Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnVDl6Y6u4

The above video shows how to make a tap and die for making wooden threads.

Im going to go out on a limb here before clicking the link and guess that is Pask's video...

*edit* Winner winner chicken dinner!

Been watching his videos for a really long time, Neil can make just about anything with bits he has on hand.

Edited by Rocket-Boy

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about using a scaffolding leveling jack as the vice screw and attach the nut thingy that comes with it to the back of the leg for the for the screw to screw in.  I am just worried that this setup will have to much pay because the leveling jack and nut thingy feels really loose.

Anybody that have tried this before?

Its very common in the states to use a leveling screw for a leg vise. Plenty of videos on youtube about making one.

seems like such an obvious idea, to include a scale with the offset already accounted for.

you see the latest ep with Gaston, and that 5m folding ruler?  ^_^

I commented that Gaston could probably sell me anything in that first vid. The oke is a legend.

If you watch a few more of Scotts videos his plumber mate is a saffer.

I commented that Gaston could probably sell me anything in that first vid. The oke is a legend.

If you watch a few more of Scotts videos his plumber mate is a saffer.

I thought I picked up an accent!

• 3 weeks later...

My dad decided I needed a mitre saw after I shared my jigsaw bevel cut struggles with him. I came home after work to this package last week.

fa85850bb76795cc91406f8c4499c76f.jpg

I'm not sure whether it's because we are spending a lot of time together in my workshop lately or because he is tired of me asking him to bring his mitre saw from gansbaai every second week, but I am thankful.

The first fun little project was a cellphone stand that I made for him from some scrap wood I had. I'm not sure what I enjoyed the most, trying out a new toy or trying work out the different angles to be cut using long forgotten high school geometry.

That's him and my daughter on the pic.

22cecd4c42adcfb513bbb6d9d3035532.jpg

Next up: hexagon wall boxes and a floating shelf for the coffee station.

My dad decided I needed a mitre saw after I shared my jigsaw bevel cut struggles with him. I came home after work to this package last week.

fa85850bb76795cc91406f8c4499c76f.jpg

I'm not sure whether it's because we are spending a lot of time together in my workshop lately or because he is tired of me asking him to bring his mitre saw from gansbaai every second week, but I am thankful.

The first fun little project was a cellphone stand that I made for him from some scrap wood I had. I'm not sure what I enjoyed the most, trying out a new toy or trying work out the different angles to be cut using long forgotten high school geometry.

That's him and my daughter on the pic.

22cecd4c42adcfb513bbb6d9d3035532.jpg

Next up: hexagon wall boxes and a floating shelf for the coffee station.

Two gifts in one. ... a dad to share memories with and a awesome miter saw!

Fellows

Are those Kreg pockethole joinery jigs any good? It looks a bit plasticy.

Yes they are good and the system works well

But - it is an expensive system and you basically have to use their screws - expensive.

Not that great in plywood - chipboard and mdf.

All the rage. (good marketing)

seems like such an obvious idea, to include a scale with the offset already accounted for.

you see the latest ep with Gaston, and that 5m folding ruler?  ^_^

Haha, I had no idea that people in SA watched "Hi, Scott Brown here!"

He's a pretty nice guy it seems. Chef Pareau is also hilarious!

Fellows

Are those Kreg pockethole joinery jigs any good? It looks a bit plasticy.

It's decent quality plastics. It won't just break on you if you don't abuse it.

Depending on what you want to do, it's pretty useful. I only use it strategically to hide screws in cupboard installations. It works great with drawers to hide screws on butt joints, especially when you use under mount sliders.

It's a bit more effort to clamp and screw together as panels tend move more whilst driving in screws. Suppose those special clamps will help a lot though, but I only have the standard clamp that came with the K5 jig, as well as those corner clamps which actually works surprisingly well.

You can buy cheaper bits and screws from Hardware center - think the brand is Milescraft.

There are also other brands out there that seems to be better quality than Kreg - check on Amazon/Axminster - although shipping is too expensive now. 

it may also be simpler to make one yourself with some cutoff stock and steel tubing. 

Jip, lots of Youtube videos showing how to do it. Just need a decent cutoff saw to get the angles right.

I bought mine off of bidorbuy. It really works well but has its limitations, like joining smaller boxes where the drill and screw don't fit into the space. But then you can do outer pocketholes and plug the holes with dowels.

The new Single Dad Small Spaces Sleeping Solution. Built it to hold me on the top bunk, this is the prototype and I plan to build some for ppl who want a more modern and stronger bunk that doesn't break the bank.

Second pic. Not woodwork, but another project. Copper and LED. 3280434f1e66ac3a39f6257cddec1e3b.jpg93b981a38745987b6cf437449b7c2b15.jpg

Good job. That looks awesome. How do you climb up there?

More importantly, Where did you get that duvet cover??????? The one with planes on.