Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

Would you please share where you purchase your wood working power tools (in JHB preferably if they do not ship)?

I would like to replace a router (and bits), orbital sander and jigsaw. I am a bit out of touch with the cost of things.

Thanks!

Hi Guys

Would you please share where you purchase your wood working power tools (in JHB preferably if they do not ship)?

I would like to replace a router (and bits), orbital sander and jigsaw. I am a bit out of touch with the cost of things.

Thanks!

Hardware centre in Randburg, one of the few places that keep quality tools these days

Yoh ... that gap though :eek:

Not sure what gap you're referring to? There's a slight thickness difference, which is casting a shadow, not a gap. They asked that it's not too "finished".

The sample I was asked to replicate:

512993dbcfd3a03b79795cbf5037876e.jpg

Finished goods:

e0ec60c9936bd54e5fa208c86dca9510.jpg

Edited by Stretched@Birth

Hi Guys

Thanks!

Try www.tools4wood.co.za

Hi Guys

Thanks!

Router. I would look at a Triton, 2nd hand with a table. Bits from hardware Centre.

Orbital sander. Bosch, blue, loads of options. Pick one and price check.

Jigsaw has me stumped as I have an Elu that's 30 years old and still one of the best I've used.

I have 3 routers I use for trimming to a template.

Triton

Makita

Maktec

The triton...just sounds like it is gona fall apart any day now

The makita has been back 3 times under warranty.

The maktec is still strong.

Personally I prefer makita for woodwork jobbing...but the maktec has certain earned it place in my workshop...but once again DIY or to run 8 hours a day

Jigsaw...Bosch would be my first choice...make sure you understand what you require...scroll type cutting...long fast cuts etc...before you outlay the cash...gst 160 bce

Orbital sander...Bosch wins again...but make sure you get the one which peforms the task required...i.e. 6 or 8 inch disc...vibration free...speed control...etc ...Gex 125 -150 ave my choice.

Festool if I could afford it.

Festool if I could afford it.

From my limited experience Festool will leave you underwhelmed and wishing you'd spent your money elsewhere. Also their support here is less than stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my limited experience Festool will leave you underwhelmed and wishing you'd spent your money elsewhere. Also their support here is less than stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few Festools and love them all, but not sure that they are that much better than Bosch Blue / Makita.  Probably will not buy Festool again.

I recently bought a Bosch 150 BCE jigsaw - wow what an upgrade to my previous, 30 year old Black and Decker!   :clap: .  I read a few reviews before deciding on it and most of the reviews rated it much better than the Festool.

For a router, just make sure that you can have both a 1/4 and 1/2 inch collet for safety.  (I have a Makita table mounted router that only have a 1/2 inch collet and I am always a bit nervous when using the sleeve reducer.)  

For basic DIY, the Bosch Green 1400W will suffice.

Have a look at this website:  www.routingwithdenis.co.za/.  Some very good router training - he recommends the Triton for table mounted work and the Bosch for hand-held work.

Also check out www.toolcraft.co.za (Although Cape Town based).  

Not sure what gap you're referring to? There's a slight thickness difference, which is casting a shadow, not a gap. They asked that it's not too "finished".

The sample I was asked to replicate:

512993dbcfd3a03b79795cbf5037876e.jpg

Finished goods:

e0ec60c9936bd54e5fa208c86dca9510.jpg

Is it me or does anyone else see the weird smiling face in that first pic?

Maybe you guys can help me out.

I am looking to add a section ontop of my vibracrete. like these panels above.

Now the material is the important part. I am looking for those pressed plastic boards that look like wood. Or even the complete extension.

Redwood%2Btongue%2Band%2BGroove.jpeg

Something like this

Maybe you guys can help me out.

I am looking to add a section ontop of my vibracrete. like these panels above.

Now the material is the important part. I am looking for those pressed plastic boards that look like wood. Or even the complete extension.

Redwood%2Btongue%2Band%2BGroove.jpeg

Something like this

Decking? should be easy to find.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+decking+south+africa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=9RUbWcONDOqo8wfaioGgCw