[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

What are the chances of a sub3 in this conditions? Starting from the front groups

Even in very windy conditions you can expect about 450-500 sub 3s.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode chappies from slanghoek after watching my daughter finish her first 10k run. Wind was moderate thus morning and coming round some of those corners felt hard and it wasn't even pumping.

Most dangerous thing on the road? The cyclist weaving across the lane on the descent into hout bay on his cell phone! Responds with aggression in true Saffa style upon being told that what he's doing is dangerous.

What are the chances of a sub3 in this conditions? Starting from the front groups

Important not to loose the group on a climb or descent. As long as you can stick with the front 1/3rd of the group you should be fine.

Question, in the event the weather forecast of lots of wind remain. If you know of someone that is only semi comfortable on a road bike and more at ease with a MTB, is it best to rather suggest they do the race on a MTB with slicks?

Question, in the event the weather forecast of lots of wind remain. If you know of someone that is only semi comfortable on a road bike and more at ease with a MTB, is it best to rather suggest they do the race on a MTB with slicks?

It really depends, sometimes with the wind having a broomstick for a handle bar does not help in the groups going under civic center and through the narrow sea side roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends, sometimes with the wind having a broomstick (with horns) for a handle bar does not help in the groups going under civic center and through the narrow sea side roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:devil: just had to add a description 

Generally, I would say ride the bike you are most comfortable with and will feel the safest riding in adverse conditions. Even if it will take longer because it will make you slower with greater rolling and wind resistance of the mtb.

(I have one riding buddy who is an absolute master on the mtb, and I mean he is really skillful on the roughest trails and on big jumps and drops, but he refuses to ride a road bike. He borrowed one of mine once and afterwards said it was the scariest thing he ever rode (I gave him my Litespeed, so it wasn't a dodgy bike).

Generally, I would say ride the bike you are most comfortable with and will feel the safest riding in adverse conditions. Even if it will take longer because it will make you slower with greater rolling and wind resistance of the mtb.

(I have one riding buddy who is an absolute master on the mtb, and I mean he is really skillful on the roughest trails and on big jumps and drops, but he refuses to ride a road bike. He borrowed one of mine once and afterwards said it was the scariest thing he ever rode (I gave him my Litespeed, so it wasn't a dodgy bike).

Thanks, sort of thought that might be the best suggestion, rather feel safer in the wind than the extra help by being lighter 

Windguru and YR not seeing eye to eye on wind strength and direction, however it seems clear that it won't be hot...

post-27827-0-81181000-1488779700_thumb.png

post-27827-0-31686800-1488779701.png

Windguru and YR not seeing eye to eye on wind strength and direction, however it seems clear that it won't be hot...

Just to clarify, YR lists windspeed in m/s and Windguru in Knots.

To simplify:

WindGuru - 29.6km/h with gusts of up to 41km/h SSE

YR - 21km/h W?

Did a nice long one after the bikefit. Yes Yes I know I'm stupid. Knee pain is still there but MUCH less. Rode from Greenpoint-Atlantic seaboard-Simontown-reserve-ocean view & back.

LLLLLLOOOOTTTTTSSSSSSSS of weavers on the road. Coming up Victoria past the hotel. 2 weavers weaved into each other and one went down. I'm actually looking forward to the roads being a little less manic after this weekend. There's a lot of people out there who have zero idea what they are doing.

Would be useful to indicate where this is at at Cape Point the picture is very different.

Did a nice long one after the bikefit. Yes Yes I know I'm stupid. Knee pain is still there but MUCH less. Rode from Greenpoint-Atlantic seaboard-Simontown-reserve-ocean view & back.

LLLLLLOOOOTTTTTSSSSSSSS of weavers on the road. Coming up Victoria past the hotel. 2 weavers weaved into each other and one went down. I'm actually looking forward to the roads being a little less manic after this weekend. There's a lot of people out there who have zero idea what they are doing.

Thankful for my early seeding, because said weavers will be all over the road later on Sunday. 

I once rode the 947 after the corporate batches and the following year in one of the early batches. It was like two totally different events. You cannot risk going down a descent at relative speed in an event with weavers all over the place,  that is just looking for a hospital stay...

Mr Argust Ambassador.

If we point them to this thread, maybe you can get a free entry for next year. Then again it might snow on argust day if they did that.