Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

On 1/16/2022 at 7:45 PM, 'Dale said:

The biggest trouble that comes with e-bikes is ‘ battery range anxiety’ 😩

I think I've posted here previously as to why I got an ebike... If not, I always said that when my medial bills from cycling exceed R500k, then I'll get one, I got past that number last September...

I must admit, that range anxiety is one of the things that is top of my mind... So, probably contrary to most with ebikes, I spend a lot of time riding with the motor switched off... Just to make sure I always have battery when I need it!! So I am getting a pretty good workout every time I hit the roaf.

And as per Hairy, it has all the metrics, can upload routes, etc, so it can basically be described as a glorified spinning bike that takes you places..

And I must admit, ebikes make you remember why you started riding in the first place, they are absolute fun.

Tomorrow I'll be heading over the mountain to work, will spend an hour mucking about; the exact same time it usually takes me in my van to drive the 10 kays to town..

Tom

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Tatt said:

I think I've posted here previously as to why I got an ebike... If not, I always said that when my medial bills from cycling exceed R500k, then I'll get one, I got past that number last September...

I must admit, that range anxiety is one of the things that is top of my mind... So, probably contrary to most with ebikes, I spend a lot of time riding with the motor switched off... Just to make sure I always have battery when I need it!! So I am getting a pretty good workout every time I hit the roaf.

And as per Hairy, it has all the metrics, can upload routes, etc, so it can basically be described as a glorified spinning bike that takes you places..

And I must admit, ebikes make you remember why you started riding in the first place, they are absolute fun.

Tomorrow I'll be heading over the mountain to work, will spend an hour mucking about; the exact same time it usually takes me in my van to drive the 10 kays to town..

Tom

You  really shouldn't have to ride with it off ( unless you're doing 130km trips or starting with half battery life ) 

16 hours ago, Shebeen said:

It's been about 5 years since this article was published, and the comments on it are a snapshot of how perceptions have changed. Just skimming the first few pages there are some interesting ones! Wonder how many people will come and say, I was wrong about this one, or.....I have now bought one and love it?

bliksem i was naive back then 

7 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

You  really shouldn't have to ride with it off ( unless you're doing 130km trips or starting with half battery life ) 

True, but I've got full-on range anxiety still! Have only 400 kays on the clock, so still busy figuring it out, as i don't SWMBO will be happy to come and fetch me 😂

On 1/17/2022 at 10:05 AM, ChrisF said:

Many airlines dont allow you to fly the battery with ....  THIS comes up often on EMBN.

Probably not as easy to fit into a bike bag, hire car etc as well. Also quite a bit heavier to lug about. 

Probably easy enough to rent in most countries now so maybe this isn’t a major thing 

11 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

On a visit to my LBS (West Coast Specialized) last year for some TLC on my current bike the owner duly informed me that she will give me a good trade-in on my bike since my next bike will be an e-bike. I just smiled and asked her if that new e-bike comes with a maintenance plan. Her response was not what I expected. She basically confirmed that this was something that was actually being considered.

I can see myself riding analogue for a long long time. I have a very laat lammetjie who is only just starting pre-school tomorrow. She'll be done with school as I get kicked to the kerb by the boss . . .

I won't be upgrading cars, bikes or pretty much anything else for the foreseeable future.

100% - after I posted yesterday I popped into chain reaction here and then down to the giant dealer in belfast, who is also the specialized dealer, as I need an axle which CRC didn’t have. Because ebikes were in my mind, I looked at a few whilst I was in town. Most look lovely, but I almost fell off my chair when I saw a specialized ebike for over £9000. Not sure how people afford them but good luck to those who can. Me, with one at university and another going to university at the end of next year, I’ll be a few years away from affording toys at that level. Also, my wife would divorce me. 

On 1/17/2022 at 10:27 AM, TIB said:

Save up Boet, it's hugely expensive...... spending the equivalent of 8 brand new top-end bikes on my Laatlammetjie's further education over the next four years....

