Bike Hub Features

Ankle socks... I have always worn ankle socks. To work, on the road, on the mtb. Up until 18 months ago no one cared as they enjoyed my company . 

The same people now will say 'you can't ride on the road with those..' as well as pretend not to know me when other more hip cyclists enter the fray.

Quoting and following rules that were written as pure Irony ups their stakes to level 7 gazillion. Irony.

This sock doping thing is out of hand. One must remember that cocaine was fashionable in the '80's as well. Doesn't make it acceptable.... 

When i started reading this thread (now now...for the first time) i thought oh sheeet i'm going to be the only one who thinks like this...so thank you

Cycling (generalisation alert) seems to have developed into a "check me out" sport where people think keeping up with the Joneses is what its all about.... long live campag leg warmers and short Falke ankle socks....  

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i started reading this thread (now now...for the first time) i thought oh sheeet i'm going to be the only one who thinks like this...so thank you

Cycling (generalisation alert) seems to have developed into a "check me out" sport where people think keeping up with the Joneses is what its all about.... long live campag leg warmers and short Falke ankle socks....  

I find this all quite sad. That brawny South African men can be told to wear cheesy offices socks by some overseas marketing dept and they all blindly follow - "that's what the fashionistas say, so we got to do it". When did this happen?  I suppose it is the new generation who get told what to wear by GQ etc. Blindly following what is 'in'.

I also ride with ankle socks, the thick falke ones, I have for the last 15 years and will continue to do so. They comfortable and don't get full of grass seeds while mtbing.

This colorful office sock vibe will pass. The marketing depts will have something different next year so they can sell you something new and these muppets without a backbone will follow..

I find this all quite sad. That brawny South African men can be told to wear cheesy offices socks by some overseas marketing dept and they all blindly follow - "that's what the fashionistas say, so we got to do it". When did this happen?  I suppose it is the new generation who get told what to wear by GQ etc. Blindly following what is 'in'.

I also ride with ankle socks, the thick falke ones, I have for the last 15 years and will continue to do so. They comfortable and don't get full of grass seeds while mtbing.

This colorful office sock vibe will pass. The marketing depts will have something different next year so they can sell you something new and these muppets without a backbone will follow..

This post is sad. You clearly don't understand.

You do you. I'm going to do me.

Happy Friday :clap:

Ah, the old days when cyclists had style. And fashion sense.

Imagine these guys wearing half watermelons or star wars patterns on their socks.

Exactly Google Merkx, La Mond, Pantani, really cycling legends, there is not an office sock in sight.

This post is sad. You clearly don't understand.

You do you. I'm going to do me.

Happy Friday :clap:

To you too bru.

A bit of a circular argument. I don't have an issue with fashionistas, just don't try get the rest of us to follow suit.

Ah, the old days when cyclists had style. And fashion sense.

Imagine these guys wearing half watermelons or star wars patterns on their socks.

These guys wore whatever their sponsors told them to wear. If Banesto told them to wear jelly beans with stawberries they would have done so. It just so happens they were too busy with doping and not sock doping....

Exactly Google Merkx, La Mond, Pantani, really cycling legends, there is not an office sock in sight.

Ullrich, Hinault, Coppi and Anquetil?

BTW it's LeMond and Merckx.

But then again, this is SA and Specialized has a huge market share. Proves common sense and cycling are mutually exclusive for large chunks of bike riders.

Edit: added correct spelling of the GOAT, as the septics would call Eddy.

Edited by carbon29er

These guys wore whatever their sponsors told them to wear. If Banesto told them to wear jelly beans with stawberries they would have done so. It just so happens they were too busy with doping and not sock doping....

You honestly think a sponsor would dare tell Eddy Merckx what to wear if he wasn't cool with it?

I think the point is, sponsors then didn't ask riders to wear stuff that is so against any common sense.

Even today where the teams are far more likely to take cash to promote bad taste we don't see silly socks in pro racing. We just see them on the poseurs chasing Strava segments.

You honestly think a sponsor would dare tell Eddy Merckx what to wear if he wasn't cool with it?

I think the point is, sponsors then didn't ask riders to wear stuff that is so against any common sense.

Even today where the teams are far more likely to take cash to promote bad taste we don't see silly socks in pro racing. We just see them on the poseurs chasing Strava segments.

I hate these Strava chasing poseurs the most!

post-11806-0-13212400-1485502031_thumb.jpg

So thats a sponsor telling a multiple world champ, a winner of multiple stage races to wear silly socks.

Money Talks

Once a year Varsity college run a trail ride at Central Trails at Modderfontein in Jhb.

If you among the 1 st 500 odd to register you get a free pair of Varsity College socks on race day. (and yes I understand nothing is free)

I have no clue who makes them. But they a very very comfortable sock

But I enter myself and wife and 2 sons, pay the entry fee, and then take the socks and keep them myself.

If I pay entry I keep socks. If they want socks they must pay for entry.

That is my yearly sock plan.

Don't knock it till you have tried it.

Once a year Varsity college run a trail ride at Central Trails at Modderfontein in Jhb.

If you among the 1 st 500 odd to register you get a free pair of Varsity College socks on race day. (and yes I understand nothing is free)

I have no clue who makes them. But they a very very comfortable sock

But I enter myself and wife and 2 sons, pay the entry fee, and then take the socks and keep them myself.

If I pay entry I keep socks. If they want socks they must pay for entry.

That is my yearly sock plan.

Don't knock it till you have tried it.

When is this happening?

Short or long socks; expensive or cheap socks... The debate will go on forever...

I personally feel that I would rather spend money on my bike than on socks, so Ackermans/Jet/Woolies/Mr Price will do it for me thanks. I however like simpler designs, and above all, I like my socks long. But, not everybody does-for various reasons.

Dissing a guy because he is wearing short socks or wearing long socks just 'to look pro' in my opinion is just meh

Wear whatever the hell you like for the reasons you do, and stop making useless arguments about the 'importance' of sock length. Sock length is a fashion thing, so you either like long or short socks. Period. Each person has a very different view on fashion, so for crying out loud, just let each person wear whatever the heck they like. Please!

Short or long socks; expensive or cheap socks... The debate will go on forever...

I personally feel that I would rather spend money on my bike than on socks, so Ackermans/Jet/Woolies/Mr Price will do it for me thanks. I however like simpler designs, and above all, I like my socks long. But, not everybody does-for various reasons.

Dissing a guy because he is wearing short socks or wearing long socks just 'to look pro' in my opinion is just meh

Wear whatever the hell you like for the reasons you do, and stop making useless arguments about the 'importance' of sock length. Sock length is a fashion thing, so you either like long or short socks. Period. Each person has a very different view on fashion, so for crying out loud, just let each person wear whatever the heck they like. Please!

Probably the nicest thing you have said on the hub :)

Agree though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Versus socks for the win. The extra 60 or 70 bucks I spend (difference between Versus 110 ront to 50ront Falke or pep stores or whatever) compared to the utility and enjoyment I get from Versus is cheap, damn cheap and when one analyses this on a "per wear" basis it might equate to a few cents per ride or whatever. Cheapest upgrade I have ever done and comfortable feet = happy feet.

Try em, you will be surprised.

400 bucks for a pair of socks , well I kinda baulk tat that.

I'm sure Cippo wore zebra Lycra as he just wanted to be different then.

I'm sure Cippo wore zebra Lycra as he just wanted to be different then.

I think the point being made a bit earlier was that now everyone thinks they are Cippo  ;) 

Everyone to their own though - it's a free world after all. (Inserts Trump clause: For now at least  :ph34r: )

PS: My absolute best at the moment is all the retro/hipster/anti-establishment guys are so common now... that they are mainstream  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: