Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Exactly this. Hence when you do the bottom do a proper job, maybe give an extra coat or 2

Reflecting on V12's post, I have no clue what influence other weather factors would have. At my dad's place the deck is completely protected against wind, as the boundary wall is about 2m to the one side, house 5m to the other side. Also the deck is +- 30-80cm off the ground, so no massive risk if one plank cracks/perishes. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reflecting on V12's post, I have no clue what influence other weather factors would have. At my dad's place the deck is completely protected against wind, as the boundary wall is about 2m to the one side, house 5m to the other side. Also the deck is +- 30-80cm off the ground, so no massive risk if one plank cracks/perishes. 

That deck is not so critical.... my brothers is about a 30 foot fall - right on the edge of the hill - and the PE west wind hooks under it - so it had to be properly built - few decks have to deal with wind pressure from the bottom trying to throw it over a house - so rotten screw holes were something to be avoided.

Thanks chaps.

The deck is only 500mm of thr ground, but the one end serves as part of on outside shower, which is only used occasionally

As with all decks, it gets hammered by the sun, but being in a walled in space, not so much wind movies around it.

Finished my Saligna deck 5 months ago.

Pre-drilled all the holes, two coats all round before a fixed them into position. It took FOR EVA!

Now i will only do a top coat once a year.

Water drops + direct sunlight = bad news if not prepared and maintained properly.

What helped lekka with saving time with the pre-treatment. I took a PVC gutter with end stops on both ends. (Cut to the max board length) and painted them inside the gutter. This also allows to dip/drench your deck piece.

I was limited to the amount of pieces I could treat per day, as the preservative (wax/oiled based) required sufficient time to dry. After each batch, I emptied the cutter back into the 5l canister.

post-37282-0-45754400-1515667676_thumb.jpg

post-37282-0-91702600-1515667700_thumb.jpg

post-37282-0-02273700-1515667719_thumb.jpg

Finished my Saligna deck 5 months ago.

Pre-drilled all the holes, two coats all round before a fixed them into position. It took FOR EVA!

Now i will only do a top coat once a year.

Water drops + direct sunlight = bad news if not prepared and maintained properly.

What helped lekka with saving time with the pre-treatment. I took a PVC gutter with end stops on both ends. (Cut to the max board length) and painted them inside the gutter. This also allows to dip/drench your deck piece.

I was limited to the amount of pieces I could treat per day, as the preservative (wax/oiled based) required sufficient time to dry. After each batch, I emptied the cutter back into the 5l canister.

maybe consider some transparent (actually more translucent) non slip strip for the ramp when wet....?

maybe consider some transparent (actually more translucent) non slip strip for the ramp when wet....?

Early mornings with cycling shoes is a no go! '

You are correct, i need to put some grip down. Not sure how the "non slip" will influence timber durability over time. Could it trap moisture underneath the tape?

Early mornings with cycling shoes is a no go! '

You are correct, i need to put some grip down. Not sure how the "non slip" will influence timber durability over time. Could it trap moisture underneath the tape?

Mix up some sand, pool filter sand works very well, with resin and apply to every other board. Make sure to mask off areas not required to be painted with resin well. Mix up small batches. Some paint on the resin and spread the sand over before it dries. Try both on some scrap. Edited by Plentipotential

Who can build or know where I can buy a breakfast kitchen nook (Gauteng, Fairland).

Ideally it should blend in with the dark red counter top and cupboards (see pic).

Height of the current counter tops is 93 cm.

If custom I suppose it can be build around the dividing wall - else I'll have a 10 cm gap between the two tops.

Any suggestions re size (width & length) welcome!

post-2515-0-13433100-1515757290_thumb.jpg

post-2515-0-23322600-1515757527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flemish Lion

The next project is progressing well, should be finished in the next week or three:  bedside table for my daughter:

post-50518-0-59069800-1516003520_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity I opened my dust collector to see how full it was - I was blown away to see it was actually overflowing.  I could not believe that I generated that much dust since I finished it in November last year!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160291-post-your-woodwork-here/?p=3225180

post-50518-0-48133400-1516003604_thumb.jpg

Hello all the woodworkers , sorry if this question was covered before , i do not want to read each and every page. Some one made me a beautiful origin pine table , i just want to know this table will be for the sea cottage and it is not treated yet. We are going to use it for a dining table and just to put "wet glasses" on.....what is the best treatment i can give this table. I do not want a shinny finish or something like that. I was thinking of raw linseed or boiled linseed oil?(What is the difference) Is there maybe a kind of wax that i can put on? Thanks in advance !!!