I am nearly at the end of the road in terms of funding the education of my daughters

A timeline of

15 years at a private school in total

Older one - 5 years full time varsity and two years of articles. luckily her company paid for MBA

Younger one - 11years full time varsity. Bsc; Msc and Phd

We hired some of the Levo SLs recently from the Specialized Shop in Stellenbosch. It was an interesting day out on the trails. 
one of the considerations for me would be the benefit of an ebike vs the weight. I will live in 1st floor apartment when I retire next year. Carrying a 12kg bike vs 18 or 25kg ebike up stairs is a big change

Edited by I FLY
Added comments

8 hours ago, BigDL said:

100% - after I posted yesterday I popped into chain reaction here and then down to the giant dealer in belfast, who is also the specialized dealer, as I need an axle which CRC didn’t have. Because ebikes were in my mind, I looked at a few whilst I was in town. Most look lovely, but I almost fell off my chair when I saw a specialized ebike for over £9000. Not sure how people afford them but good luck to those who can. Me, with one at university and another going to university at the end of next year, I’ll be a few years away from affording toys at that level. Also, my wife would divorce me. 

My wife would divorce me too, for sure. But then I am very happy with my current bike and don't feel the need to upgrade. I may want to, but want should never trump need.

But then if I feel the need to go power over some rough terrain, I go do it in my 4x4 Isuzu. And in that I don't even break a sweat.

I can confidently state that I still won't be buying an e-bike - they're just too damn expensive.

Before I would even consider it, quite a few things still need to change around them that I feel they're not getting right.

Looks - I can only think of the Orbea that isn't ugly AF.

Weight - 24 kg is too much. Call me when you've lost some weight, and none of that Spez SL nonsense that sacrifices range and power. 

I don't get the point of 12 speed/520% range drive trains on an ebike. Of course more gears is better for spreading range, but it's an ebike - you're not relying on your legs for efficiency. Somehow I always thought a more compact 10 speed cassette with electronic shifting that's balanced with optimal cadence and torque output would be the way to go.

They're still not cool - especially when I only see a bunch of boomers on them.

6 hours ago, I FLY said:

15 years at a private school in total

Older one - 5 years full time varsity and two years of articles. luckily her company paid for MBA

Younger one - 11years full time varsity. Bsc; Msc and Phd

Your daughters are so blessed to have a dad who could invest in them in this way. I hope to be able to do the same for my princess and have already started the investing.

39 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

I can confidently state that I still won't be buying an e-bike - they're just too damn expensive.

Before I would even consider it, quite a few things still need to change around them that I feel they're not getting right.

Looks - I can only think of the Orbea that isn't ugly AF.

Weight - 24 kg is too much. Call me when you've lost some weight, and none of that Spez SL nonsense that sacrifices range and power. 

I don't get the point of 12 speed/520% range drive trains on an ebike. Of course more gears is better for spreading range, but it's an ebike - you're not relying on your legs for efficiency. Somehow I always thought a more compact 10 speed cassette with electronic shifting that's balanced with optimal cadence and torque output would be the way to go.

They're still not cool - especially when I only see a bunch of boomers on them.

So ugly...

SWorks Levo SL.jpg

Apart from being a proper purist just the hassle of all that extra stuff to worry about puts me off ebikes.

A front derailleur is excessive for me never mind battery, charging, wires, cintrols etc.

They have their place - just not between my legs :-)

20 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I was wrong.

Awesome to say that in such a black and white way without trying to justify perceptions at the time. kudos.

Looking back quickly at those initial posts, the one that still sticks out to me 5 years later is the fear that wankers are going to be just that and there is no easy way to control ebike wankers and the damage they can cause to trails (and cycling reputation and large). For me it is simple, education and acceptance - if we don't have a big analogue vs ebikers fight, then it's better for everyone.