[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Perceptions of Johnny Foreigner ...... that's me.

I live overseas and am one of those who travelled a stupidly long way to take part in the race, and would probably be classified as a late finisher around the 4h 30min mark judging by last year, which was then my only time taking part.

FWIW this is what it has cost me approximately;

1,150 entry fee

30,480 air fares

9,405 hotel bill

1,900 car hire

800 transfers etc

2,000 Food & drink

Total 45,700 ZAR approx

Do I want my money back ? - No, none of it. But do I want an entry for next year - absolutely. And will I enter again ? Yes but begrudgingly and never again if I have to go in the public ballot. If I didn't get in next year I wouldn't enter again as there are better organised and more reasonable T&C's for other big events. And that's just shy of 50,000ZAR which the country would never see.

Until now I had sung the praises of the event with my cycling colleagues encouraging them to attend and so far one did - this year and boy will she be annoyed when I see her.

Would I recommend the race to others - yes, but with heavy health warnings about it becoming politically susceptible to protestors, with it being started in a stupid place and with it being at the wrong time of year. Most people, especially western softy European types like me will not want to be anywhere near a political protest in South Africa so you'll lose a lot of good will if those are not resolved.

I cannot judge whether it was the weather or other reasons that caused the cancellation as I understand none of the politics here, and barely some of the locations quoted. What I can do is tell you how the people spending the most money to get into the country feel about their treatment. Nobody wants to ride outside their capabilities so the cancellation brought some small relief given it was going to be a very long day otherwise. What I didn't like, regardless of the Terms and Cinditions was the brusque attitude to taking the money and run, without even considering deferrals. To me that says the bottom line is the only thing that matters to the organisers. Their reputation is trashed in my view, even if the event isn't. In Europe or the USA a class action suit would have been under way by now as the organisers knew the problems of the start line, and clearly had no contingency for much else. The weather is uncontrollable which is why major events take out insurance - which this event appears to not, given weather is almost guaranteed to cause some issues judging by people's comments.

And as to the luvvies trying to stop people complaining because of the terrible fire, the two events are utterly unrelated. Those affected need help and need it quickly - irrespective of the weather and whether the race was running or not.

Finally I just checked the T&C's of the London Prudential RideLondon 100 - cancellation by the organisers results in a fee refund in total. That's what a professional organisation does - it takes out insurance.

If the CTCC want to remain a Premier level event they are going to have to do things a little differently in my opinion because lots of travellers are going to give the CTCC a good hard look next time rather than just jumping in.

Thats a massive bill ... And very good point on insurance.. did not think about that.

Of course for someone like yourself, the refund would be miniscule as its only the entry fee BUT the guaranteed entry would also be a nice reward then.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@two wheels good,

Out of your total spending, just a tiny bit was the entry fee. Do you really think a refund of 1000zar would make you feel less frustrated?

As for the guaranteed entree: as an international, there!s no problem to get a place and I think a lot of internationals can't make it every year

Edited by Belgian biker

@two wheels good,

Out of your total spending, just a tiny bit was the entry fee. Do you really think a refund of 1000zar would make you feel less frustrated?

As for the guaranteed entree: as an international, there!s no problem to get a place and I think a lot of internationals can't make it every year

I believe I said at the start of my post, I did not want my money back. But I didn't spend 48kZAR to come here on holiday and see the sights. Without a bike race that has a good chance of running means I take my money on holiday somewhere else. I could go to London again and know that if the route were disabled by a public protest, I could at least know I was in the race the following year. It's the attitude of the organisers that matters - not the money.

I hoped for a deferral because that shows the organisers are well, organised, and recognise their responsibility to insure against these events. Their attitude does not encourage risking another 50k ZAR to find another political problem, or fire, or wind or anything else a professional organiser would mitigate against, has stopped the race.

You guys have already suggested what any semi- competent organiser should do. Move the date, move the start and move the route away from areas where trouble might kick off. It's not rocket science for event organisers who plan ahead - it sounds like the current team have not adapted their thinking to the new reality here.

And take out weather insurance so cancellation means anyone who got in, can get in and the organisers still get paid.

I believe I said at the start of my post, I did not want my money back. But I didn't spend 48kZAR to come here on holiday and see the sights. Without a bike race that has a good chance of running means I take my money on holiday somewhere else. I could go to London again and know that if the route were disabled by a public protest, I could at least know I was in the race the following year. It's the attitude of the organisers that matters - not the money.

