Name and shame the litterbugs

Pall Catt

Hey guys,

Not sure if a platform like this already exists on the hub but it has been annoying me for some time to see how a few other riders thoughtlessly toss their wrappers and other litter out on the road/trail during a race. It really isn't that hard to just put it back in your pocket where you pulled it out of. I'm sure the topic of littering itself has been discussed at length and I'm sure the cycling community on the whole doesn't condone it so I cant think that this is just a matter of people needing to be educated, so how about starting to single out transgressors and name and shame them. I don't know if its always possible to obtain a name from a race number, but maybe even just reporting a race number on here so that if that person sees it and recognises it, perhaps they will feel some shame and think twice before they do it the next time.

I'll start:

Rider VA179 in Discovery Vitality shirt on the Emperors Palace Classic Road Race this past weekend blatantly tossed aside some wrapper. If you are reading this, please stop this ignorant behaviour :thumbdown: .

Edited by Pall Catt

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Not sure if a platform like this already exists on the hub but it has been annoying me for some time to see how a few other riders thoughtlessly toss their wrappers and other litter out on the road/trail during a race. It really isn't that hard to just put it back in your pocket where you pulled it out of. I'm sure the topic of littering itself has been discussed at length and I'm sure the cycling community on the whole doesn't condone it so I cant think that this is just a matter of people needing to be educated, so how about starting to single out transgressors and name and shame them. I don't know if its always possible to obtain a name from a race number, but maybe even just reporting a race number on here so that if that person sees it and recognises it, perhaps they will feel some shame and think twice before they do it the next time.

I'll start:

Rider VA179 in Discovery Vitality shirt on the Emperors Palace Classic Road Race this past weekend blatantly tossed aside some wrapper. If you are reading this, please stop this ignorant behaviour :thumbdown: .

report it to the race organizers so that this rider maybe be banned from doing their races again & hopefully other event organizers will follow suit.

It's called job creation. If I toss my wrapper, the government must employ someone to pick it up. Thus you must actually thank me for taking initiative and helping someone to put food on the table for his/her family  :ph34r:  :whistling:  :devil:

Just joking...........I also hate it. I don't wait to shame them here though, I sommer tell them there and then that it's not cool........ They usually respond with a "F@$k Off" but hopefully they realise that someone sees them and feel a little bit bad and think twice next time.

I try to remember race numbers to report them after the races but always seem to forget it in the last 5km.

I still can't figure out how anybody can think it is ok to throw their *** into the veld during a race. Would love to find out where these people live and start dumping my rubbish on their lawns.

It's called job creation. If I toss my wrapper, the government must employ someone to pick it up. Thus you must actually thank me for taking initiative and helping someone to put food on the table for his/her family  :ph34r:  :whistling:  :devil:

Just joking...........I also hate it. I don't wait to shame them here though, I sommer tell them there and then that it's not cool........ They usually respond with a "F@$k Off" but hopefully they realise that someone sees them and feel a little bit bad and think twice next time.

My usual response to that is.  "Ok cool, so I can murder you right now cause that's job creation for the police. Good to know."

I always put my wrappers back in my pockets, but I must say at emperors Classic the pace was so quick and E batch were so twitchy with all the hard braking for nothing, that it became almost reckless to take ur hands off the brakes for long enough to get a gel out and put the wrapper back. So I tried to get them out in time to chuck the wrapper down at a water table , where I knew it would be cleaned up along with water sachets/bottles that are picked up anyway. I know it's not ideal, but honestly I couldn't do any different. Is this acceptable or not?

I always put my wrappers back in my pockets, but I must say at emperors Classic the pace was so quick and E batch were so twitchy with all the hard braking for nothing, that it became almost reckless to take ur hands off the brakes for long enough to get a gel out and put the wrapper back. So I tried to get them out in time to chuck the wrapper down at a water table , where I knew it would be cleaned up along with water sachets/bottles that are picked up anyway. I know it's not ideal, but honestly I couldn't do any different. Is this acceptable or not?

I was just going to say that there was a few guys in EL that I spotted throwing gel wrappers along the route, just could see or remember their numbers.

imo I wouldn't think that its ok to get rid of them at the water points. If you could drink or eat while being in a fast paced bunch then surely you can get the used wrapper into your pocket without too much of an issue.

Rather that than causing a crash.

so you can get it out, open it and eat it but cant get the wrapper back....?

getting the wrapper back in your pocket is the easiest part if you ask me.
Why not just drop back to the back off the bunch do your thing and then get back to the front?

Trashy people are everywhere, even in cycling, they have no respect for themselves and even less for others or the environment!

I have stopped counting the amount of times I've seen hands throwing packs of McDonalds and KFC out of windows of taxis, but mostly vehicles worth close to a bar or even more! Also a new trend is discovering all the bumpers, mirrors, glass, radiators, oil, etc. + all the trash that was in the vehicle lying next to the road after a crash when you go for a morning ride.

There's scrap trash, building + garden rubble + stink everywhere in Gauteng, it's becoming one huge dump-site! Disgusting, not to mention the increase of air pollution.

Then there's Pikitup strikes making it worse....

Parks Tau dismisses DA’s bubonic plague claims The rodent was one of 13 taken for testing from Mayibuye, Region A in Johannesburg.

City of Joburg Mayor Parks Tau has dismissed claims by the Democratic Alliance that bubonic plague has been found in dead rats in Midrand, Gauteng.

This followed reports that the City of Johannesburg was worried about the health and environmental impact of the ongoing strike at waste management entity Pikitup after a rodent tested positive for the dormant plague

http://www.citizen.co.za/1064541/joburg-mayor-dismisses-das-bubonic-plague-claims/

Taking out a water bottle, drinking, then putting it back in its cage, is a much more difficult manoeuvre than taking out and eating a gel/energy bar. 

If you can drink from your bottle and put it back in its cage while tucked deep in the bunch, then you can certainly put your wrapper back in your pocket.

And for those who aren't too sure of their bike handling skills in those situations, then all you do is just drift out to the outside right hand side of the bunch, take your drink or eat your bar, then ease back in when you're done.

So simple.

Taking out a water bottle, drinking, then putting it back in its cage, is a much more difficult manoeuvre than taking out and eating a gel/energy bar. 

Agreed. :thumbup:

I find it easier and quicker to shove the rubbish under my bib leg elastic than trying to find a pocket in a twitchy bunch.

Then, when you get home and take your kit off, it falls on the floor in your own house, where even the most litterate of litterers won't leave it lying.

Edited by marxie

If people are willing to produce a list of known offenders, I have no problems having their names read out at the start of the race in November.

No banning them, but rather the shaming route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk