Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you shape the glass or did the supplier?

No, i tried free hand on 3mm and decided against it.

I used a local glass company to cut a template out of 2 x 3mm pieces as a standard sheet is 2.4m in length, and the table is 3m.

Tracing the outline on the glass template eliminated a lot of guess work to have it run parallel to the live edge.

They then used the 3mm template to cut a 6mm sheet (I think that is 3.2m in length)

Note to self, dont use flitches/slabs longer than 3m, unless you want to sell a kidney to buy glass in full length options

post-37282-0-37378700-1599556086_thumb.jpg

I used a local glass company to cut a template out of 2 x 3mm pieces as a standard sheet is 2.4m in length, and the table is 3m.

Tracing the outline on the glass template eliminated a lot of guess work to have it run parallel to the live edge.

They then used the 3mm template to cut a 6mm sheet (I think that is 3.2m in length)

Note to self, dont use flitches/slabs longer than 3m, unless you want to sell a kidney to buy glass in full length options

all things considered, 2K for the material and labour is a decent price.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this was asked previously, but it doesn't seem like a sufficient answer was ever found.

I'm in the market for a table saw, but the feeling I'm getting is that any Ryobi "low end" stuff is not worth the time, and then there's a huge void of nothing, and then really expensive machines.

Does anything exist around the R5K mark at all? I'm not in a hurry so I'm constantly checking Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace, but I've not seen anything at all.

You don't say if you did, but I would get that 6mm piece of glass 'toughened'.  Basically sent through a furnace at a few thousand degrees (or something like that).  

Two benefits:  it makes the glass, err uhh, tougher :-)

And, should it break, it will shatter into tiny pieces, as opposed to long shards that could slice some ones arm off...  Much like a car windshield shatters for the same reason... 

The actual process will only cost a around R200 for that size.  (What your glass supplier will charge you to send it away and collect is a different number altogether).

I know this was asked previously, but it doesn't seem like a sufficient answer was ever found.

I'm in the market for a table saw, but the feeling I'm getting is that any Ryobi "low end" stuff is not worth the time, and then there's a huge void of nothing, and then really expensive machines.

Does anything exist around the R5K mark at all? I'm not in a hurry so I'm constantly checking Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace, but I've not seen anything at all.

Hi Bertusras, 

I am not sure that you will easily find anything decent at R 5 k, but around c R 8k - R 10 k you should be able to find something like a Martlett contractor type saw.

Something like this:

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-power-tools/edenvale/250mm-professional-tilting-arbor-table-saw/1002226596690911166524309

I have an option you should look at. If you are interested I will refer you to someone in Glen Austin who can demonstrate the units capabilities. PM me if you want his details.

I would personally look for an old school Rockwell delta saws - they regularly pop up for a few thousand. They're old, but solid machines and generally not too much can go wrong that can't be fixed like bearings, belts etc. Just try to find one that's complete with its fence etc. and when testing, let the motor run for a while and make sure it doesn't get hot, and with a new quality blade you should be good to go.

I won't get excited over the new stuff in that price range, avoid Ryobi and all these chinese branded stuff. Job site saws are ok, and better than nothing, but are rather limited - most won't be able to run dado stacks.

Might need to put scratching this itch on hold for a while - it's not like I've even got the space for a table saw at the moment...

So bearing in mind that I know the SA market is different from here in NZ, and I'm also not sure what type of table saw you're looking for (jobsite, cabinet, hybrid, etc), my input may not be very helpful, but here are some of the things I looked at when deciding which saw to save for (yes, I have yet to buy).

• Type: I have a single garage housing 2 dirt bikes, 2 bicycles, and a fair amount of tools, parts, and building materials. So space is VERY limited. This meant that a jobsite saw is about my only viable option. Something compact that can be wheeled out of the confined space, and be folded up and packed away after.
  • Power supply: While I am a big fan of cordless tools, and slightly regret not getting the cordless versions of my router, track saw, and mitre saw, the number of battery platforms one needs to subscribe to in order to get the best value-for-money and variety of tool is prohibitive. So because I'm not taking the jobsite saw to actual job sites with limited power supply etc, and because I didn't want to invest in ANOTHER battery platform, I decided corded.
  • Specifications: These are largely limited by the type of table saw chosen. But even then and considering jobsite saws), things like cut depth, extendable tables, and power differs from brand to brand and model to model. Having a track saw means I don't need a huge cutting capacity on the table saw for ripping down sheet goods. The plan for these is to rip down on the track saw then do finishing cuts on the table saw. However, track saws have a fairly limited plunge depth, so this is something I may consider. Overall though, the specs between the different options weren't wildly different, so these weren't a deciding factor.
  • Accuracy & Precision: This is is a hard one to gauge without trying all of them, but there was one main area I considered. The fence. I looked at a few of the Makita models (MLT100N mainly), and the thing I didn't like is that the fence doesn't clamp at both ends. So if one pushes a work piece firmly against the fence it may shift the outfeed end of the fence around 5mm. This will compromise accuracy also lead to imprecise results. I then looked at a few others that either clamp the fence at both ends, thus increasing precision, but not necessarily accuracy, as there is still play between the front and back end. Then there were the rack-and-pinion type fences which ensure that the front and back of the fence move and clamp uniformly. These should give the most accurate and precise results, as can be expected from a jobsite table saw.
  • Features: These were the things I considered over and above the saws ability to chop wood. The 2 main ones I looked at were: the ability to accept a dado-stack (as mentioned not all jobsite saws do), and the type/dimensions of the mitre slots. The mitre slot details are important if one wants to make/buy/use jigs. Some saws (like the Makita) have mitre slots specific to them, whereas others have universal standard slots, opening up the aftermarket jig possibilities.

So considering all the above, and the budget I had in mind, this is what I'm saving towards:

240386xlg.jpg

Dewalt DW7491-XE

• Jobsite, compact, robust and portable (27kg)
  • 250mm blade and 2000W motor, so decent cutting capacity.
  • Rack-and-pinion fence
  • Accepts dado stacks
  • Universal mitre slots
  • Well known brand with loads of aftermarket accessories available (from wheelie stands to bespoke jigs).

So yeah, hopefully there are some helpful insights from my decision considerations that may help you find a saw that suits your needs. Let us know what you settle on!

I am in the same quandery. I am unwilling to toss good cash at bad tools such as the entry level Ryobi "saws". A good DeWalt is around 20k and a bad Ryobi is around 3.5k

For this reason I am considering building my own home tablesaw using a good circular saw as a base and then slowly save up to replace it with a much better tool if the need ever arises. My thinking in this regard is to see if the bug is truly biting or if I am just acting on a whim at present.

I am considering something in the lines of the what John Heisz has on his website which you can access here:

https://ibuildit.ca/projects/making-a-table-saw/

post-103677-0-62977900-1601449574_thumb.jpg

I am in the same quandery. I am unwilling to toss good cash at bad tools such as the entry level Ryobi "saws". A good DeWalt is around 20k and a bad Ryobi is around 3.5k

For this reason I am considering building my own home tablesaw using a good circular saw as a base and then slowly save up to replace it with a much better tool if the need ever arises. My thinking in this regard is to see if the bug is truly biting or if I am just acting on a whim at present.

I am considering something in the lines of the what John Heisz has on his website which you can access here:

homemade-table-saw-50.jpg

Yeah, I'm also thinking of that, when I get power to my garage (or my new place, whenever that is) to hold my Makita 5903R. I have a small Bosch 165mm circular that gets taken everywhere cos it's just so much easier to use, on the go.

attachicon.gifhomemade-table-saw-50.jpg

If you don't already have a decent large circular saw laying around, quality plywood (you don't want to use anything less than birch ply - our other local pine- or shutter ply is crap) and other materials, building a decent saw like that will probably cost at least twice as what a cheap entry level saw would, and then you're still left with the other big factor - can you successfully and accurately make such a saw that will offer the precision you require. 

The only time I'd consider a home built table saw if I've limited space and building it into a workbench of some sorts. And then I'd opt for one of these Triton modules if you can still find one around;

0008725.jpeg

This one is also not too bad for occasional diy jobs;

https://www.paoson.com/en/shop-woodworking-homemade-tools-furniture-plans/49-homemade-portable-workshop-plans.html