I hoped for a deferral because that shows the organisers are well, organised, and recognise their responsibility to insure against these events. Their attitude does not encourage risking another 50k ZAR to find another political problem, or fire, or wind or anything else a professional organiser would mitigate against, has stopped the race.

You guys have already suggested what any semi- competent organiser should do. Move the date, move the start and move the route away from areas where trouble might kick off. It's not rocket science for event organisers who plan ahead - it sounds like the current team have not adapted their thinking to the new reality here.

And take out weather insurance so cancellation means anyone who got in, can get in and the organisers still get paid.

Agree with your sentiments 100%. Today the CTCC showed that they are inept and like most South African companies will save a few bucks ( by not taking insurance out for example) because that's how we roll here. Excuse the pun.

I lived in the U.K. for a long time and now live in JHB. My first race was the shortened 49km CTCT. Their immediate reaction today to say no refunds or even consider othen options means that I will never apply for this race again. With some international friends who are also down here from the UK - they will think very hard about coming here next year for a race. They came here specifically for the race with a holiday on the side ... the holiday part is not ruined but the race organisers actions and the fact that it is the second race in three years to be affected by weather means they will spend their hard earned pounds in another country. That is South Africa's loss.

The organizers are hell bent are sticking to the same route though and that's the main issue. After the shortened route of two years back you would think they'd be better prepared with a contingency plan in place. It's actually ridiculous that they failed in this aspect again. Everyone knew about the protests well in advance. The fact the organisers decided to chance it is disappointing.

And I definitely do think the event should be moved either a month earlier or a month later or the race moved to a Saturday with the Sunday being used as a contingency plan.

There is a lot of selfishness on this thread. Maybe I should go dust off my violin.

I have tried a number of times to formulate a reply that can frame it all and have deleted it.

Sad day when the hub turns inward and finds a selfish lout of a kid as its soul.

Perceptions of Johnny Foreigner ...... that's me.

I live overseas and am one of those who travelled a stupidly long way to take part in the race, and would probably be classified as a late finisher around the 4h 30min mark judging by last year, which was then my only time taking part.

FWIW this is what it has cost me approximately;

1,150 entry fee

30,480 air fares

9,405 hotel bill

1,900 car hire

800 transfers etc

2,000 Food & drink

Total 45,700 ZAR approx

Do I want my money back ? - No, none of it. But do I want an entry for next year - absolutely. And will I enter again ? Yes but begrudgingly and never again if I have to go in the public ballot. If I didn't get in next year I wouldn't enter again as there are better organised and more reasonable T&C's for other big events. And that's just shy of 50,000ZAR which the country would never see.

Until now I had sung the praises of the event with my cycling colleagues encouraging them to attend and so far one did - this year and boy will she be annoyed when I see her.

Would I recommend the race to others - yes, but with heavy health warnings about it becoming politically susceptible to protestors, with it being started in a stupid place and with it being at the wrong time of year. Most people, especially western softy European types like me will not want to be anywhere near a political protest in South Africa so you'll lose a lot of good will if those are not resolved.

I cannot judge whether it was the weather or other reasons that caused the cancellation as I understand none of the politics here, and barely some of the locations quoted. What I can do is tell you how the people spending the most money to get into the country feel about their treatment. Nobody wants to ride outside their capabilities so the cancellation brought some small relief given it was going to be a very long day otherwise. What I didn't like, regardless of the Terms and Cinditions was the brusque attitude to taking the money and run, without even considering deferrals. To me that says the bottom line is the only thing that matters to the organisers. Their reputation is trashed in my view, even if the event isn't. In Europe or the USA a class action suit would have been under way by now as the organisers knew the problems of the start line, and clearly had no contingency for much else. The weather is uncontrollable which is why major events take out insurance - which this event appears to not, given weather is almost guaranteed to cause some issues judging by people's comments.

And as to the luvvies trying to stop people complaining because of the terrible fire, the two events are utterly unrelated. Those affected need help and need it quickly - irrespective of the weather and whether the race was running or not.

Finally I just checked the T&C's of the London Prudential RideLondon 100 - cancellation by the organisers results in a fee refund in total. That's what a professional organisation does - it takes out insurance.

If the CTCC want to remain a Premier level event they are going to have to do things a little differently in my opinion because lots of travellers are going to give the CTCC a good hard look next time rather than just jumping in.

JF, excellent points you make and have raised, and hopefully the organisers are taking note. 

The one point though, about the race being the wrong time of year is a difficult one to want to agree with. 2 out of 40 badly wind affected races in a windy city is not bad. As many others have said, the days leading up to the 12th were great. Its the luck of the weather draw, and would be true for any month of the year.

