fandacious

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Unbelievable 😖 

"A top runner has been disqualified from an ultra-marathon after she allegedly rode in a car for a portion of a high-profile 50-mile race.

Joasia Zakrzewski, 47, finished third in the 2023 GB Ultras this month, but has since been accused travelling two and a half miles of the route by car.

The runner, who works as a GP, is understood to have been caught after tracking information showed she attained a ‘super-human’ top speed of 35mph – far faster than Usain Bolt at his best. 

Just weeks earlier Dr Zakrzewski smashed the world record for the most miles run by a woman in 48 hours. Now rivals have called for the runner – who represented Scotland in the marathon at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow – to be banned from racing."

'How can someone who cheated cross a finish line and collect a medal?' Rivals call for record-breaking British ultra-marathon runner, 47, to be kicked out of the sport after she was 'DRIVEN at 35mph for part of a 50-mile race because she felt sick'

Quoted from UK Daily Mail

6 minutes ago, Johan A Marais said:

Unbelievable 😖 

"A top runner has been disqualified from an ultra-marathon after she allegedly rode in a car for a portion of a high-profile 50-mile race.

Joasia Zakrzewski, 47, finished third in the 2023 GB Ultras this month, but has since been accused travelling two and a half miles of the route by car.

The runner, who works as a GP, is understood to have been caught after tracking information showed she attained a ‘super-human’ top speed of 35mph – far faster than Usain Bolt at his best. 

Just weeks earlier Dr Zakrzewski smashed the world record for the most miles run by a woman in 48 hours. Now rivals have called for the runner – who represented Scotland in the marathon at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow – to be banned from racing."

'How can someone who cheated cross a finish line and collect a medal?' Rivals call for record-breaking British ultra-marathon runner, 47, to be kicked out of the sport after she was 'DRIVEN at 35mph for part of a 50-mile race because she felt sick'

What hits me the most is how dof this is as far as cheating is concerned.....if there is a form of gps tracking used this will always be found

5 minutes ago, Johan A Marais said:

Unbelievable 😖 

It's not unheard of... 

Benni Roux got a ride in a car after going off route at the inaugural Munga trail and went on to 'win' it....

The car in question was the race director. 

People do dumb stuff all the time. The twins who swapped out at Comrades etc

I believe there have been runners DQ'd and banned for jumping in cars when running Comrades

What gets me, is that you know you have cheated, you go on the podium, accept all the prices, you download everything to Strava, and you attached your podium photos etc.  The audacity of it all... like really?

And on top of it all, you are a well know international competitor with great results.  How to end a career - boom!

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's not unheard of... 

Benni Roux got a ride in a car after going off route at the inaugural Munga trail and went on to 'win' it....

here's a great recent article on this saga

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-not-quite-redemption-of-south-africas-infamous-marathon-cheats-2022-12

56 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's not unheard of... 

the couple who both mens and womens Detours two decades ago....

rumour has it "riders" have also got into cars and remerged in a leading bunch at Tour of Good Hope.

ego makes people do strange things

2 hours ago, Irvin85 said:

Like a true politician, we only address what is in the subject line. 

Probably, I do not think the cycling has cleaned up its act at all and I doubt it will ever do. The riders and doctors have just gotten better at masking it. But I guess as they say, lets just pretend to live under a rock and enjoy the "sport" for what it is. 

@Irvin85, out of respect of the Classics thread, let's discuss the doping thing further here.

Is it fine if we "pretend to live under a rock" with other sports?

Let's take Rugby for example: is there even close to the same level of scrutiny on doping controls as there is for Athletics and Cycling?

Or, is it a case of us liking the status quo of not labelling Rugby as a dopers sport, thus we don't increase doping control?

Cases for which a final decision has been rendered and a sanction(2019)

-Cycling: 139

-Athletics: 173

-Football: 67

-Weightlifting: 137

-Rugby: 57

-American Football:14

-Baseball: 15

-Bodybuilding: 217

WADA(2019) report attached for context. There might be a later report, but this one was easy to find.

2019_adrv_report_external_final_12_december_2021_0_0.pdf

Edited by Vetplant

25 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

As a friend once told me, whenever there is money involved in any sport you will find a "geknoeiery" (It translates as tinkering)

There does not need to be money involved.

6 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

There does not need to be money involved.

That is so true, many stories of 'fun riders' knoie-ing 😜

I have some personal experience at a 24hr race a few years ago amongst others ... 

@Vetplant I agree 100% with what you are saying. I guess in a team sport it is easier to hide a doper. As for athletics and cycling it is way easier to stand out from the crowd. 

I just really find it hard to believe that a cyclist can be so much better than the rest that he wins almost every race he enters. Back in the Armstrong era almost the entire peloton was using some kind of an enhancer.  I cannot remember the year, think it was 2003, that out of the top finishers in the tour the France the first cyclist whose name has not been linked to a doping scandal ended up 27th. 

A lot have been said about cycling being cleaner since the Armstrong era but I honestly do not believe that is the case. There is also some doubt about Wiggins and the Jiffy bag saga. So I honestly think team sky was US postal on "steroids'"