Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Sure this has been asked on here before somewhere, so please point me in the right direction if it has, but is there a way to still use Strava to get vitality points? I don't want to always Cycle with my watch using the activities app on my Apple Watch to get points and I unfortunately do not have a Garmin device (using Bryton). Can I not use some third-party app which they will recognise?

Nope. Not anymore, afaik. 

Could be wrong, but I think the loophole was closed with some clever coding to detect a workout that didn't use a recognised device and / or was uploaded instead of captured natively. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Not anymore, afaik. 

Could be wrong, but I think the loophole was closed with some clever coding to detect a workout that didn't use a recognised device and / or was uploaded instead of captured natively. 

<oops!>...

Why would they not trust Strava?  :thumbdown:

<oops!>...

Why would they not trust Strava?  :thumbdown:

Because there is no way to determine the difference between a manually logged activity vs an actual recorded on in the payload strava gives. Users who are not premium also do not include HR data so the data they have access too is unreliable.

Because there is no way to determine the difference between a manually logged activity vs an actual recorded on in the payload strava gives. Users who are not premium also do not include HR data so the data they have access too is unreliable.

Makes sense.

So guess I am stuck using the Activity app... 

Still had 2 rewards - one that would have expired next week Wednesday and one that would have expired the 25th. Both for coffees.

Got a notification now that I have to play a board ... another coffee ... but what happened to the two existing ones?

Anyone else lost vouchers recently?

Still had 2 rewards - one that would have expired next week Wednesday and one that would have expired the 25th. Both for coffees.

Got a notification now that I have to play a board ... another coffee ... but what happened to the two existing ones?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/155595-discovery-health-vitality-and-team-vitality-plus-everything-else-you-need-to-know/page-477?do=findComment&comment=3380373

If you look at the top left of the screenshot linked to above you'll see the number of discovery coins you have - if you add it up you should find that your old unused vouchers have been automatically converted to coins.

that tracker is such a pain... I dont ever get any rewards from driving. the only time I got a reward was when I drove in Hluhluwe game reserve. that was my only 100km within the speed limit :whistling:

I hate to say it, but I like it. My driving has gone from being aggressive and impatient to chilled out and a bit more courteous to other drivers. It’s a lifestyle change that certainly is achievable. Still irritates me (occasionally) when I see plonkers driving down the emergency lane, or using their phone while driving.

If you look at the top left of the screenshot linked to above you'll see the number of discovery coins you have - if you add it up you should find that your old unused vouchers have been automatically converted to coins.

There's only the 25 coins which is one coffee. Will give them the 48 hours they said ...  never been able to use it, but was nice to send to my hubby (who had a vida in the building)  on days that we commute, so hoping I'll get them back 

I hate to say it, but I like it. My driving has gone from being aggressive and impatient to chilled out and a bit more courteous to other drivers. It’s a lifestyle change that certainly is achievable. Still irritates me (occasionally) when I see plonkers driving down the emergency lane, or using their phone while driving.

Yeah for sure. I realise that I've also become much less impatient and frustrated whilst driving. I just get totally effed off when someone does something stupid in front of me and I need to slam on the brakes. That's pretty much the only time I get knocked down by Discovery. I pretty much never exceed the speed limit now (although there are some questionable times where the app says I've sped, but I know for sure I haven't), harsh acceleration never happens, neither does phone use. It definitely had a positive effect on my driving.

that tracker is such a pain... I dont ever get any rewards from driving. the only time I got a reward was when I drove in Hluhluwe game reserve. that was my only 100km within the speed limit :whistling:

The one that links to your phone? It is about as reliable as a Gupta!

It happens way too often that my drive to somewhere is recorded, but not the one back. Or the trip recording starts after having driven for a good few minutes.

I like the concept, I think all insurers should use something like it. But then it has to work, consistently.

Yeah for sure. I realise that I've also become much less impatient and frustrated whilst driving. I just get totally effed off when someone does something stupid in front of me and I need to slam on the brakes. That's pretty much the only time I get knocked down by Discovery. I pretty much never exceed the speed limit now (although there are some questionable times where the app says I've sped, but I know for sure I haven't), harsh acceleration never happens, neither does phone use. It definitely had a positive effect on my driving.

I’ve told them (Disco) that it’s either a harsh braking event or a claim for an incident... given that one harsh braking event still allows for a ️ drive, I’m not too concerned.

Where I lost out, was when my company changed from Shell to Engen... no more cash back.

Sure this has been asked on here before somewhere, so please point me in the right direction if it has, but is there a way to still use Strava to get vitality points? I don't want to always Cycle with my watch using the activities app on my Apple Watch to get points and I unfortunately do not have a Garmin device (using Bryton). Can I not use some third-party app which they will recognise?

**** out of luck boet. Fitness device only, and not even all of them are recognised. 

There's only the 25 coins which is one coffee. Will give them the 48 hours they said ...  never been able to use it, but was nice to send to my hubby (who had a vida in the building)  on days that we commute, so hoping I'll get them back

Same issue... I send them to my daughter. Today, both coffees gone!

Losing interest as they (Disc) make it harder to earn so they don't hAve to lay out monies for redemptions.

Same issue... I send them to my daughter. Today, both coffees gone!

Losing interest as they (Disc) make it harder to earn so they don't hAve to lay out monies for redemptions.

So your exercising is exclusively for the rewards, not for fun, or health or any good reason?

Ya sure, I like the rewards, but not getting them isn't gonna make me stop running, cycling and xfitting.

Of course they going to make it harder, but at least they also expanding choice and increasing the quality of the rewards pool. I'd rather wait 12 weeks and get something pretty awesome than a coffee or a smoothie, both of which I can get much better of at other places. Sure, free is nice, but I'd rather skip the free shitty smoothie and coffee for the option to get something better, something actually motivational.

So your exercising is exclusively for the rewards, not for fun, or health or any good reason?

Ya sure, I like the rewards, but not getting them isn't gonna make me stop running, cycling and xfitting.

Of course they going to make it harder, but at least they also expanding choice and increasing the quality of the rewards pool. I'd rather wait 12 weeks and get something pretty awesome than a coffee or a smoothie, both of which I can get much better of at other places. Sure, free is nice, but I'd rather skip the free shitty smoothie and coffee for the option to get something better, something actually motivational.

I think what Dee is leaning towards is totally canceling their Vitality membership.

I have reached that point where my Vitality fees and Discovery Card fees and the Discovery Miles fees are simply not paying for themselves anymore.

Rather save those fees into a unit trust account and build something meaningful with the money.

At least, that is where my head is at currently.