I used to sail and surfski as my main sports, both wind affected, so became a bit of a wind watcher, learning which areas of the Cape were least affected in which wind. The months with the least wind affected week ends were February, March and April. September, October, November and January the most risky.

There is a lot of selfishness on this thread. Maybe I should go dust off my violin.

Again, purely my perceptions but there is too much 'virtue signalling' going on here.

The fire, its terrible consequences, the political protest and the race are all different things, but it's clear that there are those who are trying to link them all to justify their own ends.

If the race had not been on, and the fire occurred, the needs of those affected would be no different and those people need everyone's support. Damaging the road and trying to wreck the race will not help your cause in the long term, not will taking entrance fees and saying 'tough luck'. You'll be wondering where all those jobs go to when 35,000 entrants plus 70,000 family members don't turn up any more.

We have decided to shift our focus to next weekend and make the Montague based Eroica South Africa our funride for autumn. If anyone is in need of a little lightening up to get over his CTCT blues, I recommend this race. Last year was a blast. Choose your poison, 50, 90 or 140 km. Old bikes, gravel roads, passionate people. Steal, borrow or buy an old classic bike and come along. Eroica extended its entries until tomorrow to accommodate late entries. Here is the link.

https://eroicasouthafrica.com/

Edited by DJR

Saw videos and looks like a lot of cyclists struggled to get through the tunnel at the start. Many just parking off against walls to shelter. Too many inexperienced riders would have struggled immensely, pulling up and just standing in the middle of the road because they were tired. That is also not to mention the "bone yard" quoted by someone else when a peloton goes down due to a stoopid mistake by someone near the front. Have not been able to ride the last 3 events, but would like to do it again. Not sure a blanket moratorium on new entries (due to carry over of "free" entries) to the next year is the way to go as this will mean a virtually zero chance of any new rider getting an entry.

What was the protest about?  Does anybody know?  Seems more like a political move to sabotage an event?

Back in the office today and reflecting on a really awesome weekend - without an official Argus finish...

About the weather. I did the race in 2009 and yesterday a couple of us cycled backwards on the route up to the top of Chappies. As a direct comparison I honestly feel that the wind was worse than in 2009. Most people turned around before the booms because it was just that bad. I was on a MTB and around some of the corners it was impossible to stay on one side of the road - I was almost blown off the side and at one stage it literally felt like the bike was going to lift up. I saw people sitting flat holding on to their bike's top tubes with the bikes flailing in the wind. Personally I think it would have been reckless for organisers to expect bunches to go through there as the gusts would have resulted in many accidents. I would not have attempted cycling there in a bunch - I've never experienced anything like that (even in 2009).

With respect to the protesters I'm just going to say that myself (like most people) are fed up with the lawlessness and lack of action by authorities, and we cannot continue to allow this sort of behavior. For one we cannot afford it. I do, however, not believe that it resulted in the race being cancelled - although it might have contributed.

Regarding the weekend and can honestly say that it was one of the most fun-filled times of my life. We got to go to the expo, had lunch in a very nice local tavern in the city center, enjoyed the awesome trails at Meerendal and cycled around Blouberg, Melkbos, Koeberg and the beach front on the day before the race. On race day I got to cycle into the city and then from the finish back on the route. For the first time we went down into Llandudno where there was this big skateboard party going on (as there apparently is every year at the same time as the Argus). I also got to go up Champan's Peak on a really windy day!

I understand that a lot of people had very different intentions regarding the race, but one of my friends commented on the way back that we would not have gone down on Wednesday evening if we knew there was going to be no race and maybe just maybe we should do it more often...

It would be so nice if all the Naysayer actually go sit in the JOC (Join operation center) one day when one of the countless meetings takes place sorting out all the nigley nonsense for this funride. 

People forget that every little thing must be discusses, approved, orderered, installed and returned. From the name boards to the napkins (size, color, single, double, recyclable etc) at the end.  To simply "move" a event aint a overnight thing.

Just the IT side is many months as new high sites for connectivity must be installed, tested and retested. (not to mention trying to get telkom to get stuff done in few months). Took us more than year to get just the medical aid stations to have enough connectivity on the day so that real time medical data can be obtained. (Temporary vodacom towers eveywhere) .  Now add other things like generators, golf carts, tents, chairs, fencing security etc etc.

I would guess, it will be  2 - 3 years for things to change, if they change.  But for now, lets just hope that we can do this funride again next year.