snake encounters from puffies in our house in Scarborough to Moz spitters in my lounge in Ginja

But the best example I have seen of how snakes avoid confrontation if possible was when we did a kloof down Riviersonderend as a prelude to our first Suicide.

13 of us and I was the sweeper.Halfway down the kloof and I looked down and at my feet in a crack and drinking from the river was a 1,5m Geelslang.I have a pic and will dig it out.

Everyone of the 13 strong group had just stepped over him without even noticing.He was watching me all right but totally relaxed

Wonderful snake.

there goes that idea of doing the gorge again  :eek:

Imagine what one's mind might do after the phone call - sitting in the trail -

repent for sins?

write letters to loved ones in gel goo in the dust?      call loved ones?

call insurance broker?

In that area and with those colours it would almost certainly have been a Juvenile Cape Cobra - they've often got a black band across the throat and are often yellowish green in colour. 

But its a good question about what to do. In the case of a Cape Cobra I can say definitively that you should do as little movement as possible and call for help as soon as possible. So unless you can freewheel back to an easily accessible place in a few minutes without making any physical effort, rather just sit down and call emergency services. 

Imagine what one's mind might do after the phone call - sitting in the trail -

repent for sins?

write letters to loved ones in gel goo in the dust?      call loved ones?

call insurance broker?

Someone I know once said that if ever she was bitten by a black mamba, she was going to start smoking again because then she won't have to worry about it killing her.

Had a nice ride of the Meerendal trails this morning.

There were 3 or 4 runners in the distance, on their trails.

Think I saw 4 other riders on the trails, all them somewhere way behind me ....

Normally I dont worry about snakes, under the illusion that other riders ahead have cleared the trails - PLEASE dont burst this little buble of false security !!

This morning was nice and hot, nice growth right up the trails .... no real way to look out for snakes in the distance .....  coming down the single tracks I realised that there is just no way to stop or go off trail if you find a snake around a corner .....  not a very comforting thought.

Then I asked myself .... just how many riders have actually been bitten by snakes ?  Yes, it is a risk, and we should be alert and try to stop clear of snakes.  But really, just how much of a risk is it really ?  TOUCH WOOD !!!

Of all the risks we take daily, this may possibly be one of the lesser ones .....